Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Well well, I did not expect Woking to win at BW, does that make 7th a target now rather than Notts in 6th? 2 games in hand for BW now, BW losing is more significant than if Grimsby had lost IMO
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I don't think we'll catch Notts. They have very easy games.
BWood have games in hand but are on a poor run of form. If that continues we can catch them.
But we also need to overtake Grimsby (as well as Dagenham & Bromley), unless a higher team drops a lot of points but I can't see that happening. All who played won today.
I think we'll need to win at Grimsby if we're going to make the top seven.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think when it comes to the end of the season awards, think there should be special award presented to standupsitdown and admiral for optimism above and beyond the call :)

Sorry to be negative , 166 posts on this subject quite incredible, if the truth be known our chances of making the play-offs ended late December when leading at Eastleigh and dominating to lose 2.1, our chances of making making the play-offs ended when QPR wouldn't allow us to keep Armstrong and no even close to like for like replacement was sourced , our chances of making the play-offs ended when no attacking width, with genuine pace was brought in to replace Whitfield and Nemane.

The final nails were put in our play-off coffin when the team let a 2 goal slip against Dagenham and Barnet, add 4 to 6 points on to our total and we'd be in touching distance, I've looked at final fixtures, beating on Aldershot and Weymouth two of the three worst teams in the division is one thing, and yes they were great results, but some of the teams we've got left our 4 levels above those two.

I've tried to look at our remaining fixtures from my head not heart, and I have us finishing on 65 points, adding in a +/- error of 3 points. so anywhere between 62 and 68 points, would be happy to eat as much humble pie as you can chuck at me.

This season will in my belief will end in abject failure, we as a club from top to bottom through to us fans have to start demanding better, instead of whining on with piss poor excuses, no we can't compete with the biggest budgets and no it's not about expecting promotion every season, but our club is with out doubt with in the seven biggest clubs in this division, a play-off place should with in our reach comfortably.

Our squad has had a massive in-balance between inexperience and players who have gone a season pasts their best, hoping Gary Johnson has a massive clear out, whole playing squad needs a complete rethink.
Formerly known as forevertufc
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

forevertufc wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 17:17 our chances of making making the play-offs ended when QPR wouldn't allow us to keep Armstrong and no even close to like for like replacement was sourced , our chances of making the play-offs ended when no attacking width, with genuine pace was brought in to replace Whitfield and Nemane.
This, this is what I have said all along. Our best spell last season was when we used the width and had two half decent players we could utilise down the wings. Of all the players that left this is what we have badly missed and where we have been lacking most this season.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

I agree with forevertufc, it's 95% likely we won't make the play-offs. But each game/week has significance, and momentum plays a big part (we also have to play Dagenham and Grimsby).

After the Halifax home defeat in November we were heading into what some were calling a 'relegation battle' at Weymouth. We had 18 points from 17 games, 12 off the play-offs and 4 clear of the drop zone. Since then, we've taken from 35 points from 18 games (won 10, drawn 5 and lost 3) so you have to give Gary and the players credit for the fact this thread is even running.

Taking each game as it comes, all we can do is beat Notts on Saturday in what is a big game and see where we are come Saturday evening. Boreham
Wood losing on Saturday was unexpected and handy given their games in hand.

Tuesday
Dagenham (9) v Boreham Wood (8th)
King's Lynn (21) v Bromley (10)

Saturday
Aldershot (20) v Boreham Wood (8th)
Bromley (10) v Dagenham (9)
Torquay (11) v Notts (6)
Weymouth (22) v Grimsby (7)

Not expecting Grimsby the drop points, Weymouth are pants. A win against Notts will however see us gain on someone seeing as Bromley and Dagenham are playing each other. It's a funny old game, get behind them on Saturday.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Lose Saturday it's proper goodnight Irene, just had a look at Grimsby's run in =Z
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

I agree with Admiral that it's a long shot but while there is still any chance it's interesting to look at the figures and fixtures and of course the manager and players have to believe there's a chance until mathematically impossible.

Boreham Wood's defeat at home to Woking continues their poor form. Grimsby's unexpected win at Chesterfield seems to confirm that they are likely to be the hardest to catch of the four teams above us. If we are to catch Grimsby (or Notts County) I think we'd also overtake BHW, Bromley & Dagenham.

