Player contracts and moves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

popside_yidlad wrote:That can only happen if he is left in reserves which is not how they look after youngsters. He would be loaned out and maybe even back to us.
Which is no different to signing for someone at that level except that his parent club is reading.

Their new owners have said they want to build properly by developing academy and operating on a budget not just spending constantly like leicester. A settled environment is a successful environment
I fully understand where your coming from and believe everything you have said, the thing is Eunan is 22 in July, I believe, he already has 120 first teams senior games under his belt with us and Coleraine, don't you see that in terms of football youth development Eunan O'Kane has just gone past the point of no return.

Reading promotion has made a move their a far less attractive opition for both Reading and Eunan, taking on board the fact that Eunan will be 22 and has around 120 first team games under his belt already, their is longer anything to gained from Reading's point of view or Eunan's him signing their and being loaned back to us, or any league 1 club, and at this stage I am not sure a Championship club would see him as a starter either,and it certainly would not be a settled environment for Eunan, and this is my point.

I don't know Eunan never spoke to him, don't know what his plan's are, so he may well sign for reading, however if he does I will be the first to label him a complete fool, as said above he would be throwing his footballing career straight down the pan.

Eunan is still a young player and who could blame him for wanting to move up the footballing ladder I can't, however at his age and stage of his career a move to a progressive league 1 club, would be the right move now, he would continue to be a first team starter, would continue to grow as a player and with the team, now that would be a settled environment, rather than going to a premier league club and be loaned out all over the place in the hope of developing into something he will never be.A premier league player.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

popside_yidlad wrote:Leadbitter on loan.
Others offered to clubs on free or nominal fees
Leadbitter signed a 2 yr deal....as for the others, you're kidding yourself if you think any of them would command a fee these days - as they're likely to be on "League wages" the chances of a BSP or lower club taking over their contract are remote - even if they did want to drop down.

Can't see too many comings and goings this summer unless the likes of Ellis and Lathrope get a much better offer - hope we can replace Atieno with someone better mind.
....aka jmgull.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Unfortunately I would be quite happy to see the back of Yeoman and Palmer (for whom if it ain't happening now, its not going too) and Macklin too, as he seems to has burnt his bridges. I'd also not lose too much sleep if we paid up Halpin (think he has another year left?). Again, if its not happened yet it might never. He's not really looked league quality in the times I've seen him.

I think we should offer LRT something - if it wasn't for the resurrection of Nico he'd probably have cemented his place in the side right now. LRT can do a job in midfield when we are backs to the wall, maybe he could be shaped into a holding midfielder as he has some of the key attributes (strong, hard-working, likes a tackle - but would need to add to his passing game).

Atieno I'm not sure. I know he has his detractors, but I think he adds a different dimension sometimes. That said, he's not consistent enough and can be a bit lightweight and ineffective. If we can get better then we should, but are we going to find a respected striker who would come to a side who favour the 4-5-1 spearheaded by Rene?

Of the loanees/short term, not sure that Jarvis has done enough to warrant a deal for me (although not helped by not playing in his favoured role). MacDonald I really liked in his one game at Crawley. If Ellis is to go, we could do a lot worse than to get Angus back on a season long deal. Craig seems to be sounding impressive in reserve games, maybe worth another year?

In terms of Ellis and Lathrope, obviously I hope they sign. Putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, if Luton were to be promoted what do you think the likliehood of "Uncle Paul" coming in for Lathrope, and offering him a deal somewhere closer to his neck of the woods (Damon is from Stevenage IIRC)?

Players to come in - I'd like to see two dedicated wide forwards. Although Stevens and Morris are doing an o.k job, we could do with players more comfortable in those positions. A left footer and right footer in the Bodin mould would be nice. Also, particularly if Lathrope doesn't stay someone like Craig Easton would fit the bill perfectly.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

good points jeff. in terms of atieno and getting another striker in, i have to confess i've only seen bit roles by tai, apart from a reasonably decent outing at the Mem back in august, when he played in a 4-4-2 with howe. ultimately, i don't think he's good enough, and if he was, you might find ML would've toyed with the 4-4-2 again. as it is, i wouldn't take anyone out of our midfield to put tai in the team. another striker was something Ling spoke about on numerous occasions, and no matter where we are next year, i'd like to see someone coming in up front. i think howe would be an excellent partner from someone quick who could get in and around the box and comfortably hit double figures.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Regiment wrote:good points jeff. in terms of atieno and getting another striker in, i have to confess i've only seen bit roles by tai, apart from a reasonably decent outing at the Mem back in august, when he played in a 4-4-2 with howe. ultimately, i don't think he's good enough, and if he was, you might find ML would've toyed with the 4-4-2 again. as it is, i wouldn't take anyone out of our midfield to put tai in the team. another striker was something Ling spoke about on numerous occasions, and no matter where we are next year, i'd like to see someone coming in up front. i think howe would be an excellent partner from someone quick who could get in and around the box and comfortably hit double figures.
I'd agree with all your points regiment. Our system right now if perfect for our current players (possibly bar Morris, who would probably prefer to play a bit deeper). Another striker would definitely be preferred, at least so we could switch to 4-4-2 if the situation called for it. Obviously this is an irrelevant point, but does anyone think Benyon would have been perfect to partner Rene? He was pretty nippy, had terrific movement and got into the box. I think that would have been a mouthwatering prospect. Someone in that kind of mould would be nice but i think they're in short supply at this level and would probably involve us taking a risk on some academy reject from a Prem club.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I really hope that we can keep our "better" players. Mark, Damon, Eunan, Bobby etc. The problem is , and I know it's a balancing act at this level, but we have good players they leave and get replaced by other players who may or may not be as good, and we end up back where we started because we have to rebuild a team. :'( I do appreciate that it's the players themselves, who want to move onwards and upwards, and I dont blame them for that, but it would be nice to be able to offer them a decent salary (??) with good contracts :rules: to perhaps encourage them to stay. What I am trying to say is that the team members, who have done so well for us this season, should stay with us, especially if we do get promoted. What is the point of them going to other L1 clubs when they could be a L1 player with Torquay United. All things being equal, Robbo (For example) could be playing against us, in L1, next season. Why not stay with TUFC in the first place and still end up playing at the same level? :scarf:

