Torquay United v Stockport 30/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

That was embarrassing.we need an experienced centrehalf but keep signing forward plsyers.4 clean sheets is not good enough.seem to need to score 3 or 4 to win games
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

That was just pathetic. Stockport couldn't believe their luck, Xmas come early for them. Defensively a complete shambles.
I just don't get it, why are we rotating GK? Why was Reid starting??He was hobbling around from the start. I m not Keating's biggest fan but how did he not feature in some way.
Today's performance was summoned up completely when McDonald took a free kick 20yards inside our half, totally skyed it and only made 20yards into the oppositions half.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Normally I would agree with Forever but have to take issue over the goalkeepers. We have had poorer keepers in the past and not looked anywhere near so leaky.

We did not lose today because of McDonald - he actually kept us in the game in the first half with two excellent one-on-one saves and could not be faulted with any of the five that went in. However, what is immediately in front of him IS shocking. Cundy was unbelievably poor today and Cameron only marginally better. Although Stockport had one up front they could not cope with him and was consistently able to hold play up and bring their pacey wingers onto the ball.

We played with the wind first half and created 7 chances but only 2 on target. I feared we would not be able to cope when we turned round and that is how it was. Only 4 attempts, 2 on target and the goal after half time. Stockport in contrast had three great chances in the first half which they contrived to mess up - the score should really have been 1 - 8.

Apart from McDonald only three others had anything close to acceptable games and they were Whitfield (my 'MOTM'), CLE and Kalala (both the latter two as substitutes). Hall, Buse, Reid and Janneh were frankly awful. McNulty tried hard but was well marshalled by an experienced full back - it was man and boy stuff. Wynter and Medford-Smith tried hard to help create an attacking threat but were part of an overall incompetent defence so must share some of the blame for the result.

Thought Lewington showed that he could play the target man if we need to go long - he roughed their CBs up in the way ours were throughout the match.

The referee was poor but no excuse for our own incompetence. The crowd at over 2,600 was creditable including a tremendous 360 or so from Stockport.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Couldn't believe how easily they were getting through us and causing chaos in our defence. They could have been 4 up at half time. We looked sluggish and I'll say it yet again , second to the ball Why is this ? We've been shipping goals all season 41 now , this is relegation form especially as we have stopped scoring. What was it 4 more changes today - Keating must be really pissed off, hardest trier in the team , scores and gets dropped
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Don't understand the dislike of Keating generally puts in 100% commitment but to no avail
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

