Can We Make the Play Offs?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Well well well
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Massive, thank you Weymouth
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well you can't rule it out yet can you
7 points behind with a game in hand , Grimsby in particular are catchable with us playing them and the game in hand and they play Stockport on Friday.
We are certainly giving it a go.
Can we win 6 games out of 8 ?
We can on this form. Still a tough ask but win the two at Easter and it's really on.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's the hope that gets you ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

After today’s results I think I’m allowed to come back with some more thoughts.
This is the current position.

6. Notts Co. 37 64 +18
7. Grimsby 37 63 +20

8. Dagenham 37 59 +19
9. Boreham Wood 35 59 +14
10. Torquay 36 56 +11

And the remaining games for each club. We need to overtake three of them.

As we’ve seen, results are hard to predict (thank you Weymouth) so as a guide I’ve given a total based on two points against lower teams and one point against teams battling for play offs / promotion.

Grimsby
Stockport (H)
Kings Lynn (A)
Torquay (H)
Barnet (A)
Maidenhead (H)
Boreham Wood (H)
Eastleigh (A)
74 points

Notts County
Kings Lynn (H)
Weymouth (H)
Dover (A)
Aldershot (A)
Dover (H)
Altrincham (H)
Maidenhead (A)
78 points

Dagenham
Barnet (H)
Aldershot (A)
Bromley (A)
Kings Lynn (H)
Wealdstone (A)
Torquay (H)
Solihull (A)
Wrexham (H)
69 points

Boreham Wood
Dover (H)
Wealdstone (A)
Bromley (H)
Southend (A)
Stockport (A)
Wrexham (H)
Yeovil (A)
Grimsby (A)
Solihull (H)
72 points

So we would need 74 points
18 points from 8 games = 6 wins. Plus a draw to account for goal difference unless we make that up.
This fits with last week’s predictions in that we can afford to drop a couple more points following Grimsby’s unexpected draw today.

I’m assuming we can stay above Bromley.

Notts County have very easy games, including Dover twice, so I can’t see us catching them.
Grimsby have similar fixtures to us. Our game there will be massive.
Dagenham end with three hard games. Our game there will be massive too.
Boreham Wood have games in hand but are on very poor form. Maybe the FA Cup run has caught up with them.

We have a tricky game at Woking next and still have to play Dagenham & Grimsby away, plus Chesterfield at home. We’ve shown that we can beat top teams here and they may not need the points as much as we do as could already be safely in the play offs by then.

To make 7th we’re going to need to beat Woking, Eastleigh, Maidenhead & Southend and at least two of Chesterfield, Dagenham, Grimsby & Stockport. Obviously best if the wins are at Dagenham & Grimsby as we’re very likely to need to overtake both of them. Stockport may well have won the league by the time we play them which would make it much more winnable.

It’s still a long shot, but we’re on such great form that for the first time, I think it is a realistic possibility although obviously still an outside chance. Win 7 or the last 8 and I'm confident we'll be in the play offs. Six and a draw and there's a good chance we will be.

As for then winning at Solihull, Chesterfield or Halifax and then probably Wrexham, plus whoever we’d play at Wembley – consider that if the time comes.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Grimsby drawing at Weymouth was not in the script, neither was BW losing at Aldershot. With Bromley and BW’s terrible form continuing I’d say they’re out of the picture, even with games in hand. BW have picked up 3 points from 8 games since Everton.

Grimsby host Stockport on Good Friday, Woking really is massive for us. A win there and we could go into Easter Monday with a real chance. I’d say we probably need to win 7/8, but it’s one game at a time. You really never know in this league.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

As I’ve previously said it’s the hope that kills. But our game in hand is Stockport away. That being rearranged is a blessing in disguise if we are still in the frame. They will be champions by the time we play them on May 11th. Grimsby away is the match we have to win.
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lucy6lucy wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 23:32 As I’ve previously said it’s the hope that kills. But our game in hand is Stockport away. That being rearranged is a blessing in disguise if we are still in the frame. They will be champions by the time we play them on May 11th. Grimsby away is the match we have to win.
Its not happening.
See you later today when Wakefield Trinity beat the Pies at (proper) egg chasing. :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Bore off Super, let us have something to shout about
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

Admiral wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 07:36 Bore off Super, let us have something to shout about
Exactly. I think we're all realistic enough to know it's a very long shot (25/1 at bookies) but let's enjoy the ride.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I expressed an honest opinion, asking the manager and squad to prove me wrong, happy to say they proved me wrong in every aspect yesterday, as our manager and team stood head and shoulders above Notts County, so here's part one of Dave's humble apology.

More of the same please, as for the play-offs we've still got a huge mountain to climb, get to with in 4 points of the play-offs by the end of Mondays game v Eastleigh and even, I might ask to join standupsitdowns optimism club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Admiral wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 07:36 Bore off Super, let us have something to shout about
This
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 00:12
See you later today when Wakefield Trinity beat the Pies at (proper) egg chasing. :)
HAW!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Do one.
You talk some sh*t on here, so I'd thought I'd join you.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 20:32 HAW!!
:Oops:
Er, didn't go quite according to plan.....
However, on the plus side lucy6lucy enjoyed her pie, peas and gravy.
Typical pie eating Wiganers. :)

TUST Member 468