Torquay United v Bath City 7/8/2018

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Your not going to win this league playing perfect football, every game will be ugly. Personally I will take an ugly 1-0 every game.
Most would have been content with 4 points against Chelmsford and bath and let's not forget we haven't conceded a goal which will breed confidence. Interesting that the OS have us 5th having played 3 games and on 7 points. That might be the case come 5pm Saturday
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Lucy
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

To be honest I am shocked we have played two games and not conceded a goal!!!! Build from the back.... Certainly need to form a strike force. But four points from two games no goals conceded not a bad start. Anyone hear of anyone coming in before the window??
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

From Bath City FC :-

Late goal sees City slip to narrow Torquay defeat 08 Aug 2018

''City are still looking for their first point of the 2018-19 season after they slipped to a single goal defeat at Torquay United this evening. Although City more than matched their full-time opponent’s for much of the clash the only goal of the game came with 10 minutes left when Davis fired a low shot through a crowded penalty box into the corner of the net. Despite a great early chance for the home side – Williams blasting high over Ryan Clarke’s goal on four minutes – City enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges without testing MacDonald in the Gulls goal. They had an escape on 22 minutes when Williams looped a header onto the top of the bar but continued to pass the ball around well on the excellent Plainmoor surface. Ross Stearn stung the palms of MacDonald on 36 minutes after one such move as City finished the half on top once again. And they should had gone in front four minutes after the interval when MacDonald flapped at a high cross only for John Mills to volley over the unguarded goal from a couple of yards out. Several promising moves followed but the hosts were beginning to pose a greater threat going foward and push City onto the back-foot. Just past the hour mark though City came within inches of taking the lead, Stearn whipping in a great cross that Andy Watkins headed against the bar. This would be as close as City would come and they had several nervous moments before Davis struck on 80 minutes.''

One more win on Saturday please . . . . . . .
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 03:50 To be honest I am shocked we have played two games and not conceded a goal!!!! Build from the back.... Certainly need to form a strike force. But four points from two games no goals conceded not a bad start. Anyone hear of anyone coming in before the window??
There is no "window" in the National League. We can sign players all year round. This is why we ended up with Rhys Healey from Cardiff late last season, they wanted him to get some game time but EFL clubs couldn't sign him as their "window" was closed.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a fair report but they didn't mention Niate's header from a corner which was going in when it hit one of our players on the goal line and then from another someone put it just wude.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

A wins a win. Now we can push on. Long season so no need to peak after 2 games. COYY
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

OK so we finally have a cursory match report on DevonLive this morning (by Stuart James), which is of a much lower standard than the many excellent postings on here. Where is Dave Thomas - has he returned from Norfolk/Chelmsford yet? (Re: last week's podcast hosted by Henderson & Hughes in Thomas's absence). A poor state of affairs if Torquay United's football matches warrant no more than a passing comment in the local media (as opposed to news about stadium plans).
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

I have had some time to recover from witnessing a win at Plainmoor and another clean sheet.

It has been a while since TUFC have kept 2 clean sheets in a row!

There are already lots of great reports and reviews on the match, also some varying views (as you would expect).

Match Overview

The game started on even terms with both teams making errors and Bath certainly looking a little uneasy in defense. It was clear from an early stage that the combination of Williams and Reid 'up top' just doesn't work and I will stick by my views that Reid just isn't good enough nor has the right attitude to keep his place in the team.

A few early errors from Bath went unpunished by a lackluster Brett and his boys, then it was the turn of Bath to test Macdonald (who had another steady night in goal), Macdonald stood firm and made a nice save leading to a Bath corner. I think it is fair to say the first half ended with lots of moans and groans, neither side happy, although both teams still had their goal in tact.

The second half was completely different. Gary Owers made two much needed substitutions. replacing an ineffective Regis with Nabi and a totally useless Reid with Keating. It took 10 minutes before Torquay started to click, in that time Dickson had to make a superb last ditch two footed challenge to prevent a shot on goal and Bath were a little unlucky not to go one up after a devilish cross beat MacDonald and struck the crossbar. It took yet another HUGE last ditch tackle, this time from Wynter, to prevent another one-on-one on goal... Torquay were certainly riding their luck but were also finding a foothold in the attacking third of the pitch.

A series of corners to Torquay finally led to the first real opportunity, I cant be sure who, it looked like Keating who helped Bath out by blocking a powerful header from Niate that would have given the goals a one nil lead. Then two corners later Sokolik looked like he was being tugged at the back post and his outstretched leg just guided the ball wide - No PENALTY.

Finally the Gulls got the breakthrough, Williams controlled the ball and had the chance to play in Wynter down the right channel, typical Brett held the ball and the opportunity looked to have passed but he found Wynter whilst it seemed that had stood still. Wynter unleashed a superb cross which with the helping 'HAND' (literally) of the Bath left back went through all the players in the box BUT found an onrushing Liam Davis who unleashed a left foot bullet shot and Clarke in the bath goal motionless as the ball went into the bottom right of the Bath net.