greb46 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 19:40 Don't understand the dislike of Keating generally puts in 100% commitment but to no avail
Agree.
Expect to see him starting at Harrogate.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Before the rose tinted brigade invade the forum blaming the ref (strange how every other team manages to play the ref successfully),the floodlights, the wind blowing in the wrong direction, the buffet running out of hot chocolate anything but accepting the shortcomings we so obviously have, even by their own standards of positivity they would have to agree that today we were totally inept on the scale of Gary Owers inept. In fact the only players that I would not criticise are the two new signings who deserve more than one outing in such a dysfunctional team. I couldn't believe, but very pleased on seeing the team warming up , I did not expect to see Reid, Hall or Evans, Reid from minute one should not have been playing, Hall and Evans both showed their lack of game time. Buse needs taking out of the firing line , any chance of him becoming a long term professional footballer will be totally destroyed if he is expected to do a job that he came late in life to learn. Keating should have started , goodness knows why not, he is a strong character and nobody's yes man something that perhaps Johnson dislikes. Perhaps, now people will accept that our centre half's are not up to this league. I would have left after three but I think I was in shock that I had actually paid to watch this garbage.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I too came away from Plainmoor today embarrassed.
Lets be honest we have a good deal of talent but we have conceded 41 goals in 24 games and 20 of them at Plainmoor
Solihull have conceded 23 in 23 games.
Only 2 teams have conceded more than United and they are both in the bottom 3!
Gary and Aaron need to stop the video every time Stockport attacked and look at our shape. A complete shambles.
Then look at Solihull and their shape. It is night and day.Why?
I will tell you why. Every player should know his job and know his position.
At times it was like watching schoolboy football. We do not work as a team when defending. Every successful team is built on a solid defence.
We need an experienced goalkeeper and a tough Centre back. Cundy today was shocking and it hurts me to say this but he truly was.
I do not want us to be a boring 1-0 win team I love our Football when we play well but in this League you cannot play all out attack because you will be found out.
We have to get the balance right and also Hall and Reid were not fit to start today.
I know we lack our best midfield and Liam Davis but we have to be realistic and play a lot tighter until everyone is fit.
I felt sorry for McNulty today because he looked good in the first 20 minutes.
We need to go to Harrogate and concentrate on keeping a good solid shape in defence.
Conceding 8 goals in 2 games is just crazy. It has to stop. Sorry but it needs saying and the truth often hurts.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Good post Portugull, think you covered it all
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 18:17 Doesn't matter to me Troj me ol' cock.
Torquay United through thick and thin. Win. lose or draw. :clap:
...and me, lose, lose or lose.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gateman49 wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 20:50 ...and me, lose, lose or lose.
Obviously you've never seen us win then.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 20:56 Obviously you've never seen us win then.
Being the age I am, I can't remember!
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Hi Trojan 67 and Supernickywroe. So I'm dawlishmuttface now, am I ? I had a very interesting day today. At plainmoor I met a lovely couple from Accrington who are Stockport county supporters and they and my two grandsons watched the match together. Afterwards we went to the Premier Inn at Newton Abbot racecourse and had a lovely meal. The couple from Accrington are staying at the pub for 3 nights. This evening we've all been having a great laugh at your comments, and my youngest grandson who's 9 years old now has a new name to call me.. Our new friends think, having read yours and other people's comments, that it's so sad that because you disagree with certain comments that me and others post, that you have to resort to insults. They can't believe that we share the same thing, our love for Torquay United football club. Having just watched Gary Johnson on his post match video interview, I thought he came across as being quite pathetic really. I understand from a source close to the club that a number of players are concerned as regards Johnson's man management. I know that many players are disillusioned with the sorry state of affairs at the club at present. If Johnson doesn't start turning the club around quickly,. he's going to loose the dressing room. No manager, not even Gary Johnson is as big as the club and to be honest, the stories I've heard coming out of plainmoor in recent weeks, I say the sooner he's gone, the better. So Trojan 67 and Supernickywroe, put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

dawlishmatt wrote: 30 Nov 2019, 21:29 Hi Trojan 67 and Supernickywroe. So I'm dawlishmuttface now, am I ? I had a very interesting day today. At plainmoor I met a lovely couple from Accrington who are Stockport county supporters and they and my two grandsons watched the match together. Afterwards we went to the Premier Inn at Newton Abbot racecourse and had a lovely meal. The couple from Accrington are staying at the pub for 3 nights. This evening we've all been having a great laugh at your comments, and my youngest grandson who's 9 years old now has a new name to call me.. Our new friends think, having read yours and other people's comments, that it's so sad that because you disagree with certain comments that me and others post, that you have to resort to insults. They can't believe that we share the same thing, our love for Torquay United football club. Having just watched Gary Johnson on his post match video interview, I thought he came across as being quite pathetic really. I understand from a source close to the club that a number of players are concerned as regards Johnson's man management. I know that many players are disillusioned with the sorry state of affairs at the club at present. If Johnson doesn't start turning the club around quickly,. he's going to loose the dressing room. No manager, not even Gary Johnson is as big as the club and to be honest, the stories I've heard coming out of plainmoor in recent weeks, I say the sooner he's gone, the better. So Trojan 67 and Supernickywroe, put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to say absolute b****y rubbish. If we lose Gary Johnson we might as well all pack up and go home!!!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

So this is being helpful is it Matt ? . You obviously don't like Johnson and you are making a crusade of it. If you really supported Torquay you would hope that you were totally wrong in your view rather than believing you were right about anything and everything. Football is totally unpredictable and that's part of its attraction. We are four points off the play offs after a really significant injury situation and those are facts. You don't know what will happen by the end of the season and neither does anyone else. Character assassins like you frankly sicken me.