Tonbridge Angels v Torquay United, March 16 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

2-2
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Tonbridge 0 TUFC 1
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

1-1.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

OceanYellow7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by OceanYellow7 »

1-1 sadly 2 x poor sides hope Downes gets ruthless and benches the main liabilities who cost us dearly v Taunton. A must if we are going to have any chance of survival.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

think I gave up on winning the prediction league months ago, so Tonbridge 2-5 Torquay
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

We probably need 9 points for survival with 9 games to play so a draw would not be a bad result especially given our away form.
Last season if we had adopted game management late on in several games where we were drawing instead of going for a late win and getting hit on the counter we would have avoided relegation.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

I just watched Aaron Downes Press Call from yesterday. I like Aaron and I know he has to keep the players onside but at times he seems deluded in what he says.

Aaron the Results in the League over the last 15 games prove we are a poor team and 2 wins in 15 games means one thing. We cannot defend.29 goals conceded in 15 games and in 5 games we conceded 3 or 4 goals. This is a poor team Aaron but I realise you have to try and make the players think they are good enough.

Surely you have to build from the back and select either 4 or 5 players at the back, your best 4 midfielders and 1 or 2 strikers. The first rule is do not concede.

Goalscoring is poor just 18 in 15 games and only 14 if you take out the Dartford game. 1 goal a game!!

As another poster said last season we would have avoided relegation if all those late losses in February had been draws.

Safety first now is the name of the game. Make us hard to beat In our hour of need 9 0-0 draws I would take. Not going to happen but do not concede should be the plan.

After Tuesday night the best I can do is predict 1-1. Two clean sheets in 15 games is not encouraging.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

What's required now is nothing but a siege mentality. Whilst I hope for a complete new beginning I do have a degree of sympathy for Downes, what's gone on before he became interim manager may not be totally all his fault, we don't know how hamstrung Downes was under GJ, how many, if any of Downes ideas ever got implemented.

Its known already a number of players have said they are experiencing more freedom to play under Downes, and to be fair I think it's right that Downes backs those players to the hilt in public, we have little time left for 'he said' 'she said' we need 9 points, as said, blood letting and inquests can come later.

I don't know what happened Tuesday night, was not so much the defeat but the manner of it, both us and Tonbridge aren't in great overall form, but this is an artificial pitch so passing through the phases is the right way to approach this, so playing both DOA and Jarvis together whilst I was calling for that Tuesday night, will work here. This game can end up with any result it'll be tight.

Tonbridge 2 v 2 TUFC
Formerly known as forevertufc
Hereford Gull66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Hereford Gull66 »

I am trying a different tact this week.

Tonbridge 3 Torquay 1

Come on you yellows prove me wrong again……
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

0-1 . WJD to score in the 83rd minute. Or not as the case may be.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

0-2 win
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Has to be Booth and Marshall at the back. We need physicality and these two, if nothing else, won't take any bullying, and will win the headers that cost us Tuesday.

Hopefully 60 minutes at least from Dawson and Lapslie.

0-1 TUFC. We have to get a clean sheet sometime.
Last edited by Taelee73 on 15 Mar 2024, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
RodneyJacksRightFoot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RodneyJacksRightFoot »

Can see this being a bore draw but ever the optimist:

Tonbridge 0
Torquay 1
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

portugull wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 14:30 I just watched Aaron Downes Press Call from yesterday. I like Aaron and I know he has to keep the players onside but at times he seems deluded in what he says.

Aaron the Results in the League over the last 15 games prove we are a poor team and 2 wins in 15 games means one thing. We cannot defend.29 goals conceded in 15 games and in 5 games we conceded 3 or 4 goals. This is a poor team Aaron but I realise you have to try and make the players think they are good enough.

Surely you have to build from the back and select either 4 or 5 players at the back, your best 4 midfielders and 1 or 2 strikers. The first rule is do not concede.

Goalscoring is poor just 18 in 15 games and only 14 if you take out the Dartford game. 1 goal a game!!

As another poster said last season we would have avoided relegation if all those late losses in February had been draws.

Safety first now is the name of the game. Make us hard to beat In our hour of need 9 0-0 draws I would take. Not going to happen but do not concede should be the plan.

After Tuesday night the best I can do is predict 1-1. Two clean sheets in 15 games is not encouraging.
Keeping a clean sheet should be the first consideration in EVERY game.....then we will not be beaten.....and if by some miracle, we can score just once, we will register three points.

I said this to GJ and his reaction was 0-0 was a poor result, he was missing the point that we would not be beaten. :goodpost:
Hot Rod
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hot Rod »

Tonbridge 5 Torquay 2