What Has Gone Wrong?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Sutton have lost 4 times on their pitch this season includes two cup games but agree we are not going to win there
It really would be a disaster if we didn't make the playoffs. Surely we can muster another 23 points from 19 games.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

brucie wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 12:14 Think a top three finish is unrealistic with the team we have (or are able to put on the pitch)

I totally agree, we have matched the Liverpool slide since Christmas (both teams won seven goal thrillers then the rot set in) and my half full cup is now half empty.

p.s. Refilling the cup, let's turn the situation on its head. So, if we had arrived in last night's new table position from the other direction we'd all be jumping with joy.
Last edited by gateman49 on 10 Mar 2021, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Great to see Mr Positive on the TUFC website. Whits proving again his commitment and nous. He want his mate AN on the right wing though relieving a bit of the pressure Whits is getting currently.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

And what have both Liverpool and Torquay had ? - a sackful of injuries. And thats what both Man City and Sutton have very few of. People blame tactics, individual players, the management, lack of ambition/nous. At the end of the day if you have anything approaching our injury list coupled (with a pheripheral geographic position ) you are in real trouble. It's got little to do with anything else. How far with we can scramble back only time will tell. It clearly isn't going to be easy but it's not impossible either.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Dazza wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:43 ...coupled (with a pheripheral geographic position )...
Have you been reading the Karma Sutra?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Very good!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dazza wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:43 And what have both Liverpool and Torquay had ? - a sackful of injuries. And thats what both Man City and Sutton have very few of. People blame tactics, individual players, the management, lack of ambition/nous. At the end of the day if you have anything approaching our injury list coupled (with a pheripheral geographic position ) you are in real trouble. It's got little to do with anything else. How far with we can scramble back only time will tell. It clearly isn't going to be easy but it's not impossible either.
It's simple for me. We've lost the spine of our team and even Liverpool couldn't compete without that. We will come back at them as soon as we have a smaller injury list and in my opinion Sutton are grinding out results but recently they've only been able to do that really late on so let's see how they handle the pressure of leading the table.

I'm backing the manager, coaching staff and the scouting network.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 09:40 It's simple for me. We've lost the spine of our team and even Liverpool couldn't compete without that. We will come back at them as soon as we have a smaller injury list and in my opinion Sutton are grinding out results but recently they've only been able to do that really late on so let's see how they handle the pressure of leading the table.

Totally agree Dave and I for one am looking forward to an exiting end to the season with us being at the front of it. Oh and I am also a Liverpool fan so not been a good couple of months for me!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Sutton have a massive advantage by playing home games on a poor excuse of a football pitch.

They have an ethos of getting the ball into the box as quickly impossible, and normally a goal or two will win them the game as I am firmly of the opinion that whoever they play cannot cope with the surface. Wrexham for example have two dangerous strikers but basically didn't create anything in the game, because basically it is impossible to control the ball.

They do have some luck however - late winners. lack of injuries. They do have a run of away games now however and face a trip to Kings Lynn on Saturday.

Normally they are hard to beat - but have got beaten 3-1 and 3-0 by Wealdstone and Woking in the last two games. It now seems that KIngs Lynn are struggling to field 11 fit players on Saturday due to an injury crisis - so it looks like another Sutton win. Quite unbelievable really.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 09:40 It's simple for me. We've lost the spine of our team and even Liverpool couldn't compete without that. We will come back at them as soon as we have a smaller injury list and in my opinion Sutton are grinding out results but recently they've only been able to do that really late on so let's see how they handle the pressure of leading the table.

:goodpost:
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I agree with Brucie here. Sutton are on a run of total jam. Before the run of goals in,the last minutes, they had a run of opposition send offs. Given that and the plastic advantage they are about as loveable as whining Meghan.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Did you see the first Sutton goal v Yeovil. Gift wrapped sums it up.
ShropGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ShropGull »

The turn round starts this coming Saturday. Looking at our next four games, the management, back room staff and our current squad of players have a big opportunity to dictate the destiny of the club on the field. Hopefully, as more players return from injury, Gary will be able to play the players in their best positions and most importantly enable them to regain the confidence of winning again - even if it means scoring in Gary time, which Torquay were becoming known and feared for. Of course, this is Torquay and it will not all be plain sailing, but this is the time to capitalise on others' poor form and this could be our best opportunity to push for promotion with four straight wins. Meanwhile, forget Sutton, they are not invincible as four teams have already shown and at the end of the season two teams will be going up. United we stand.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What players are coming back from injury though?

Nemane has been reported as being out for another one/two months so season over perhaps. he's a massive loss. Warren? - nobody knows what injury he has - complete and utter waste of space. Moxey? whenever he returns he will be gone again after 1 or 2 games. Wright? wishful thinking that he's going to be anywhere near match fit any time soon. Cameron- another massive loss but another hamstring injury so probably not anytime soon I guess.

Basically that leaves us with any injury to the likes of Wynter, Lewis or Sherring seriously leaving us weaker than we are already and defensively up shit creek. Whose poor form are you talking about? Suttons or Hartlepool?

The players have the opportunity to dictate the destiny of the club in any game that they play - but with 3 games in 7 days theres probably more likelihood of us ending up with a weaker starting eleven than a stronger one.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

brucie wrote: 12 Mar 2021, 10:49 What players are coming back from injury though?

Nemane has been reported as being out for another one/two months so season over perhaps. he's a massive loss. Warren? - nobody knows what injury he has - complete and utter waste of space. Moxey? whenever he returns he will be gone again after 1 or 2 games. Wright? wishful thinking that he's going to be anywhere near match fit any time soon. Cameron- another massive loss but another hamstring injury so probably not anytime soon I guess.

Basically that leaves us with any injury to the likes of Wynter, Lewis or Sherring seriously leaving us weaker than we are already and defensively up shit creek. Whose poor form are you talking about? Suttons or Hartlepool?

The players have the opportunity to dictate the destiny of the club in any game that they play - but with 3 games in 7 days theres probably more likelihood of us ending up with a weaker starting eleven than a stronger one.
:goodpost: Sadly that is the truth of it.