Cheltenham Town v Torquay United - 2/2/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Bonkers post Andy but a great read mate! Well done. :goodpost:
Oblivion!!!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Thanks for the kind words all! :bow:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Looks like Marlon Pack is leaving for Swindon today, with cash + Luke Rooney coming the other way.

Pack has been nowhere near as good this year for Cheltenham, so I don't think that's too big a loss for them, especially with the signings they have made already! Rooney is a weird one, I remember he had the game of his life down here when Gills beat us 2-5 (or it may have been the year before) but he seems to have attitude problems. Maybe Yates can iron that out, who knows.

EDIT: Also looks like Yates is trying to get Byron Harrison in from AFC Wimbledon, with captain Alan Bennett going the other way. That'd be interesting, another striker. I wouldn't have thought he'd play much with Benson and Harrad in the pecking order..
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Tough, tough game for us. As if the Cheltenham squad wasn't already decent enough, to be adding the likes of Benson, Rooney, Taylor and Hector in the last couple of days has shown real ambition on the part of CTFC.

I actually fancy them to claim the 3rd automatic spot now although it's fair to say it really is wide open at the moment. When you look at the sort of money that is being thrown around, not so much in transfer fees but more so in wages, there are going to be some clubs in this division whose Chairman are not going to be best pleased if they don't go up ... the likes of Cheltenham, Rotherham, Fleetwood, Bradford, Southend along with Gillingham and Port Vale all seem to have " pushed the boat out" in order to secure promotion ... but of course they can't all go up and no doubt some Managers will be out of work by the end of the season as a consequence!

As for us, I think it's clear that we have already settled for mid table security - avoiding a relegation battle being the first priority - evidenced by the fact that we are the only team in League 2 not to have recruited anyone in this transfer window. ...understandable perhaps given our financial situation. Hopefully, we are gearing up for more of a push next season, although I do worry what impact having 15 players out of contract during the summer, including crucially the likes of Howe, Saah and Downes, might have on our squad rebuilding for next season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed CP, when a club spends big it does lead to extra pressure not just for the manager but the club as a whole, there has be some return or heads will role.

The biggest concern out of that list must be for Cheltenham Town's long term future, yes they would have made a fair whack from the away match at Spurs, but as we know a Play-off final is worth peanuts, and their f,a cup match with Everton was at home with a 6,800 gate yes it was on espn but hardly a life changing amount of money.

Just looked at their average gate for their last 4 homes games which stands at 3,100 any extra income they earnt will not last long having spent out this kind of money on those gates, at least the other clubs are working of gates of 5,000 plus.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We'll be playing this match at exactly the right time. All these newcomers to Cheltenham will throw their team completely out of sync. We on the other hand will be playing as a team. Our defence will completely stifle their individual scoring efforts and approach play, and our passing and cohesion will open up their defence at will.
Cheltenham 0 Torquay 1 :-D
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

yellowsmiffy wrote:I think we could get a draw in this one if we work hard. If Pack leaves, then we have a serious chance, as they will really miss him in the middle.

I would start Jarvis with Rene. I really like Jarvis. He has a LOT of quality on the ball, and showed some really decent feet and touches against City.

I'd have Stevens and Billy on the wings, after both impressed me on monday. Anyone who criticised Stevens on monday night should watch the game back. Even though he didn't skin his man, he provided some excellent link-up play, both on the wing and through the middle, with some nice flicks and good feet. Billy did well, and showed good skill on a couple of occasions, and also played a quality through ball for Rene from the middle. I just don't like Craig out wide, although he seems to be decent defensively, so has his merits. Looking forward to Mackers getting off the bench again, and has done well at Cheltenham in the past!

Manse and Lathrope, more of the same please.

I love our centrebacks, but I don't rate our fullbacks currently. I don't know if Tom Cruise can actually play left back as he's supposed to be able to do, but i'd give Nico a rest if possible. He was really poor against City when you watch it back. I don't like Oastler as a player, but i'm not sure i'd throw Leadbitter in.

Going to go for a 1-1 result, with us equalising late for once!!! COYY!!!
Pack has hardly played for us, particularly in recent weeks. He is still with us, however, but I doubt he will start.

I am expecting:

Brown

Jombati Hector Elliott Jones

McGlashan Taylor Carter Penn

Harrison Benson

Have a safe trip up everyone.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Cheltenham splashing the cash. Must say, if they don't get up this year in a mediocre league you'd wonder how they would fare next year when the money runs out.
TUST #324
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Who says we are splashing the cash? Zebroski (now gone thankfully), Benson, Harrison, and Rooney (to be confirmed next week) are all players who MY tried to sign much earlier than when he managed to do so. What changed in this time? It certainly wasn't the release of more funds, it was simply Yates persuading them of our ambitions and showing signs of really appreciating their ability. Benson turned us down last week for example, and has said in his interview today that he changed his mind because he was surprised that Yates tried to sign him again. Persistence and patience really pays off in this league.

