Stockport County v Torquay United 28/9/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 22:56 Funnily enough there are no comments on here tonight from serial Reid hater Buffoonstockgull or Loony Lucy who said that all our players were shit.

Too embarrassed to make an appearance no doubt.
What a match. This bunch of players where on fire today, let’s hope they maintain that consistency. Sorry for the late reply brucie, but unlike you I saw the game today and it was an awesome performance. However if you had gone chesterfield like myself which you obviously didn’t, then maybe you can understand why I said the players where not good enough just like the end of the Eastleigh game. Maybe go to a game rather than radio coverage. Coyy
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Tongue in cheek - I'm glad you witnessed a win though. For personal reasons its difficult for me to get to games on a Saturday these days due to the amount of time I am away from home.

I normally try to make the Tuesday night games and was going to the Eastleigh game however got stuck in traffic on the way back from work not leaving me with enough time to make the journey.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well what a performance. Obviously my opening post was heeded re finishing and defending! :rofl:
Compare that to Chesterfield the other week.....Wow.
The plaudits will go to Reidy - cant see how they can take on of his goals of him! :@
Ben Whitfield & Matt Buse were excellent too.
Tactics and game plan spot on from GJ and the team. I must say I was slightly worried when I discovered that Stockport had signed ex Barnsley player Adam Hamill - having seen first hand what he can do in front of goal! But have to say that the defence kept him quite and he was subbed after 65mins.
Loved watching Kalala in the 2nd half taking them on like he can do.... needs to do it more!
A great performance and a clean sheet. Granted, they played within themselves 2nd half, but still managed to hit the bar twice!
Stockport hit the post via a deflected shot and CC had a few saves to make without too much trouble.
A great day out in rainy Lancashire!
Up the Gulls. :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This performance and result was much needed, great win, well done to all at the club, this result alone won't have much of an effect in terms of building confidence, need a couple more of the back of this to get some momentum going, but what it should do is finally drum home the message to the players, they are worthy, can compete at this level, and do have it within to push for a top 7 finish.

Back onto the subject of Jamie Reid. For start part of us fans being honest in our opinions, is having the ability to give credit where is due, not just level criticism, culmstockgull if your reading this, don't hide, your opinions are important as everyone else's, bit of praise where is due maybe?

Not so much on the forums, but around various social media platforms you still see a small minority of TUFC fans taking every opportunity to knock Jamie Reid, personally don't get it. Amongst a fair few very good posts on the Eastleigh match thread regards Reidy think it was SG who pointed out that Jamie Reid is vastly improved player and it's true.

The evidence is there for us all to see, it really doesn't matter the standard of opposition, it's the type and the variety of goals Jamie Reid is now scoring, he is by no means a one trick pony when it comes to scoring goals, which is what makes him so dangerous now. Over the course of last season, and the beginning of this season, we've seen it develop in Jamie Reid, he's scoring goals from 20 yards out with power and accuracy, as well as those tap in's, we've seen him score with his head now, that said for me the pick of the bunch was the goal v Aldershot on the TV for all to see, that was all about awareness there was space in behind the centre back, the presence of mind to turn the defender to get into the space, but to cap it all of decision making, had he gone for power, he'd have lost the accuracy and probably not scored, but to gently lift the ball into the bottom corner, was the sign of a genuine accomplished finisher.

The final point which again shows just how far Jaime Reid has come under Gary Johnson's guidance is, the last few games have been difficult and some what frustrating for Reidy , the Jaime Reid of 18 months ago would have lost confidence, gone missing mentally, and probably lost his place, to come back from a few tough games and grab himself a couple of goals shows he's added a more ingrained self belief and is a mentally tougher player, which in turn makes him a more complete player.

Time for us fans to stop doubting Jamie Reid, and if your reading this Jamie, don't let anyone ever try to convince you, that don't have the ability and confidence to score goals at this level or higher.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 13:56 This performance and result was much needed, great win, well done to all at the club, this result alone won't have much of an effect in terms of building confidence, need a couple more of the back of this to get some momentum going, but what it should do is finally drum home the message to the players, they are worthy, can compete at this level, and do have it within to push for a top 7 finish.

Back onto the subject of Jamie Reid. For start part of us fans being honest in our opinions, is having the ability to give credit where is due, not just level criticism, culmstockgull if your reading this, don't hide, your opinions are important as everyone else's, bit of praise where is due maybe?

Not so much on the forums, but around various social media platforms you still see a small minority of TUFC fans taking every opportunity to knock Jamie Reid, personally don't get it. Amongst a fair few very good posts on the Eastleigh match thread regards Reidy think it was SG who pointed out that Jamie Reid is vastly improved player and it's true.

