Tufc vs Pafc PSF 16/7

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Tufc vs Pafc PSF 16/7

Post by SBP »

Here we go then. First look at the pitch after the recent improvements. Hopefully a good crowd and a good performance.
Gull in black
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

3 - 1 win to the Gulls. A well deserved victory, fantastic game. Bring on the first league match.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

What a good friendly game Garry Johnson has a better side than last season we were quicker than Plymouth and have a good team spirit. I might be a little high just getting home but we were good. The 10 and left back were outstanding the rest of the side really good with youngsters added the last few minutes. :keepie:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

1394 from Plymouth in a crowd of just over 3300, so a decent turn out from both for sides for a PSF. Good and well deserved 3.1 win Little, Reid and Kalala all finding the net for the Gulls.

We all know you can't take to much from pre-season results, but, the one thing that did impress me tonight and a positive us fans can take from this game, was the intensity in our play, some of our passing and movement was right out of the top drawer, always looking a threat on the break.

little's free kick, well we've seen him do that before in a Woking shirt , worth the entrance fee on it's own, and the third goal impressive just how fast the team got up the pitch, nicely weighted ball for Kalala who's first time control set it perfectly to finish into the bottom corner, Duku looks a very useful addition, and the lad on trial believe his name is Buse, looked ok against much better opposition in Plymouth.

In the bread butter of the league nothing is guaranteed over 46 games, however if the team can keep that level of intensity up, not many teams will look forward to be playing against us, that's for sure.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I would sum up this PSF in 3 words.Hugely entertaining game.
We did not appear to have a single weak link. A very impressive performance against a team who last season were in League 1.
The Armani Little free kick was right out the top drawer.
Kalvin was at his electric best. I find it hard to think of another player quite like Kalvin. He is brilliant and must be a nightmare for defenders when he is on form. Deservedly MOTM.
Shaun MacDonald made several very good saves.
Some of our passing was superb and the counter attack for the third goal was breathtaking.
Very encouraged by this performance.Gary continues to work his magic aided by a very committed backroom team.
COYY
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Though was not at game myself I got a debrief from my dad who was at the game and encouraging all the way around. Yes only pre season but individual and team performances sounded very good.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

This was one of the most competitive PSF's I've ever seen. Very encouraging, Gary certainly has a different approach to these games than other managers. Frank Vincent was excellent at left back, never realised what a good left foot he had.
Tremendous strike from Little who looks a very good signing. Was impressed with no. 30 Buse ?
in midfield. Duku will be good when he sharpens up, should have scored on that through ball from Reid who showed some great turns , dummies and a nutmeg. Very satisfying to beat them even if it was a frienfly
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

What a great game that was. Firstly a mention to the Argle fans , great to see so many turning up, I cant remember seeing the away end so full, maybe when Leeds came down 4-5 years ago in the pre season?? Pitch looked great.
What i like in GJ is that whenever you pull the shirt on as a player he demands 100%. He wants/expects to win every game. That performance last night was right up there. Argle couldnt live with our intensity and tempo. Armani Little's free kick !! That was top draw. He gives us that extra physicality that i feel we need. Excellent signing. Duku reminds me of Zebroski a bit.He just seemed to slot in next to Jamie Reid and it looked like they had played together for ages.
Kalvin on his day is just a joy to watch, Argle just couldnt get near him last night. Frankie Vincent at left back, who d of thought that? He did extremely well.
Once again we created so many opportunities.
A nice moment seeing Louie Slough come on for Niate. A proud moment for Mum and Dad watching and especially for those who know Alan Slough(Grandad) who hasnt had the best of health recently.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A really enjoyable evening and with due respect to our two previous opponents, our first truly competitive challenge, speaking to Plymouth supporters, and thank you for swelling the crowd and making a great atmosphere, they fully expect automatic promotion this season with the heavy wage investment they have made.
That was very good footie and the type of play that puts bums on seats, Duku is a very useful addition, defenders will naturally crowd him and hopefully give Reidy more space and time and with Kalala causing mayhem down the flanks they will never be short of service.
Midfield I like, Little reminds me of a more robust version of Luke Young and in that area of the park we have strength in depth,
Niate seems to be still growing and rarely gets beaten in the air, on the ground he needs to work on his concentration levels for the full ninety minutes but that will come with experience, I hope at least one of Johnsons potential recruits is a very experienced central defender, competition for places in that area of the team is essential.
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

Reading the comments about Kalala. Sometimes last season he was frustrating to watch and wasn’t 100% consistent, a lot of this was down to new team, then a few niggling injuries. Reports from last night suggest he was on top form.

Can’t help thinking now after a settled season under his belt albeit the latter half, and with the pitch now back to what it should be, and the fact the pitches they’ll be playing on overall won’t resemble your local Sunday league pitch, we may see him being a key contributor to the season and drawing lots of fouls, penalties but also players out of position for Reid and others to expose.

Thoughts from those that went last night on whether you think having a nice flat pitch is conducive to his performance?
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

One major factor between the two sides was our consistency as most of players were here last season. We have never had that always around 8 players making there debut first time out. Plymouth have just been relegated so need time to get there season ready
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Almost as thrilling as the netball tournament :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: