United Youth Programme Continues To Thrive

TUFC news in one place so you don’t miss a thing.
TorquayFans.com

United Youth Programme Continues To Thrive

Post by TorquayFans.com »

Kevin Wills’ Under-18s may be fully focused on bringing home yet another trophy in order to seal a third-successive league and cup ‘double’, however there is plenty of other evidence that suggests a bright future for the next generation for Gulls stars at Torquay United. Wills is understandably eager for his side to show their potential at Plainmoor on Saturday first and foremost, where many of the Yellow Army will be watching Torquay’s all-conquering Under-18s for the first time. Image “First of all, I think it’s going to be a fantastic experience for the players to Plainmoor, and something for them to look forward to. “I think the more fans that are here, the better for the boys, but I think it will be a great experience for both teams.” Of course, one player that United fans will already be aware of is winger Jacob Wellington, who capped his excellent home bow with a lively assist for Arkell Jude-Boyd to round off the scoring in The Gulls’ 5-0 win over Havant & Waterlooville last Saturday. “It’s testament to Jacob himself really, he’s obviously got lots of potential, and it’s nice to see him contribute as well when he came on. “I was on the way travelling back from Swindon, but from all the reports, and from the highlights I’ve seen, it looks like he’s acquitted himself as I thought he would.” Image Another player who has progressed through the ranks at United is Calum Thomas. Just twelve months on from captaining the Under-18s to their last double, Thomas is able to look back with pride on his first year as a professional, with his substitute appearance v Havant being his seventh in the famous yellow shirt, in addition to a temporary loan spell at Southern League side, Tiverton Town. “I think it’s gone well, obviously making my debut was a proud moment, being from Torquay and this being my local Club. “I also really enjoyed getting full-time men’s football on loan at Tiverton and playing 90 minutes. “It’s gone better than I expected.” Image Thomas, therefore is ideally placed to pass on his thoughts to this year’s roster of players. “I think they’ll be buzzing and confident. Obviously, there will be a bit of pressure because they would be bringing it home for the third time, but I think the lads are ready. “A few of them played in it last year, so they’ll know what is needed, and they’ve obviously played Bridgwater before, so it’ll be a good experience for them – it’s at Plainmoor as well – so I think it’ll be good for them. “When I played it was at Bridgwater, so it’s a lot better playing at home, so hopefully a large crowd turns out. It’ll add a bit of pressure, but I think they will really enjoy it. “It’ll be a good experience for them in case anything happens next year for them.”The post United Youth Programme Continues To Thrive first appeared on Torquay United.

Source: https://torquayunited.com/united-youth- ... to-thrive/