Players Under Contract

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by CourtierGull »

Personally feel that we’ll see a few of these players prove a lot of us wrong next season. Mcgavin had a great pre season and was tipped by many to be POTS but we all know how that ended up but at his age and in a league below he has the ability to be one of the better players in the division. Crowe Donnellan and Hanson are another 3 that are young and can only improve… surely?

Will Jarvis stay? If not a team will have to pay for him. Halstead has moved his family down here and he may well be the best keeper in the south next year. Moyse has to be given a go as well. This summer is massive, we messed up big time by signing no wingers, if we could keep stobbs along with a fair few of what we already have I’d be quite confident we go back up first time, with or without GJ.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We should revert back to what got us out of NLS last time round - pace-high press-90min fitness. Just on pace alone not many of our current crop fit into that category.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Oh god here we go - another idiot in Courtier Gull. We will have little hold over Jarvis. He maybe under contract but it will be impossible to keep him if he wants to go.

Halstead will be the best keeper in the league - Are you having a laugh?

Stobbs - we've got no chance of keeping him. Mcgavin? - **** me he cant run

Hanson - he cant run or play football.

As for Johnson - read the latest article on Torquay Talk, look at the stats - relegation could easily have been avoided if the manager had done his job properly.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

DevonBee wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 10:04 Hanson, Marshall, McGavin, Wyatt, Crowe, Omar, should be nowhere near this club, they are stealing a living and not even good enough for NLS. A complete clear out is required including the Management. We want Winners not a soft underbellies bunch of losers.
Hanson was Dover Athletic captain. Ok, they got relegated, but to be captain at such a young age suggests he has something about him, no? We paid a fee for him too, as I recall. He'd do a job in NLS
Wyatt was a regular starter in the Sutton side that won the NL 2 seasons ago. to say he's not good enough for NLS is laughable.
Crowe is an enigma - said before I think he'd be better as a winger (defensively not great). Full backs in the age restricted games tend to be use more for attacking purposes, so him being an England youth player doesn't mean that he can defend. I'd be ok with him as a right wing back in NLS

I don't think Marshall will play for us again. When signed he appeared to be exactly the kind of big ugly centre-half we needed, but he's proven himself to be a liability. he gets in the way of things but he's always going to get turned for pace and probably concede a penalty.

McGavin is a weird one. I don't know if I trust the 3 year contract rumours, but if that's true then the manager - whoever it is - has to try to rehabilitate him. there's some talent there, yes, but he would need a midfield partner who is lot more mobile, as he has the turning circle of the Exxon Valdez.

Saying "we want winners" is fine but how would we attract players with the kind of pedigree that you're expecting? Arguably the team that won NLS last time we were there didn't have any winners either but they did ok, did they not?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree with Mellow, pace , high press and fitness required - McGavin and Hanson dont fit those requirements.
Kings Lynn certainly haven't missed McGavin, after being relegated with him, currently top of National North with a game to go.
Hopefully back to a settled and aggressive team with hard working wide men in a 4-4-2
Using 39 players must be some sort of record, a nailed on recipe for a disastrous season.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Before we all put the world to rights on next seasons squad its down to who the manager happens to be and who he fancies can do a job, and probably more to the point who wants to stay, most of the decent players come finishing time saturday will be up the A380 like a greyhound on steroids never to be seen again and who could blame them. I have to say one of the few pleasant surprise this season has been Moxey, 36 years plus and still giving it a go plus he played 41 games this term something I thought at the start he would never achieve, his legs may no longer have the same stamina as his heart but his reading of the game makes up for those shortcomings, more so if we had a young fit box to box wing back who could cover him. We could do worse than keep him for another season, offer him a player coach for one more season.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

Move training to Bristol / Swindon to increase our catchment area. We need to think outside the box.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Why don't people rate Donnellan? Simply because he makes bad decisions. How many times have we seen him decide to go on a run, lose the ball and then we concede as the opposition expose the hole behind him?

We have been winning games at home and he goes on a run, and I just think "here we go again" and yep, it all goes wrong.

That's why. Cut out that and he might be ol, but I'd play Hanson instead. Even at full back and utilise his throw.
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Halstead still has the family home in North Wales, but also has a place in Torquay too. His family still live in the North, but I do know he is happy here. I'm sure we'll find out soon who has been offered a new deal, but we don't even know who the manager will be yet, and who he even wants to keep.
CourtierGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by CourtierGull »

brucie wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 14:37 Oh god here we go - another idiot in Courtier Gull. We will have little hold over Jarvis. He maybe under contract but it will be impossible to keep him if he wants to go.

As for Johnson - read the latest article on Torquay Talk, look at the stats - relegation could easily have been avoided if the manager had done his job properly.
Pointless argument and an unnecessary ‘idiot’ considering some of the absolute drivel you’ve spouted over the years, jarvis wants to leave or not, a team will have to pay for him, simply what I said. Halsteads proven time and time again he’s good enough for this league, and played a lot higher so why wouldn’t he be? Stobbs would be hopeful but Oldham don’t want him and his contracts up.

As for hanson and mcgavin, we’ve seen young players be crucified like this and turn into gems, Cameron and Reid for example. Hanson I don’t have as much hope for but Brett clearly has ability and if you deny that then you haven’t seen him on the ball.

I’d also rather we start without Johnson, but not going to kick off if he stays.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 12:48 What have posters got against him?
When he's been played in one constant position, he's been one of our better performers.......
Got against them….. well all mentioned resemble a car crash waiting to happen ! As for you proudly sponsoring McGavin 🤣
I think you said before the club selected him for you 🤣
Doubt he would be involved in the car crash , he would probably cause it for being too bloody slow.
It’s time for change ….. with money hopefully saved on Johnson wages and a cheaper option no doubt on the cards…pay off Hanson ( 2x relegations from NL on his cv ) and get him out of here.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I do think McGavin and Hanson will come good. But of course they need to improve.

They are only kids though.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

toastkid wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 17:46 Why don't people rate Donnellan? Simply because he makes bad decisions. How many times have we seen him decide to go on a run, lose the ball and then we concede as the opposition expose the hole behind him?

We have been winning games at home and he goes on a run, and I just think "here we go again" and yep, it all goes wrong.

That's why. Cut out that and he might be ol, but I'd play Hanson instead. Even at full back and utilise his throw.
To add to this, when I've seen him (which hasn't been much), he also jogs back after losing it, doesn't seem to have the grit in him for a fight, which is what NLS is going to be all about.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

If some of the players havent come good this season then its a case of;
GJ's limits as a coach to bring players on
OR
The limits of the players capabilities to perform at NL level

If its the former then a new manager has to be the call and will they fancy these players on whats happened this season. I'd prob say not and they'd rather rebuild in their own vision
If its the latter then whats the purpose in keeping them beyond any current contract just to perform in NLS if we aspire to be back into NL the following season.

Either way IMO there's little point hanging onto the players that havent performed this season and we've gambled on loan players at times in preference to them.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

brucie wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 14:37 Oh god here we go - another idiot in Courtier Gull. We will have little hold over Jarvis. He maybe under contract but it will be impossible to keep him if he wants to go.

Spot on Bruce …. All pro Johnson read the Torquay Talk article…then come back here with a reason why Johnson should stay