Part time football ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

We are a small community club with I'm guessing around 90 % local and around 10% exiles like myself. We are not Manchester United with vast amount of fans worldwide. You would think with that in mind he would have met the majority of local fans in some kind of forum style gathering. He hasn't ? So question is why hasn't ?

Simple answer he knows that we know what his intentions are and will poop his pants at the questioning.

As Donald Rumsfeld said ...i would describe as a known unknown

Site conditions always pose unknowns, or uncertainties, which may become known during construction or operation to the detriment of the facility and possibly lead to damage of the environment or endanger public health and safety. The risk posed by unknowns is somewhat dependent on the nature of the unknown relative to past experience. This has led me classify unknowns into one of the following two types: 1. known unknowns (expected or foreseeable conditions), which can be reasonably anticipated but not quantified based on past experience as exemplified by case histories
Unknown unknowns (unexpected or unforeseeable conditions), which pose a potentially greater risk simply because they cannot be anticipated based on past experience or investigation.

Known unknowns result from phenomena which are recognized, but poorly understood. On the other hand, unknown unknowns are phenomena which cannot be expected because there has been no prior experience or theoretical basis for expecting the phenomena.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If we go part-time a local manager should be appointed and I thought we should have had Shaun Joyce before Nicholson was appointed and he would have done a better job as he has the experience.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Why may i ask a local one ? I think a local manager if the merits outway the non local choice merits would be ideal but would a local manager have a advantage on merit over a non local manager if the merits of the local manager were not up to the merit of the non local manager
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 19:38 Why may i ask a local one ? I think a local manager if the merits outway the non local choice merits would be ideal but would a local manager have a advantage on merit over a non local manager if the merits of the local manager were not up to the merit of the non local manager
I am not just saying have a local manager I am saying have a local manager who is up to the job as Shaun Joyce is, as he knows the league and players also having the experience. Owers still has my support as he is the man who is manager of Torquay United but if things change I know where I would be looking as Shaun should have been appointed before Nicholson.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No to Joyce for me. If he was any good he wouldn't be where he is now.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

"If" the Club goes down surely part-time football is a no-brainer?
Someone posted on here how much they are losing per day/week already, so with less income there have to be major cuts or CO will need to fork out even more of his hard earned cash.

There will have to be a reduction in staff levels as well, there are a lot of paid staff at the club currently, many will go and perhaps more 'volunteers' will be called on, rewarded with a matchday ticket.
Back in the old days (MB's time) there were only 3-4 full time paid staff within the walls, time to turn the clock back.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

arcadia wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 22:51 I am not just saying have a local manager I am saying have a local manager who is up to the job as [highlight=yellow]Shaun Joyce is, as he knows the league and player[/highlight]s also having the experience. Owers still has my support as he is the man who is manager of Torquay United but if things change I know where I would be looking as Shaun should have been appointed before Nicholson.
Has he ever managed in the National South? I thought his experience was restricted to the Southern and Western Leagues.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

To be fair it's not like Osbourne hasn't invested money already, Nicho didn't sign all those experienced players in the summer for nothing. I would imagine the wage bill now is a lot higher than it has been for a number of years. Not to mention the cost of sacking Nicho and taking Owers and Kuhl from Bath.
As for turning part-time, I think that would be then end of us. And moving the training ground up north? Well that's tantamount to financial doping - cheating and we would cease to be Torquay United.
At the end of the day all I want to see is a self sufficient Torquay United based in and playing in Torquay.
Up The Gulls (even when they're down)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

PhilGull wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 12:50And moving the training ground up north? Well that's tantamount to financial doping - cheating and we would cease to be Torquay United.
How is that cheating?

Yeovil Town trained at the Metropolitan Police's Imber Court when they were an Isthmian League club, Barrow train in Rochdale and Truro in Plymouth having preciously used Torquay Academy.

There are plenty of clubs throughout the country who base their trqaining where it is more convenient and practical than the town in which their ground is located...........if United are to go part-time; I think it will inevitably be the way to go if they want to be successful.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

merse btpir wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 13:07 How is that cheating?

Yeovil Town trained at the Metropolitan Police's Imber Court when they were an Isthmian League club, Barrow train in Rochdale and Truro in Plymouth having preciously used Torquay Academy.

There are plenty of clubs throughout the country who base their trqaining where it is more convenient and practical than the town in which their ground is located...........if United are to go part-time; I think it will inevitably be the way to go if they want to be successful.
I just don't think it's right. If the players are training oop north why not move the ground there too, potential to attract more fans. We are Torquay United and I think should be based in Torquay. I also think Truro should be based in Truro, Yeovil in Yeovil, etc. This is one of the problems with the modern game, like the big clubs bringing in kids from all over the world, Premier League teams have completly lost touch with their fans and I would hate to see the same happen with Torquay but I guess I'm just an old romantic and it's probably too late anyway.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

I wouldn't call it cheating ...but what about west country based players ?? Doesn't have to be torquay for me but ideally south or mid Devon ...exeter way with the m5 - a303 corridor might help
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Phil, if you extend the logic of your argument further then surely you only want local lads playing for us, but we've been signing players from up north since day one.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

If you want to rise above South Devon League level then you have to run your club accordingly; this is the logic of a parks team and players 'commuting' in to play for clubs is nothing new ~ it's always been there!

The motorways of England are awash with players to-ing and fro-ing between home and training location on a daily basis; my own son is on his third professional club and has never trained less than 90 minutes from home.......and that's in an area where there are plenty more clubs located nearer to his doorstep than those he has been with; professional sport just doesn't work that way.

If Truro were based in Truro and Yeovil based in Yeovil in those days their catchment area of players would have been far more restricted and their achievements curtailed as a result.

How many of United's current players do you think stay in the town when they have the chance to 'go home' for a few days? You might be quite surprised.
Last edited by merse btpir on 27 Feb 2018, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Of course, if players want to come then great, ideally they will move in to the area and become a part of the local community. My concern is more with the club itself. If the players are based at a midlands training ground Sunday to Friday and only turn up in the bay on a Saturday then any community links will be lost. No more ad-hoc hospital visits or the like. We'll just have two away teams turning up to play.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 23:10 No to Joyce for me. If he was any good he wouldn't be where he is now.
Dave you supported Nicho and so did I when he was in the job but if you put the two together Shaun is far more experienced has contacts and he's working on a low budget. Not many managers last as long as he's been at Bideford they don't want to lose him and he has turned down offers at a higher level. I don't think Torquay would be in this sad position if they had chosen him.

The managers that have been in possession of the managers job have failed on the basics.