Our New Players for Season 2022/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
fred
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Aaron downs

Post by fred »

desperado wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 07:26 If confirmed I guess this is all we can afford to sign,
youngsters on loan who haven't played a league game not what we want really is it
Occasionally they come off and do well,
let's hope he's another Duke McKenna.
Duke had played for the QPR first team the same season he came to us. He played in the cup against Everton and scored in the penalty shoot out which QPR won. Most QPR fans couldn't believe he was playing in the national League looking at their forum. He was certainly not some U23 player who had no experience in men's football
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

fred wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 17:30
Duke had played for the QPR first team the same season he came to us. He played in the cup against Everton and scored in the penalty shoot out which QPR won. Most QPR fans couldn't believe he was playing in the national League looking at their forum. He was certainly not some U23 player who had no experience in men's football
The 21-year-old Scott Smith has made nine first-team appearances for the Championship club, albeit they came in the cup competitions.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Quality? Only played THREE levels below Torquay
How would he handle being thrust into a poor side against big hard ex pros.

Could be a good prospect but we need good players NOW.

Sean can you clean my windows?
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

DevonBee wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 10:47 Gary's recruitments and they are letting him down, they are simply not up to the physical challenge of this league sadly.
my feelings from seeing all pre-season and all Home games so far is on the new bunch.

Wyatt....impressed in his cameo to earn a contract.....however is slow, probably a left back...not a wing back as he rarely gets forward.

Donnellan.....not sure if he is a midfielder or centr back.....time will tell.

Jarvis.......injured.....but look at his goal ratio ? embarrassing......maybe will hold the ball up is the best we can hope for when he is fit !

Andrews....as said is this the guy whose highlights on youtube looked a good finisher....he has been utterly woeful, spends more time on the deck, he has been outmuscled, outfought and outthought in every game. the one on one yesterday shows that he has no confidence whatsoever.
I hope he comes good for Gary's sake.

Marshall....Took his goal well yesterday....however a booking / sending off waiting to happen every game...slow, and his positioning at times questionable forcing shirt tugging which was evident even in pre-season.

McGavin....best of the bunch, high hopes from what I have seen.

Hanson....not sure what his position is tbh

Goodwin....20 year old who never stops running, shows some fight and is at least on his feet (unlike Andrews) does not complain at the physicallity
and just gets on with it....will prove to be an assett if he can keep his head in a struggling side.

Evans.....young boy again in the wrong place at the wrong time....should imagine he is hoping Cardiff come and rescue him from his nightmare.

Lovett....a good number 2 to Halstead, but still learning his trade.

Tomlinson....needs a loan...would be fatal to put him in should Omar get injured.

Crowe...was really impressed pre-season with him, the way he bombed forward and had high hopes.....however that part of the game has vanished
and his defending is a concern. This is what you get I guess in a team with no confidence.

I appreciate these are youngsters learning their trade in a tough League, but already 6 games in....I do not have to wait for 10, and have watched plenty of football over the years to realise many of these guys are not up for it.

The injuries are horrendous, and you have to question why ?

Be interesting to hear other views......I am seriously concerned, without doubt we are missing the tenacity of Laps and a fit Hall (not sure if that will ever happen again )

I live in Hope....COYY
So 10 games in guys, and bottom of the league !!....this was my assessment of the current bunch a number of games ago. Nothing has changed my views on any of them.
How are us loyal supporters feeling after game 10 ?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

If you still think McGavin is the best of a bad bunch then we really are in the deep brown stuff. He looked slow, uninterested and devoid of a footballing brain in the games I saw. But then he probably wonders what the hell he has let himself in for among what is increasingly looking like a relegation team.

The next four games will indicate whether or not we are truly relegation material.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Overall I would agree our recruitment hasn’t been good but that clearly isn’t the only problem. The system they are being asked to play in just doesn’t suit them. For example Mcgavin has a good touch and decent pass and would fit into a team basing their play on possession, however we insist on pumping the ball long at the first opportunity. We also play with no width which makes it very difficult when our CM have the ball.

The other issue I have is that a lot of these kids have basically played academy football. In academy’s these days they don’t play long ball. Academies teach possession and playing with pace. They clearly aren’t buying into how GJ wants them to play. Unfortunately we have 2 options which are change the manager or change the players. Given we can’t change the whole squad I would opt for a change of manager.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Modgull wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 18:56 If you still think McGavin is the best of a bad bunch then we really are in the deep brown stuff. He looked slow, uninterested and devoid of a footballing brain in the games I saw. But then he probably wonders what the hell he has let himself in for among what is increasingly looking like a relegation team.

The next four games will indicate whether or not we are truly relegation material.
In hindsight Modgull I should have changed my McGavin view before reposting..Lol
So I guess 11 of my views out of the 12 are still the same although in recent weeks Evans is gaining more confidence.

McGavin has lost all confidence from pre-season .

Despite all my belief is that changes will be made on the playing staff as GJ deserves better performances......and no way come May will we be in a relegation fight. The season begins on Saturday .......Onwards and Upwards...Things can only get better COYY
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

Really think we need some wide options to give us a 4-3-3 type lineup. There are some decent players in this squad, we need to get everyone fit, add a couple, and get Plainmoor bouncing.

The difference from 24th to 10th is just 6 points - lots of football to be played. Not a time to panic but a time for GJ to get reinforcements in and the players to step up.

Can someone give Sinclair Armstrong a call!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Two massive games coming, so although I think GJ’s time is up I don’t think this is the best timing to get rid of him. Two must-wins at home, if we fail to win both then I expect he’ll be shown the door as we’ll then well and truly be in a relegation fight already. The league’s so tight, which is why it’s even more frustrating we’re not picking up points.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Midlandgull wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 20:06 Really think we need some wide options to give us a 4-3-3 type lineup. There are some decent players in this squad, we need to get everyone fit, add a couple, and get Plainmoor bouncing.

The difference from 24th to 10th is just 6 points - lots of football to be played. Not a time to panic but a time for GJ to get reinforcements in and the players to step up.

Can someone give Sinclair Armstrong a call!
I’ve been banging the winger drum for a while now, hopefully Gary can address that before Saturday as we seemed to create more from the wide areas today.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

If the players that we've sent out on loan cant get in this team then whats the point in retaining them. We might as well give them a run out. They should at least know how to play the Torquay way.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Bring Alex Moyse back, play a 4-3-3 with a tight midfield and get hold of that midfield. Use your wider players up top to gain width, and off we go. Oh, and win 2-0. I almost forgot that bit...