Torquay United v Eastbourne Borough 13/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great day, fair play to Eastbourne never thought they’d be that challenging to be honest. Quiet impressed by their No9 who went off early thank goodness

Never thought after the 1-0 loss at Oxford City and that soooo insignificant 0 - 0 draw at Gloucester that ultimately became soooo significant I’d be having a tear eyed moment today and such an enjoyable season.

Whoever it was at TUFC who made THAT decision

Thank you.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

gateman49 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 17:51

A surreal moment came before the kick off as I had to turn Henning Wehn away!
.....He's appeared at the Babbacombe Theatre previously (my wife and I went to one performance) but he's not got a show today so he must be a new fan!
You’re wrong there Andy! I’m sat watching him now at the Babbacombe Theatre! Very funny he is too !😀👍
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

culmstockgull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 20:11 Yep,agree with most of the sentiments expressed, a poor game overall, midfield missed hall hugely, and if you had said that janneh,kalala and reid had been introduced to each other in the warm up I would not have been surprised. Nevertheless we won and got promoted, Was I alone in thinking that although the largest crowd of the season the atmosphere was strangely flat, well until the final whistle.
Agree with that today. Kalala has been a match winner at times this season but today showed very little. I think Janneh has a great future, great attitude for a young lad who has just turned 19. Reid kept going but didn't really get a sniff today but worked so hard for the team. Eastbourne were an agrecultrial side who came and tested us rather than lie down and fair play to them. I thought their number 3 had a good game against Kalala. They are fighting against relegation. Our players have learnt how to win on these occasions 😁
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

culmstockgull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 20:11 Yep,agree with most of the sentiments expressed, a poor game overall, midfield missed hall hugely, and if you had said that janneh,kalala and reid had been introduced to each other in the warm up I would not have been surprised. Nevertheless we won and got promoted, Was I alone in thinking that although the largest crowd of the season the atmosphere was strangely flat, well until the final whistle.
No, you weren't alone in thinking that. Sometimes the atmosphere is better on a cold February Tuesday night with 1,400 (I'm old enough to remember such things) as everybody is there for the long haul. I think that it's partly to do with part time fans (I'm not belittling them as they are more than welcome) getting in between the regulars and breaking up their rhythm!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I suspect the fans just got nervous- as I think were the players. There is only one team in a large pack who ever become Champions. Marvellous.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Exeter crowd in playoffs 4103 with 270 away
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

CP Gull wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 20:30 You’re wrong there Andy! I’m sat watching him now at the Babbacombe Theatre! Very funny he is too !😀👍
Can’t be that good if you’re posting in the middle of his set.

Champions!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A brilliant day the player I love to watch played his worst game for us but it made my day when he got the winner to make it 2-0. :keepie: Well done everyone.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

That was so worth the 500-mile round trip. Just got in and I think it's only just sinking in.... TORQUAY UNITED...

CHAMPIONS!!!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Could be playing Stockport County next season, there's a team that's hasn't been around for a while.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

What a great day, I was up in Bristow's bench with the wife and three year old. Great atmosphere and although we didn't play to our best it was a fairly standard victory in the end. I though the Eastbourne keeper was the stand out for them apart from a couple of dodgy kicks. I'll be buying my tickets for Easter Monday that's for sure. Sky bet have already paid out on my 25/1 bet to win the league so all in all it's been a good day!
TUST No 278
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No problems getting in - we were actually let in the side gate next to the toilets even though there wasn't much of a queue at the main entrance - a common sense approach to getting everybody inside the ground.

The atmosphere during the match was strangely flat - nothing like the Chelmsford game but in truth there was probably more riding on that one.

We didn't play very well at all really but always looked like we would win against an Eastbourne side who were not much better than hopeless really. One of those days when nothing really came off for us and the brilliantly talented Kalala just couldn't beat an egg in the first half.

Connor Evans took a diabolical penalty which their keeper somehow made a hash of propelling it back across goal for Evans to toe in on the line - a real scramble but that reflected the game.

A marginal improvement in the second half but late on news filtered through that Chelmsford had doubled their lead and we suddenly looked a bit nervy at the back.

Finally the chance came as the ball at last fell for a Torquay player (Andrews) about 7 yards out - this was finally it - game, set, match and championship point to the Gulls.

And then it was all over as Andrews fairly fraped the ball into the roof of the net - we were champions, we had deservedly won the league. Some fantastic scenes at the end in particular a group of small kids running the length of the pitch and being embraced by the players at the away end. Delightful to watch.

Leaving the ground it was absolutely bloody freezing with a biting breeze. Couple this with the bone hard rutted pitch and it was easy to see why the football hadn't been all that.

A lower key day than I expected but we had done the job and a very satisfying drive home.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

What a day! I haven’t been able to get to many games this season due to work but I’m so glad I was there today. Well done to GJ and the boys for an amazing achievement. This one will live long in the memory. On a personal note it’s a double celebration for me as I’m now £650 richer 😁 COYY.
Attachments
5DFD4301-A3FE-407B-AFD9-464302910289.jpeg
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Markh84 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 22:24 What a day! I haven’t been able to get to many games this season due to work but I’m so glad I was there today. Well done to GJ and the boys for an amazing achievement. This one will live long in the memory. On a personal note it’s a double celebration for me as I’m now £650 richer 😁 COYY.
Well done, correction though, £625 richer actually!
Urban Spaceman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Urban Spaceman »

gateman49 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 22:30 Well done, correction though, £625 richer actually!
Maybe Markh84 had already written off the stake money in his mind ! :lol: