Bromley v Torquay United 10/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Expectations are high and it’s easy to jump to conclusions even though we are just 3 games in.

GJ is great at helping the individuals and the team to bounce back and we as supporters have to play our part in encouraging the lads to do that too - they are professionals but they are human too and will need to build confidence at this stage, I’ve already been guilty of singling players out for critical feedback but on reflection it is still very early in the season and today was a great fight back and with tweaks we’ll be on our winning way. Individual mistakes will happen, but as professionals it’s the way in which you recover that separates the winners from the average.

We’ll keep moving onwards and upwards
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

A good point I didn’t expect after Tuesday, which is a positive reaction from the players. However, I did state that I felt McDonald should have been dropped for today, just to clear his head. Just like others in the squad are being rotated. Win on Tuesday and suddenly we will be in a great position.
Lucy
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Having just watched it again, Cameron loses his man on both goals. Don’t think you can blame Mcdonald for the 2nd goal when the guy has a free header.
TUST #324
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 02:37 A good point I didn’t expect after Tuesday, which is a positive reaction from the players. However, I did state that I felt McDonald should have been dropped for today, just to clear his head. Just like others in the squad are being rotated. Win on Tuesday and suddenly we will be in a great position.
I'm not surprised McDonald has come in for some criticism. I felt last season he had poor judgement and it was the quality, or lack of it, of our opponents that let him get away with it.
It's rare in football for goal keepers to be rotated and it would risk him losing confidence completely, which is a big risk since we have no idea how the Brazilian would cope at this level.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 09:07 I'm not surprised McDonald has come in for some criticism. I felt last season he had poor judgement and it was the quality, or lack of it, of our opponents that let him get away with it.
It's rare in football for goal keepers to be rotated and it would risk him losing confidence completely, which is a big risk since we have no idea how the Brazilian would cope at this level.
GJ probably thinks it's a close shave between them ! :~D
Watford Gull sort of
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Watford Gull sort of »

Horrible conditions across the country yesterday and I’m sure there were a fair few keeper errors. Looks like a tough start to the season but it’s not a bad start My first game for a couple of years on Tuesday so really looking forward to it. Any new signings to look out for? I presume you can pay on the day?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Watford Gull sort of wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 10:01 Horrible conditions across the country yesterday and I’m sure there were a fair few keeper errors. Looks like a tough start to the season but it’s not a bad start My first game for a couple of years on Tuesday so really looking forward to it. Any new signings to look out for? I presume you can pay on the day?
Yes you can, but it's so much easier to purchase on line & either download the ticket to your phone or print a copy of the ticket.
Watford Gull sort of
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Watford Gull sort of »

Cheers fella
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I appreciate that it was windy and hard for goalkeepers.

That's fair enough, however Macdonald's form (or lack of it) is certainly having an adverse effect on our results at the moment. We have scored three good goals yesterday where their keeper has had no chance.

Being charitable Macdonald has tipped the ball onto the bar for the second but he's at fault for the other two. Their keeper on the other hand hasn't made any errors for the goals (and indeed even got a hand to the penalty)

Similarly against Solihull Macdonald the tone by letting in the first goal (which he clearly is at fault with as well)

The Solihull keeper on the other hand has performed miracles in the second half (and also saved a penalty

He needs to up his game if he wants to stay in the team.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Watford Gull sort of wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 10:01 Looks like a tough start to the season but it’s not a bad start
I reiterate - better than Leyton Orient last season who only had 4 points after 4 games.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

MacDonald can only be at fault for the corner.

One of the rules of defending is the man you’re marking doesn’t score. Cameron let his man get away or offered no challenge. He didn’t anticipate Hall not making the headed clearance whereas the attacker did for the first goal.
TUST #324
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

Mellow - I agree. It's OK give it time. And give the Players faith. That'll repay.
Numpte - there's two 'E's in it ! ATB

IMHO a great result - listening on Radio 7000 miles away - our Boys fought back. It'll be OK. Just 3 games.
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

An impressive second half display, we are not far off getting it right. Defence just needs tweaking.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

penalties. Clearly the keeper got to Reids penalty but it just squeezed in. it's either the keepers are able to read him too easily or is it luck every time? Does Reid make it obvious where he is putting it? it would seem to be so.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 22:30 Expectations are high and it’s easy to jump to conclusions even though we are just 3 games in.

GJ is great at helping the individuals and the team to bounce back and we as supporters have to play our part in encouraging the lads to do that too - they are professionals but they are human too and will need to build confidence at this stage, I’ve already been guilty of singling players out for critical feedback but on reflection it is still very early in the season and today was a great fight back and with tweaks we’ll be on our winning way. Individual mistakes will happen, but as professionals it’s the way in which you recover that separates the winners from the average.

We’ll keep moving onwards and upwards
Great post! Thank the Lord for GJ and not for some of the clowns who post. As soon as we go 1-0 behind. They want half the team subbed and the other half transferred out!
Do you remember where we were this time last year!
4 points 3 game 2 away solid start . Last time we were in national league took us forever to win a gane.
In GJ we trust.