The evidence is there for us all to see, it really doesn't matter the standard of opposition, it's the type and the variety of goals Jamie Reid is now scoring, he is by no means a one trick pony when it comes to scoring goals, which is what makes him so dangerous now. Over the course of last season, and the beginning of this season, we've seen it develop in Jamie Reid, he's scoring goals from 20 yards out with power and accuracy, as well as those tap in's, we've seen him score with his head now, that said for me the pick of the bunch was the goal v Aldershot on the TV for all to see, that was all about awareness there was space in behind the centre back, the presence of mind to turn the defender to get into the space, but to cap it all of decision making, had he gone for power, he'd have lost the accuracy and probably not scored, but to gently lift the ball into the bottom corner, was the sign of a genuine accomplished finisher.

The final point which again shows just how far Jaime Reid has come under Gary Johnson's guidance is, the last few games have been difficult and some what frustrating for Reidy , the Jaime Reid of 18 months ago would have lost confidence, gone missing mentally, and probably lost his place, to come back from a few tough games and grab himself a couple of goals shows he's added a more ingrained self belief and is a mentally tougher player, which in turn makes him a more complete player.

Time for us fans to stop doubting Jamie Reid, and if your reading this Jamie, don't let anyone ever try to convince you, that don't have the ability and confidence to score goals at this level or higher.
Agree Dave.
He has improved over time.
His goal v the Shots was good, but the one he scored yesterday was better!
Taking the ball off the defender at halfway and then running at and taking on the two defenders was sublime and using Ben Whitfield as the decoy before placing the ball into the bottom corner.
Class. :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I think that forevertufc is spot on in his comments concerning Jamie Reid. I was one of the many people who doubted if Reid was good enough at this level. As I posted a few weeks ago, Jamie has consistently proving that I was wrong. There is nothing I like better than to criticise a Torquay United player and be proved wrong.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Poor ol' Culmstockgull has taken some 'stick' on here following yesterday's match. In his defence, whilst I do not agree with his views, I bet anyone who had predicted that we would be 4 - 0 up away to Stockport by half time would have been called a buffoon! That's the frustration of this game we love, and especially TUFC - it's so unpredictable. I was very critical of Rhys Murphy when he was with us, but he scored over 20 goals for Chelmsford last season and now he's getting a few for Yeovil as they move up the table.

Unexpected result after the last two home games so let's hope this is the start of a decent run of results. Another good post by Forever, by the way. Thank goodness for some sanity on the Forum!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 19:30 There is nothing I like better than to criticise a Torquay United player and be proved wrong.
As Oscar Wilde once said, “Criticism is the only reliable form of autobiography." It tells you more about the psychology of the critic than the player he or she criticises.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Was my first game of the season, so it was just nice to be there and see a few of the players for the first time.

The first 10/15 minutes I actually thought was a bit cagey, and the defence looked like there could be a mistake around the corner. Fortunately we got the first goal, which was a clear pull back on Cundy. Reidy tucked it away and we never looked back. That settled us down and between the first goal and half time, we cut through them like the proverbial hot knife through butter, and had 4 by half time as well as making some other good chances. Stockport had no answer to our counter-attacking football and their defence fell to pieces. I think it was a good time to play them, but we made the most of the opportunity and put together a thumping win, against a side with a similar FL history and also new to the division.

Whitfield was playing somewhere between midfield and attack, and they never got close to him. Both own goals came from his good balls into the box - one was obvious and the first one was slightly less clear, with Reid and the defender a lot closer together, but to me it looked like an own goal straight away, so I didn't get over enthusiastic about the hat-trick at the time.

Kalala was unplayable - there was one run that was literally the entire length of the pitch and past half their team, which created a good chance. A minute later his flick set Whitfield away for the own goal. He reminded me a lot of Mustapha Carayol at the end of the 2009/10 season, especially Grimsby away, when he looked a level above anyone else. We've got to get him tied down for as long as we can, as players that can be that destructive don't come about that often - every 10 years in our case... We missed out on making the most out of Carayol, and need to do anything we can to get that out of Kalala.

The second half was a bit flat, which is fair enough given the situation. 4-0 was fine for us, and a clean sheet was probably a bigger boost to us than another goal. Other than one deflected effort off the post, they didn't look like troubling us. We didn't create the same number of chances but hit the bar twice and the midfield controlled the game, which from reading reports doesn't sound like something we've always done this season.

We need to put a little run together to climb the table, but that's a great result to build on and another win next Saturday puts us back in a strong position - especially with our three first choice central midfielders at the start of the season + Opi still to come back.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Noone would have predicted that we would have won 4-0 but Buffoonstockgull deserves all he got

We don't all agree but his ludicrous criticism of Reid after the Eastleigh game and calls for him to be dropped in favour of Duku (yes really) were quite bizarre in the extreme.

No wonder he hasn't been on - he's clearly got a secret mancrush on Jamie. He's probably exhausted been up all night with one hand on his love wand and the other on the rewind button of his remote control , playing Reids third goal over and over again.

Time he came out the closet :O :O