Uncle Clarke part 812

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

desperado wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 13:38 Those are incredible statistics.
So unlike Johnson who in the past often had 3 or 4 strikers on the bench.
Even at the start of the season we only had Goodwin, Jarvis who was out for the first 10 games, and the useless Andrews.
I even found some games at the start of the season when we had no striker on the bench.
You've got to ask yourself if we were so deficient in strikers why wasn't Koszela at least given the chance to show what he could do early in the season? What had we got to lose?
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

I think the decision whether GJ is still managed rests with himself. From Osborne/Edwards point of view they have a manager who is supported by perhaps half of the fan base and like someone mentioned above it costs to get a new management team in. So basically I think it is up to Johnson whether he stays or takes the bus pass.I
Personally I'd prefer him to go.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

desperado wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 13:38 Even at the start of the season we only had Goodwin, Jarvis who was out for the first 10 games, and the useless Andrews.
I even found some games at the start of the season when we had no striker on the bench.
While Andrews did, in fact, turn out to be useless, the hill I am quite happy to die on is that at first glance, the Jarvis-Andrews partnership up front was full of promise. Andrews had scored 8 in 12 (? i think) at Aldershot in the back end of last season, and with Jarvis able to be a decent hold up man, it really looked like they'd be a threat in this division. Indeed, for the first 20 minutes against Oldham in the opener (admittedly Jarvis was absent) I was actually pretty impressed with Andrews. Obviously he then got injured and then never looked like a professional footballer again, but I maintain that a lot of us at the time of his signing were pretty happy with it. It's easy to say otherwise now, of course, but I was happy with most of the other signings too. At our level we can't afford for more than 1 or 2 of the summer signings to 'fail', and sadly most of them turned out to be poor.

Of course, not having a striker on the bench - or many attacking options in general, really - is pretty poor, but when you've set up a squad with 3 strikers and 2 of them are injured for the first quarter of the season or so, that's never good. I'd have preferred us to bring in some backup once Jarvis and then Andrews got crocked, but we had also had to bring in Ben Wyatt late, to replace Dan Martin. Maybe it was a budgetary thing
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

If/buts and maybes. I agree, the Andrews/jarvis partnership looked very promising on paper. Jarvis the big hold up man for Andrews to play off, with Dovers young captain in the middle surrounded by more experienced players, it should of worked.

For the first 5 minutes of the season Andrews was on fire, he hit the bar from what I remember. Then unfortunately he only hit the snack bar.
HockeyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by HockeyGull »

Taelee73 wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 17:30 If/buts and maybes. I agree, the Andrews/jarvis partnership looked very promising on paper. Jarvis the big hold up man for Andrews to play off, with Dovers young captain in the middle surrounded by more experienced players, it should of worked.

For the first 5 minutes of the season Andrews was on fire, he hit the bar from what I remember. Then unfortunately he only hit the snack bar.
:lol: at least someone benefitted from him being here.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 23:21 Not quite correct I'm afraid.....
Osborne called in his debt for money owed and the club was his.
There were other interested parties before that happened, but for whatever reason, they wern't given the time of day.
I cant be ars*d to go through all the details again...
Troll back in the threads if you're bothered.
So GI took over and Osborne "created" Riviera Stadium Ltd to "run" the club...
I believe that it is you that is wrong SNW. I believe it was around November 2016 that Clarke Osborne took ownership of Torquay United football club. Having shown an interest in purchasing the club in the spring of 2016, Gaming International and The club entered into 6 months of due diligence, meaning no other interested parties could bid for the club. During this period, GI loaned Torquay £120,000 which needed to be paid back. At the end of the 6 months, David Phillips the chairman of the club announced that the board did not believe that GI were right for Torquay and the club were looking at other possible new owners. I believe that 4 persons/organisations showed interest in purchasing the club but did not have the funds available.

It was at a board meeting in November 2016 that as the money had run out, the club would be put into administration the following week. It was only the intervention of the former owner of Truro City, Peter Masters who had become friends with Clarke Osborne during the due diligence period, who persuaded Osborne to purchase the club for £120,000 ( the loan write off).