As I say, I know it's difficult, but it would be nice to be able to build a good squad of players who could take us into L1 and possibly even higher. You can't acheive that if you have a constantly changing group of players. :-/

Having said that I really dont think I would want to see TUFC in the premiership. Somehow it would lose it's magic. :scarf:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

Tojan 67
I'm sure Alpine Joe will chirp in and correct "Tojan's" inaccuracies, should there be any
After seeing the speed with which the toys flew out of the pram last time, I think it's far better to let you type whatever rubbish you like & get on with it ,

& it's obvious you're still having a hissy fit about it. =D
Then there's the "very strange timing indeed". How clear does "Now is NOT the time for "the unforgiving side" (Popside) to get on Stevens case" have to be before you understand it ? I'll spell it out so you understand it . . . "Now is NOT the time for "the unforgiving side" (Popside) to get on Stevens case."
The words were easy to understand , the timing was not. Rather like the RAF conducting a bombing raid on Paris & immediately afterwards releasing a statement saying 'Now is NOT the time to be starting a war with France'.

Repeat 'NOT' until you're blue in the face Trojan, still seems very odd timing to me.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I don't really want to get too involved in this argument but I just want to focus on the last point.

You think it's odd timing, with the final 2 games of the season left, to not get on the back of one of our players? I'd say it was the perfect time to be getting behind our team and not slating individual players. Surely that's a given?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

100% Cambgull. We have to support the players that Lingy puts his trust in. The mood of the fans transfers down to the players and any negative feedback, towards any player, could be detrimental to the teams succes. :@

COYY :clap: a big push in the last two games and see what happens. IF creepy beat us into 3rd spot, so be it, but lets make sure that we ALL do ALL that we can to try and make an auto place happen for OUR club. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

cambgull
You think it's odd timing, with the final 2 games of the season left, to not get on the back of one of our players?
Just in case that one's for me cambgull then the answer would be: 'no, I think the exact opposite'.

It would be nice to think that all our players will be fully supported on Saturday, irrespective of the length of their contracts & irrespective of whether they are a personal favourite of ours.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

cambgull wrote:I don't really want to get too involved in this argument but I just want to focus on the last point.

You think it's odd timing, with the final 2 games of the season left, to not get on the back of one of our players? I'd say it was the perfect time to be getting behind our team and not slating individual players. Surely that's a given?!
Alpine Joe wrote:
Just in case that one's for me cambgull then the answer would be: 'no, I think the exact opposite'.

It would be nice to think that all our players will be fully supported on Saturday, irrespective of the length of their contracts & irrespective of whether they are a personal favourite of ours.
am i missing something ?? seems like a disagreement brewing, but are you not in agreement here ?? :|

anyway, i agree with you both - i think. :~D
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

cambgull wrote:I don't really want to get too involved in this argument but I just want to focus on the last point.

:nod: :-D

One poster in particular has failed to comprehend what you've comprehended cambgull. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think he understands what we mean, he just has a different view on it. Albeit, a moronic one.

The argument between slating a player and supporting one through a poor spell is a tough one, its really down to how the person reacts to criticism. Someone like Manse would probably try to prove doubters wrong as he's a fighter, I doubt Danny works that way. We need to support him, not chastise him.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I love the way us fans try to understand human behaviour, like you say cambgull Manse will have a different reaction to Danny given his mental approach to adversity whereas Danny will try to hide. If ANY player doesn't stand up and be counted on a regular basis then IMO they should be booed so that they know fans are not happy with the effort and endeavour regardless of how they are going to react. For example, if Stevens or any other Torquay player puts in 8 or 10 games where they look for the easy option and don't put it all in then i feel booing them would not be unreasonable. I don't generally boo players, even Stevens who is possibly my least favourite player but i reserve the right to if it is reasonable to do so as in the scenario i have just described. Some fans won't boo players full stop and i've not a problem with that but at the end of the day they are paid by us generally to do a job up to the standard they are at and if they take the piss over a period of time then we should let them know our displeasure.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.