We have generated profits for the last couple of years, have very few debts, and have accumulated a considerable sum over the last couple of seasons - we also don't spend money on big screens. In Paul Baker, we probably have one the best Chairmen in the Football League, who has been in that position for 15 years and is very risk-averse. The one time he did take a massive risk was during the Allen-era, and he was scarred by that experience. I can say with certainty that we are not spending beyond our means. We are just being patient, making wise investments and taking the opportunities when they come.

As for tomorrow, I think we ought to win (and certainly should do on paper), but I worry about how our new signings will gel and we are on an underwhelming run of form. With that in mind, there is probably not a better time to be playing us. The sensible money is probably on a draw.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fair enough Hubert Parry, must admit I also raised more than an eyebrow when I saw the number of players signed by your club.

Really looking forward to this now, just hope we can stand up aswell in this match, as the team did on Monday night, I would have taken 2 pts from Greeks and Cheltenham away, we already have 3 pts, so please add to the bonus. COYY :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Thanks Hubert. Always enjoy our games against your lot ...... except when you beat us in the play offs last season. Sounds as if Cheltenham are going in the right direction - it's good to see one of the less fancied clubs doing well. I feel it in my water that it will be a draw ........... Good luck for the rest of the season. We'll be happy if you finish above Fatty Evans' Rotherham.
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Same with you lot! I live in Exeter and many of my friends support Torquay, and apart from the friendly banter, we all share a common desire to see Torquay become the official 'Number One' team in Devon - cannot stand ECFC particularly, they have delusions of grandeur and are in as much a false position as you are (for differing reasons). You guys also have a good record against us (playoffs aside), and you are very hard to beat (Ling teams always remind me of Cheltenham under John Ward - nothing particularly fancy, no prima donnas, but so solid defensively and difficult to beat).

I am always nervous ahead of these games because one particular Gull friend of mine is very opportunistic at the slightest 'chink in one's armor'. A very interesting game today.

One piece of advice for those travelling up by car - whilst it seems easier to go to a car park, there is a lot of street parking that looks far away on the map, but there are paths unmarked which make it only a two minute walk to the away end - lots of free spaces on Pitville Circus Road.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Hubert Parry wrote:Same with you lot! I live in Exeter and many of my friends support Torquay, and apart from the friendly banter, we all share a common desire to see Torquay become the official 'Number One' team in Devon - cannot stand ECFC particularly, they have delusions of grandeur and are in as much a false position as you are (for differing reasons). You guys also have a good record against us (playoffs aside), and you are very hard to beat (Ling teams always remind me of Cheltenham under John Ward - nothing particularly fancy, no prima donnas, but so solid defensively and difficult to beat).

I am always nervous ahead of these games because one particular Gull friend of mine is very opportunistic at the slightest 'chink in one's armor'. A very interesting game today.

One piece of advice for those travelling up by car - whilst it seems easier to go to a car park, there is a lot of street parking that looks far away on the map, but there are paths unmarked which make it only a two minute walk to the away end - lots of free spaces on Pitville Circus Road.

You are right about parking HP. I am parking down at my daughter's near Carlton Road and walking up through to Whaddon Road which will take 20 odd minutes at a fastish pace. Parking is a bit hit and miss down there but I usually find somewhere. Missus and daughter going the opposite way into town shopping (YAWN!!).

Here's to another good game at one of my fave away ground and clubs. Best of luck for the rest of the season to you guys (after today of course). :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Smiffs; Yates seems to prefer Darren Carter in the middle, who I think plays the same role that Pack would, but better. Obviously Carter has lots of experience in the higher leagues too. I'm quite glad that they don't have Luke Rooney yet because he's a good player. As for that Cureton bit, that would explain why Tisdale wanted to keep things quiet in his post-match interview to Radio Devon :lol:

Leaving in a bit, can't wait! :)
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Carter and Pack cannot really play together because they are too similar (and Carter is a much better footballer). We have suffered some heavy results this season because we have played those two in the middle, and neither of them can tackle. Now that we have Jason Taylor, we have sought to remedy that problem.

Doesn't surprise me about Cureton and Tisdale - the latter strikes me as very arrogant in every single interview. He talks a complicated game and appears to know little about the teams he is playing against. Was so pleased to see you win though (not only for our sakes, but I do expect the Greeks to nosedive).