National League Wealdstone v Torquay United Tuesday 1st Dec 19.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Great result, 10 games gone, 6 away and 4 at home, 25 points, fans back!
oxgull 59
Trialist
Trialist

Post by oxgull 59 »

Still trying to get used to the Gulls being on top of the league!! Nice to be looking down. Yes, great result tonight guys COYYS!!!!!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Southampton gull is being generous and saying a hard fought win, Corners and free kicks in the final third for us were in the high 20's and converted into less than a handful of chances,we did not win hardly any second balls all night,I hope Wright's halftime substitution was tactical as opposed to another injury. Hall and whitfield were on their knees come the final whistle. Waters looked sharp.so did Cameron, someone please remind him he is a centre half, Randell came very close to getting sent off two games running and I am glad Johnson replaced him.Hard fought maybe but we need to sharpen up bigtime.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 22:04 Southampton gull is being generous and saying a hard fought win..... Hall and whitfield were on their knees come the final whistle. Waters looked sharp.so did Cameron, someone please remind him he is a centre half, Randell came very close to getting sent off two games running .......we need to sharpen up bigtime.
Eh? Come on Culmstock, talk about cup half empty.

Yes it was hard fought and I suspect that most of the Wealdstone team were on their knees, they certainly looked it. Randell was booked for his first challenge which was innocuous and the ref was very inconsistent.

We need to sharpen up by as much as GJ wants and I'm sure that he'll tell them where they could do better. Big time though? I suspect that the Yeovil manager might be telling his players that, we're top of the league for goodness sake!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Didn't win any second balls all night ???
What?
We were well on top first half , they scored from a break against the run of play.
Second Wealdstone played very well and fought very hard . A couple of real Lineker like opportunist goals from Waters.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 22:04 Southampton gull is being generous and saying a hard fought win, Corners and free kicks in the final third for us were in the high 20's and converted into less than a handful of chances,we did not win hardly any second balls all night,I hope Wright's halftime substitution was tactical as opposed to another injury. Hall and whitfield were on their knees come the final whistle. Waters looked sharp.so did Cameron, someone please remind him he is a centre half, Randell came very close to getting sent off two games running and I am glad Johnson replaced him.Hard fought maybe but we need to sharpen up bigtime.
A tad harsh your critic of the match - we pressed well but fair do's to Wealdstone they played a high line to counter the pressure - risky - but nonetheless effective on the day. Johnson knew the game was there for the taking and credit to him for having the balls to reshape the team at half time with an offensive attack having faith in his defence to deal with Wealdstone's counter-attacks. Not sure we need to sharpen up rather find the killer instinct in front of goal - luckily we had the experience of Waters to show how it is done. As for Cameron he reminds me of a young Franz Beckenbauer - if anyone is old enough to remember him - who introduced the attacking sweeper style of play.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Franz Beckenbauer now there was a player. I don't mind him charging up field as long as he gets some cover....Total football !!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Quite ludicrous to suggest that our players were "tired" at the end. Wealdstone were completely bolloxed after an hour. On another day we could have been 3 goals up at the break. Being 1 down at half time was a complete fluke given the run of play.

So it was always going to be a scrap after half time but we ran out deserved winners at the end - 5 away wins on the trot and still people are not happy.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Very niggly game, we looked the more likely to score but final ball let us down. They are a battling unit Wealdstone and should finish top half. These games in previous seasons we would have lost. The best is yet to come from us and despite this we are still winning. COYY
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 22:40 Quite ludicrous to suggest that our players were "tired" at the end. Wealdstone were completely bolloxed after an hour. On another day we could have been 3 goals up at the break. Being 1 down at half time was a complete fluke given the run of play.

So it was always going to be a scrap after half time but we ran out deserved winners at the end - 5 away wins on the trot and still people are not happy.
:goodpost:

Thought we were the better team throughout the 90+ minutes and deserved the win.
On a better day we would have scored 5.
As soon as we equalised, there was only going to be one team winning it.
Don't know what's wrong with some on here.........
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

" Don't know what's wrong with some on here........."

Incredible top of the league on a great run and still people nit pick ! Jeez after all this is still the 5th div folks !!!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

There must be something in the waters !
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

culmstockgull wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 22:04 Southampton gull is being generous and saying a hard fought win, Corners and free kicks in the final third for us were in the high 20's and converted into less than a handful of chances,we did not win hardly any second balls all night,I hope Wright's halftime substitution was tactical as opposed to another injury. Hall and whitfield were on their knees come the final whistle. Waters looked sharp.so did Cameron, someone please remind him he is a centre half, Randell came very close to getting sent off two games running and I am glad Johnson replaced him.Hard fought maybe but we need to sharpen up bigtime.
Gary Johnson said that Wright was taken off at half time because he been I'll for a few days in the lead up to the game. It looks like it was a precaution.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Still think Notts County could be our biggest threat. They could go from 11th to 3rd with a win tonight. Eastleigh looking strong too with several games in hand. Think Gary reckoned 2 points a game to win the league
so we are in credit