Thea Bristow wrote off over 4 million quid and Osborne's losses exceed 6 million. This situation cannot continue or the club will go bust. We have to be realistic and support Uncle Clarke in his vision for the future, the club's future depends on it.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Thank you Dawlish, yes I should of been more specific SNW. There were no interested parties who could realistically afford to run the club. It was only Clarke that could and would still be the same now. For better or worse we still have a club because of him, doesn't mean it'll end well, but it's where we are.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 19:36 I believe that it is you that is wrong SNW. I believe it was around November 2016 that Clarke Osborne took ownership of Torquay United football club. Having shown an interest in purchasing the club in the spring of 2016, Gaming International and The club entered into 6 months of due diligence, meaning no other interested parties could bid for the club. During this period, GI loaned Torquay £120,000 which needed to be paid back. At the end of the 6 months, David Phillips the chairman of the club announced that the board did not believe that GI were right for Torquay and the club were looking at other possible new owners. I believe that 4 persons/organisations showed interest in purchasing the club but did not have the funds available.

It was at a board meeting in November 2016 that as the money had run out, the club would be put into administration the following week. It was only the intervention of the former owner of Truro City, Peter Masters who had become friends with Clarke Osborne during the due diligence period, who persuaded Osborne to purchase the club for £120,000 ( the loan write off).

Thea Bristow wrote off over 4 million quid and Osborne's losses exceed 6 million. This situation cannot continue or the club will go bust. We have to be realistic and support Uncle Clarke in his vision for the future, the club's future depends on it.
:goodpost: Exactly as it happened.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Question. If we had gone bust in 2016 instead, would our fan-owned, part-time phoenix club be in exactly the same league as us next season?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The striker who scored two of the goals for Dorking came on as a substitute.

How an earth can you say that the stat did not contribute to our relegation. The striker who scored the two goals for Dorking didnt cost them anything - he was never a regular starter at anytime during the season. Surely its got nothing to do with the budget - you dont fill your squad with umpteen full backs and centre halves.

If our substitutes only contributed 3 goals all season, then obviously that statistic was affected by not having a forward on the bench since January. Whether you blame Johnson or not probably doesnt make any difference but I dont see how anyone can argue with what is staring them in the face.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 19:36 I believe that it is you that is wrong SNW. I believe it was around November 2016 that Clarke Osborne took ownership of Torquay United football club. Having shown an interest in purchasing the club in the spring of 2016, Gaming International and The club entered into 6 months of due diligence, meaning no other interested parties could bid for the club. During this period, GI loaned Torquay £120,000 which needed to be paid back. At the end of the 6 months, David Phillips the chairman of the club announced that the board did not believe that GI were right for Torquay and the club were looking at other possible new owners. I believe that 4 persons/organisations showed interest in purchasing the club but did not have the funds available.

That's what I said. :whistle:
I also said I couldn't be ar*ed going into it again.
And what exactly is his "vision?"
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

brucie wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 22:32 The striker who scored two of the goals for Dorking came on as a substitute.

How an earth can you say that the stat did not contribute to our relegation. The striker who scored the two goals for Dorking didnt cost them anything - he was never a regular starter at anytime during the season. Surely its got nothing to do with the budget - you dont fill your squad with umpteen full backs and centre halves.

If our substitutes only contributed 3 goals all season, then obviously that statistic was affected by not having a forward on the bench since January. Whether you blame Johnson or not probably doesnt make any difference but I dont see how anyone can argue with what is staring them in the face.
Yes Brucie....the night at Dorking away, a 6 pointer and another serious failure. Blame the sending off I was one of the 400+at this game.
The reality was Moxey on the left with his shot legs playing on a plastic pitch....good decision Gj... and Calamity Marshall who not once but twice was nowhere near his marker who scored 2 :@ . Oh for them 3 points now :@
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

One of the many reasons why Marshall shouldn't play for Gulls again, he needs to be released asap..I know it's clichéd, but we are down due to the season as a whole, we should of mixed it up after 15 games, and definitely at Christmas It was left to late, and GJ post Altrincham saying he had to wait until he did to make changes to our starting XI dosent really make any sense. The Dorking away result had a real feel that at that point we were heading down, It became apparent we'd be relegated... What I would say is nobody saw Dorking and Gateshead pulling away like they did, we just left our run to late.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Mr Tea808 wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 12:00 One of the many reasons why Marshall shouldn't play for Gulls again, he needs to be released asap..I know it's clichéd, but we are down due to the season as a whole, we should of mixed it up after 15 games, and definitely at Christmas It was left to late, and GJ post Altrincham saying he had to wait until he did to make changes to our starting XI dosent really make any sense. The Dorking away result had a real feel that at that point we were heading down, It became apparent we'd be relegated... What I would say is nobody saw Dorking and Gateshead pulling away like they did, we just left our run to late.
Absolutely 100%. Many to blame for our current position we are in. There are many, many culprits who I hope will no longer be seen in the yellow shirt.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

"... it's got nothing to do with budgets..."

Tell Wrexham that....