Torquay held firm and got the result. 3 points in the bag.

Ratings

GK - MacDonald - 8/10 - Second clean sheet and did what he needed, a stray kick every now and then but fair play to the guy and giving Owers plenty to think about when Bass returns.

Def - Niate - 7/10 - Totally solid and personally I like his no nonsense booting the ball out when under pressure. I have nightmares thinking about the number of goals we have conceed because previous defenders have messed about with the ball at the back.

Def - Sokolik - 6/10 - Can't head the ball...liability IMO

Def - Cameron - 7/10 - Good game and has good A-B pace for a defender.

LWB - Davis - 8/10 - Played well, showed again that he has NO right foot but what a finish with his left!

RWB - Wynter - 7/10 - Getting better down the right, gives 100%, made a few crazy slide tackles that missed the Bath player (thankfully)

Mid - Hall - 7/10 - Experience is obvious.

Mid - Dickson - 8/10 - Might not be the fastest but seems to have a bit of an engine, played well, box to box, holds ball well.

Mid - Regis - 6/10 - Opposite to Saturday against Chelmsford, looked tired or lazy...

For - Williams - 6/10 - Maybe a 6 is a little generous because I thought Brett was utter crap... I like Brett and he should get goals,needs a strike partner, he got better with Keating on the pitch.

For - Reid - 3/10 - May aswell have had 10 players on the pitch

Subs:

Mid - Nabi on, Regis off

Nabi is a bit like Marmite, I love his style, he does vanish for periods in games but he gives the midfield some weight (again, literally) but I think we need that at this level. Good vision and makes some lovely passes.

For - Keating on, Reid off

Keating and Brett work better than Reid and Brett, he runs lots and does make the opposition rush, he can win a header which is another bonus.

Reflection

3 points is 3 points, not going to Win games in this league playing pretty. Concord nearly pulled off a win against Billericay, Truro drew with Western and Chelmsford lost. Far too early to be saying Bath are a good side, Billericay will win the league or that Chelmsford will be in the playoffs.

I don't think being full time should mean we destroy teams in the final 20, most of the teams in our league don't train every day but instead have daily fitness targets or regimes that players work on in their own time. What it does mean is that we should have more training pitch time to work on set-plays and tactics.

Finally, this is long....

If we win Saturday that is 7 from 9 points, something I still would be very pleased with.

An amazing support and over 2000 in the ground, lets keep this up and make Plainmoor a nightmare place for away teams to come.

Bring on Saturday!
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Excellent post quiet gull!
Your summary and player reports are spot on.

GO needs to stop picking Reid. How many years has he been at the club and patently failed to deliver, apart from the odd penalty kick.
Williams as captain will not work IMO as he does not have the maturity to carry out the role when the chips are down and the team needs a boost.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Good report - apart from the slagging off of Reid. Giving Williams double the mark that Reid got is just plain daft because Williams was actually worse if anything in the first half.

Missed the chance (which incidentally was set up by Reid) and at once stage threw himself on the floor trying to buy a free kick.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

brucie wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 11:35 Good report - apart from the slagging off of Reid. Giving Williams double the mark that Reid got is just plain daft because Williams was actually worse if anything in the first half.

Missed the chance (which incidentally was set up by Reid) and at once stage threw himself on the floor trying to buy a free kick.
Fair point brucie,

For - Williams - 6/10 - Maybe a 6 is a little generous because I thought Brett was utter crap... I like Brett and he should get goals,needs a strike partner, he got better with Keating on the pitch.

For - Reid - 3/10 - May aswell have had 10 players on the pitch

- He was utter crap, at least I got this bit right! I think my higher rating is because deep in my mind I remember Brett doing great things, whereas Reid I predominantly have terrible memories. I confess, in hindsight perhaps Brett should be more of a 4/5.

I also don't think Brett is the right man to captain the team, but I doubt Owers will listen to me :lol:
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Alot being posted regarding Reid and Williams. The one thing i would say is that neither gets much support from midfield and lets be honest some of the crosses and balls into them is poor. Many times they just get isolated and outnumbered. They need support from midfield and the wingbacks.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

I, personally, don't rate Reid at all...I wasn't there last night but was at Chelmsford on Saturday and his display was woeful. He seems scared of the ball whenever he has it and cannot jump to save his life, and it seems from QG's summary that he produced the same last night. The alternative, Keating, isn't that much better. Williams will get us goals this season that's for sure, but without a decent partner for him up front, he's going to struggle to reach double figures.

Anyways, a win is a win is a win as they say. Undefeated in 2, no goals conceded. So not all bad is it.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Keating was very good when he came on last night.