PSF - Torquay v Plymouth - 31/07/21

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

brucie wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 23:26 The triallist who played up front was Dan Holman - played under Johnson at Cheltenham about five years ago but seems to have dropped off the planet since then. Most recently got released by Brackely after scoring 1 goal in 15 appearances.
I'm not convinced that the trialist was Dan Holman. While there's a definite GJ connection, Holman is 31 and I don't think the trialist looked old enough. Also, Holman retired last season and supposedly move to Dubai with his wife.
TUST member 203
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

divingbboy wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 09:21 I'm not convinced that the trialist was Dan Holman. While there's a definite GJ connection, Holman is 31 and I don't think the trialist looked old enough. Also, Holman retired last season and supposedly move to Dubai with his wife.
Just done a search and trialist B certainly looks like Dan Holman!!
Lacked pace and creativity yesterday!! Thought Dan Martin provided that against Truro. As others have said pre season is difficult to judge a player. Guess we will see what each player is made of come first game of the season. Randall was outstanding yesterday!! Good luck to him. He certainly put a shift in for us last year!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Who ever he was he was not the answer 16 was useful but was tired the last part of the game. Jake did ok but he is more useful wide left, Olaf is not affective wide and needs to be central.
We did well until Ali came off when we got caught out by a lack of pace on two occasions. If Garry can get two players on loan with pace a wide right player and a centre half I hope Sherring comes back. The keeper did ok but needs more confidence releasing the ball early to the fullbacks. I think Garry has done a good job replacing the players that have left it just needs finishing off.
smw1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by smw1989 »

After calming down after yesterday’s game I don’t think it was too bad, we were looking good until Ali went off and then it was a error by Wunter covering at cb where he couldn’t get the ball from under his feet which allowed nial Ennis to then make a break for it and I do think halstead should of saved it as the ball went right accross him which should be an area he should have covered but like the comment above it just needs a couple more signings… Gary Johnson will no doubt be looking at Bournemouth U23’s and I would be surprised if we perhaps got a couple players from Sunderland.

Trialist B was definitely Dan Holman and I for one am not interested in a player who can’t score regularly in the divisions below us I’d rather have keating back
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Highlights

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Other than making up numbers I am totally against triallists, They turn up looking for a contract and logically know they have to play out of their skin, but will they do that for the majority of the season, I am not convinced, I liked Holman for his experience and he is known to Johnson .However 13 clubs in 11 years, farmed out on loan left,right and centre tells me there is an issue with either his commitment or attitude or doesnt play nicely with others. I would much rather have a player that we have researched and as far as humanely possible know will fit into our way of doing things.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Dan Holman is, I am sure, not the answer. Think Rory Fallon from the dark Nicholson days. Semi retired with his best days long gone.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

Yes holman has hardly played for 2 years crocked. Fits well for us then........