Torquay United v Harrogate Town 7/9/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Now I've seen the highlights Stead was incredibly unlucky to have been sent off. If that had been the other way round we would have been incandescent.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Modgull wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 08:17 Now I've seen the highlights Stead was incredibly unlucky to have been sent off. If that had been the other way round we would have been incandescent.
Oh dear, never mind...... :}
Its about time that we had a bit of luck like that! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Modgull wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 08:17 Now I've seen the highlights Stead was incredibly unlucky to have been sent off. If that had been the other way round we would have been incandescent.
He could have received bookings for several fouls he made, the ref gave him plenty of slack before he lost his patience and issued the second yellow.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

In reply to modgull's disappointment with the crowd size It purely reflects the way the team are playing. If we had been slaughtered at Woking on Tuesday then you can lose a few hundred on Saturday from the crowd we actually had. We have a core of about 2000 diehard fans that turn up regardless of the way we play, this is an improvement on the 1300 we were getting under previous managements. Yes ,we would all like to see bigger crowds but achieving a wish is sometimes harder than reality. To consistently get larger crowds you have to do one of two things, either half the entrance costs and stop charging three quid for a portion of chips or having got the punter through the gates you entertain them for two short periods of 45 minutes, something our team is still getting to grips with.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with the opinion that Stead's sending off was - let's say - unjust. However, what struck me more than anything else about the game was the rather inept penalty kick. Looking back over 56+ years of supporting United, I would have to say that the best penalty taker in those 56+ years was undoubtedly Paul Gibbs.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

wivelgull wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 11:14 I agree with the opinion that Stead's sending off was - let's say - unjust. However, what struck me more than anything else about the game was the rather inept penalty kick. Looking back over 56+ years of supporting United, I would have to say that the best penalty taker in those 56+ years was undoubtedly Paul Gibbs.

Blimey you really are a glass half empty type of person. I personally thought it was a great game with plenty of good stuff from us, far too much to dwell on a penalty kick!!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thought you might have said John Bond Wivel
Yes Gibbs was good. Reidy should watch Harry Kane , I wonder how often we practice penalties in training.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

desperado wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 12:32 I wonder how often we practice penalties in training.
All the evidence suggests never.....
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was on a Ferry Roscoff to Plymouth and followed the match on Herald Express Devon Live. Thanks Guy Henderson for live updates.

I think Jamie should watch Mark Noble of West Ham who has a superb record with penalties.

However Jamie should practice 50 penalties every training session and get Lucas and Shaun to compete to see how many Jamie can score. It works!!

Practice makes perfect.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SBP wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 09:44 He could have received bookings for several fouls he made, the ref gave him plenty of slack before he lost his patience and issued the second yellow.
Having seen the whole match (bar the first few minutes on duty), Stead was walking a tight rope by the time he got his second yellow and look at the ref showing him where he had previously incurred his displeasure while giving the first yellow. He got what he deserved.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

gateman49 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 15:00 Having seen the whole match (bar the first few minutes on duty), Stead was walking a tight rope by the time he got his second yellow and look at the ref showing him where he had previously incurred his displeasure while giving the first yellow. He got what he deserved.

Absolutely, watching highlights on TV doesnt show the full picture.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 12:53 The referee not to many complaints there, the key decisions think he got right, the Davis booking for diving rather than an award for a penalty, you just have to look at the reaction of Davis, and our team, Davis himself didn't put up much of a protest, the rest the no protest what so ever, they knew the ref was right, as for the Harrogate penalty think it was Cundy ( maybe wrong) his hands were on the back of their player, he's going down, more often than not, it's going to be given, apart from some cheap yellow cards, and some inconsistency on what was judged to be, or not to be a foul (normal) didn't think the referee was that bad.

For me sorry, but just have to be honest, nothing personal but Naite is a gord darn walking liability of a centre back at this level, can't see him getting back into the team for a while, Still like Cameron, seems to be having a his own personal confidence battle at the moment, but think he's got the potential to go on, sadly unlike Naite who seems to be a step above his level, Lucas Colovan seems to be gaining in confidence with every game, great to see him start to come a claim crosses, and gives us fans greater confidence to see the keeper hold to everything that comes his way.
Maybe I'm going soft in my old age, but I would say Harrogate, like Hartlepool last week, were a street-wise side and although I agree that the ref got the key decisions right (although Jon Stead's sending off was very harsh), there were many shoves, tugs etc he let go. Also, the booking of Frankie Vincent was ridiculous. I thought the ref was poor, but perhaps not quite as bad as last week's ref. I don't like criticising refs, but I thought those two were poor.

There has been some criticism of kyle Cameron for their second goal. It's hard to judge from where I was standing (on the halfway line) and I haven't watched the playback, but my first thought was that Covolan should have come for the cross and maybe Cameron expected him to do so. Kyle then got caught with the experienced Stead coming in behind. Apart from that 'blip', I thought Cameron had a very good game.

I very much disagree with Culmstock that fans are staying away because we are not playing consistently good football, or because the chips are £3. This is a much tougher league and we are not going to win every week, but I don't think any of us can complain about the entertainment value. One factor for the lower gate could be that the local sides started their season last week, so that might have knocked a hundred or two off the gate.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I'm guessing that Johnson had a real go at Andrews half time as he upped his game and created several chances got the penalty and scored the first goal.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

arcadia wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 15:51 I'm guessing that Johnson had a real go at Andrews half time as he upped his game and created several chances got the penalty and scored the first goal.
I'm guessing that he had a real go at all of them!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

As for the size of attendances , you have to factor in the fact that a lot of the clubs in this league are not supported in the way football league clubs are away from home.

Most lge 2 clubs would bring in the region of 250 + , some of the bigger clubs towards the 800-1000 taking our home gates towards the 3k mark on a regular basis.

Most of us regular 2500 die hard will put up with the inconsistency we've shown at home so far but a lot of floating supporters want a virtual guarantee we have more than a 50/50 chance of a home win.

The club has done so well to increase the average home gate from 1500 to their 2500 or so today by showing stability off the pitch to employing a PROPER football manager who knows what hes doing by providing a competitive (but inconsistent) team on the pitch. Keep winning at home & then the fans will return quicker than not.