Torquay United v Eastbourne Borough 13/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Nightrider
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Nightrider »

Looking forward to easter Monday to see us holding the trophy up,wonder if there will be a open bus tour around the town? :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Words can't describe how good this feels. Congratulations to GJ, the team, all the staff. What a season !!! National League here we come !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

IJN wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 17:05 Well done TUFC. Chuffed for my mate Southampton Gull.

Great recruitment by getting Johnston, what a coup that was. Getting rid of that oaf Owers wasn't a bad bit of business either.

Well done lads and lasses.
Just need the Greeks and the Skates to fluff their play-off hopes now ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Absolutely gutted not to be at Plainmoor today due to horrible virus.
Well done the boys and Gary Johnson and all his back up team.
It has been absolute pleasure to watch the team this season playing some truly wonderful football.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

2 things, I've just stopped crying my eyes out sat in my car, tears of unbridled joy, tears of relief & tears of great pride in my club.
I have never felt so much elation even with the playoff wins & Wembley appearances, today Gary Johnson & staff have made me the proudest man in Devon.
Thank you so so much, no matter what happens from here on in, I will never ever forget this special day, so once again thank a million.
And Dave ( Southampton ) ,you called it right all those weeks ago, well done & thanks.
Last edited by Teigngull on 13 Apr 2019, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Just so amazing.

So proud
Attachments
Screenshot_20190413-174045_WhatsApp.jpg
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

A funny old match, we stuttered to say the least but who cares!

A surreal moment came before the kick off as I had to turn Henning Wehn away! I was outside the stiles explaining that we'd sold the full allocation for the Pop side and that fans wishing to pay would have to go to the Babbacombe End. There he was in the queue, so I asked him for a joke and he said "Only if you let me in". He's appeared at the Babbacombe Theatre previously (my wife and I went to one performance) but he's not got a show today so he must be a new fan!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

As normal when you get a big crowd we didnt play our best game but who cares on a day like today!!

The way the results went there was always going to be a pitch invasion and fair play it quickly dissipated and the players could enjoy their moment

Of course some moron tried to run on and was rightly removed - que the 'hard youth' throwing their dummies around

All credit to GJ what a job he has done, truly remarkable given where we were when he arrived!

:scarf: :scarf:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yes, a great day, great result, poor performance and poor match! We only had 6 attempts on goal all game, 4 on target. One or two players had real shockers but Vincent and Andrews had good performances - shame that on so many occasions Andrews was free on the left and was ignored - a quick swap to the right and, low and behold, he scores. McDonald made one superb block to prevent an equaliser at 1-0 but otherwise had little to trouble him although he was the busier of the two keepers. Crowd great for the most part - 4,538 was creditable but shame we did not make the 5,000 - perhaps on Easter Monday?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

How apt our next game falls on Good Friday for was it not propheciesed in the Bible that after Gary Johnson had ascended to heaven, to the "right hand of God" he would return again to fulfill the rest of Messianic prophecy such as the resurrection of the Yellow Army,, and the establishment of the Kingdom of Torquay United. All praise King Gary in the Highest.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Teigngull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 17:32 2 things, I've just stopped crying my eyes out sat in my car, tears of unbridled joy, tears of relief & tears of great pride in my club.
I have never felt so much elation even with the playoff wins & Wembley appearances, today Gary Johnson & staff have made me the proudest man in Devon.
Thank you so so much, no matter what happens from here on in, I will never ever forget this special day, so once again thank a million.
And Dave ( Southampton ) ,you called it right all those weeks ago, well done & thanks.
I get what you mean Teigngull, when the second goal went in I got a bit emotional, a bit teary - I couldnt stand with my Dad on the pop today as usual (thanks to the absolute farce at the turnstiles) as we went at different times and I was in the away end but at the end of the game I was able to transfer and found him just as the Woking score was confirmed then the Champions picture went up on the scoreboard, bit teary again. Got home to the missus describing the afternoon, guess what then.

Not the best game but who cares, first time in the away end since the infamous night vs Scarborough in the 98 play off semi so that was a good omen. Today will be something I will never forget, doesnt matter what level we are at its a league title. I havent seen much at Plainmoor like those scenes at the end in my 32 years of support, apart from maybe my first match the infamous Bryn the police dog great escape, although for very different reasons, and you never know when or if you will ever see them again, lets hope its not too long though.

Anyway -
(8) You Are My Torquay
My only Torquay
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You’ll never know, just
How much I love you
Please don’t take my Torquay away
laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....). (8)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

Not the best match I've ever seen, but win ugly we certainly did, as champions do!!!!!!!! Well done to all those who predicted an easy title win because I thought it would be a lot closer. Never saw Woking only picking up 2 from 12 but we had our tough run a month ago and won and Woking didn't. Well done to all and enjoy tonight. Hate to look too far ahead but Notts County and Yeovil look top away days!!!!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

chunkygull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 19:32
I couldnt stand with my Dad on the pop today as usual (thanks to the absolute farce at the turnstiles) as we went at different times
Hi Chunkygull,

On a day of celebrations, I'm not sure what farce there was at the turnstiles as I thought that things went reasonably smoothly (far better than Boxing Day). If you are referring to the limit on paying entrants we'd been given an allocation of paper tickets as the balance after all the pre match sales had only left a few spaces left. The pop side was limited to what ever number the safety people dictate and we were stuck with that.

We sold out at about 2.30 if my memory is right but we were still letting season ticket and prebooked ticket holders in until the normal time.

I'm sorry that you were caught by these limits but I suppose that the answer is to buy now for Hungerford if you want to guarantee a place in the pop side.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Yep,agree with most of the sentiments expressed, a poor game overall, midfield missed hall hugely, and if you had said that janneh,kalala and reid had been introduced to each other in the warm up I would not have been surprised. Nevertheless we won and got promoted, Was I alone in thinking that although the largest crowd of the season the atmosphere was strangely flat, well until the final whistle.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Absolutely top draw. Cannot believe it's done and dusted with games to spare. GJ for a knighthood.
The Gary Johnson train is on the move and is not stopping until the premier league!