Grimsby's fixtures are easier than ours.

Weymouth (A)
Stockport (H)
Kings Lynn (A)
Torquay (H)
Barnet (A)
Maidenhead (H)
Boreham Wood (H)
Eastleigh (A)

To overtake them I think we'd need to win the match at Grimsby. In that case I can see them getting about 15 points which would take them to 77 with a much better goal difference than us. To get to 78 we'd need 8 wins and a draw.

Notts County have easy fixtures too so will be hard to catch.

I think we're back to needing to win all but one of our games (and the defeat not to be Grimsby or Notts County) and even would be relying on others to drop unexpected points.

It really is very much an outside chance but at least we've gone into April with a very slight chance of promotion, something that looked very unlikely at Christmas.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Bit strong Forever - just missing out on the playoffs = 'abject failure'
For 12 of the last 15 playing months
Gary has assembled a team in championship form , ie 2 points a game for 80% of last and this season, a poor start and first three months of this season has held us back but overall two pretty good seasons - bloody hard getting out of this league as we all know !
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

desperado wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 11:32 Bit strong Forever - just missing out on the playoffs = 'abject failure'
For 12 of the last 15 playing months
Gary has assembled a team in championship form , ie 2 points a game for 80% of last and this season, a poor start and first three months of this season has held us back but overall two pretty good seasons - bloody hard getting out of this league as we all know !
Well, well, someone talking sense, that is unusual. We will not be in the playoffs. Something that has been obvious to everyone all season.

We have had an excellent second half of the season and a brilliant first half last season. Gary just needs to marry them up and win the National League next season. Good luck GJ.

COYY.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I fully understand the talk from the club about,maybe, possibly, could be making the play offs, that's purely commercial PR , they need the fans to keep coming throught the gate, for those of us who turn up each week we knew way back that barring a miracle we would not achieve anywhere close to what we did last season, we just did not have a team of sufficent ability, infact in early autumn you would be forgiven in thinking we did not have a team .Our upturn in performances was getting Sparkes for a short while and then in January Wearne and Duke Mckenna, all had one thing in common, they were all quality and could play this league in their sleep.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 18:34 I fully understand the talk from the club about,maybe, possibly, could be making the play offs, that's purely commercial PR , they need the fans to keep coming throught the gate, for those of us who turn up each week we knew way back that barring a miracle we would not achieve anywhere close to what we did last season, we just did not have a team of sufficent ability, infact in early autumn you would be forgiven in thinking we did not have a team .Our upturn in performances was getting Sparkes for a short while and then in January Wearne and Duke Mckenna, all had one thing in common, they were all quality and could play this league in their sleep.
Sparkes ?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Considering the players we lost in the summer and that similar or better replacements couldn't be found, a top ten finish won't be a bad season.
But it needs to be a step towards a real promotion challenge next season.
Hopefully Stockport & Wrexham will go up and we can battle with the other decent clubs.
As we know, with only two promoted and so many ex league clubs, it's not an easy league to get out off.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 18:34 I fully understand the talk from the club about,maybe, possibly, could be making the play offs, that's purely commercial PR , they need the fans to keep coming throught the gate, for those of us who turn up each week we knew way back that barring a miracle we would not achieve anywhere close to what we did last season, we just did not have a team of sufficent ability, infact in early autumn you would be forgiven in thinking we did not have a team .Our upturn in performances was getting Sparkes for a short while and then in January Wearne and Duke Mckenna, all had one thing in common, they were all quality and could play this league in their sleep.
Is there anything wrong with the club talking up the possibility of sneaking into the play-offs if it's mathematically still possible? The team are in good form and have a big match of Saturday, so until we lose a game and it's done we should all be getting behind them. Win on Saturday and we could be heading into the Easter fixtures with something ever so slightly less unlikely to play for.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

A top half finish, or top 10, would be a good season considering our start. With a full summer window I trust Gary to assemble a decent squad to have a go at winning it next season. I'm glad Stockport are getting out of the league, I can't see Scunthorpe or Stevenage/Oldham setting the league alight next year and challenging for the title (look at Grimsby and Southend).
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Admiral, there is nothing wrong with the club talking up our chances, I would expect no less, but then we have the false expectation we can get promoted and that just is not going to happen, we then have the situation where we get a truncated summer break and we know how well that turned out for us last year.