Good luck to Exeter City

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:09 I used Spurs/Arsenal purely as an example, not that we are/were/ever will be them. There are many Leeds fans out there who consider Man U to be their biggest rivals. They’ve not played in the same league for years, but the desire to see United fail is still there.

If, and this is a big if, Spurs or Arsenal were relegated from the league and ended up not playing against each other, do you think the rivalry would end? Of course it wouldn’t. The dislike for the club would still be there regardless.

We may be in totally different leagues, but I see both the greasers and the Gargs as rivals, and delight in their losses (when they happen) in the same way that I am sure there are supporters of both of those clubs who are loving the fact that we are struggling so much at this time.
Bournemouth see their rivals as Southampton who actually couldn't care less about Bournemouth because their rivalry is with Pompey. Sound familiar?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

As a kid Torquay vs Exeter on a boxing day was proper rivalry , Plymouth were mostly way above Torquay playing in what is now the Championship ,so Exeter were the team to beat.Now ,let's not kid ourselves,we never were Celtic v Rangers or Spurs v Arsenal or even Everton v Liverpool but when we were on an equal footing we wanted to beat Exeter as much as any of the big rivalries . The big difference with the big rivalries is that these are City rivalries not county rivalries.We now live in a much different world and I suspect if Everton were in the Championship or hit bad times,Liverpool would like them to get promoted back to the premier, the only time we are likely to play Exeter is in a fluke FA cup draw or a pre season friendly so unless you are rooted in the past I whish Exeter the best of luck in future endeavors untill the very unlikely day dawns when we end up in the same league then all bets are off.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

The way were going people, our main rivals will soon be the mighty Buckland Athletic .
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Really rivals are everyone team we ever play. I would describe Exeter as the shitty neighbours that I love getting one over on. If our positions were reversed I'd love them to get back in the league so we can give them a bloody good spanking
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote: 30 May 2018, 15:04 Along with the majority of the fans.
Possibly but I doubt even the majority of Torquay can muster a cheer if Exeter are losing. It’s just pointless now.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

hector wrote: 30 May 2018, 19:54 Possibly but I doubt even the majority of Torquay can muster a cheer if Exeter are losing. It’s just pointless now.
Whilst I can never wish Plymouth Well, due to having stones thrown at me and my dad after losing 4-3 at Home Park back in the 90's, I used to have a real hatred of Exeter, as Facebook memories keeps reminding me of with some rather cringeworthy status' from around 10 years ago.

However my dislike of Exeter particularly, but Plymouth as Well, has dissipated with our decline to the extent that I didn't even realise Exeter had made the play off final.

I would love to think that we can get back to playing Exeter again, although I think the most likely scenario is them dropping into the National League for us to play them. Then maybe the rivalry will come back, but for me it is gone. Sadly i dont think we'll ever play Plymouth in a league game again. 2012 New Years away at Plymouth was one of my all time favourite away days.

I used to look for Torquay first, Plymouth second and Exeter third almost religiously when checking the scores. This year I don't remember looking for Plymouth or Exeter at all, and often wouldn't have known how they got on come Monday morning.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Tisdale has left. Suspect things are going to take a sharp dip for them now. Their fans don’t know how lucky they’ve been and perhaps deserve the decline that is heading their way.

Can I recommend Gary Owers for the vacancy?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I second that ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

No need to recoup the fee we paid to Bath City either. Yours for free.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

How long before old special balls Nicholsons' name gets linked with the job ?
sgf
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by sgf »

Teigngull wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 17:12 How long before old special balls Nicholsons' name gets linked with the job ?
He'd feel like he'd won the lottery....... ;-)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Teigngull wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 17:12 How long before old special balls Nicholsons' name gets linked with the job ?
Kevin Nicholson has indeed been linked with the job, except that it is their former youth coach with the same name, rather than our former lottery-winning legacy builder.
Rooftop7

Post by Rooftop7 »

hector wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:22 Tisdale has left. Suspect things are going to take a sharp dip for them now. Their fans don’t know how lucky they’ve been and perhaps deserve the decline that is heading their way.

Can I recommend Gary Owers for the vacancy?

After losing in the play offs do they really deserve to be kicked in the teeth again with Owers on the doorstep.!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Unfortunately, it would seem Exeter have not taken up the offer to recruit Gary Owers; they have already appointed Tisdale’s replacement: Matt Taylor, one of their youth coaches and former player. Could be argued they have gone down the #legend route but at least Taylor has some credentials.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

hector wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 20:27...they have already appointed Tisdale’s replacement: Matt Taylor, one of their youth coaches and former player. Could be argued they have gone down the #legend route but at least Taylor has some credentials.
As long as you have a fit for purpose footballing infrastructure in place then these sort of appointments make sense ~ trouble with Torquay United is that this sort of set-up has never (and I repeat never) never, ever been in place!

Julian Tagg is no fool and will have had his replacement pencilled in ever since this nonsense with Tisdale courtesy of the trust, began and no doubt Taylor has been told in confidence he was the heir apparent.

Continuity at a club with City's set-up makes sense and at least they didn't insist on the candidate having a PCV licence before he would be considered ~ considered? hell-fire a shoe-in for the job I should say ~ maybe here is a place to be applied for by a certain candidate but would it be all wind in the Willows and no CV based substance; is that man even qualified to head an U23 squad?

Read more: http://thelondonlabia.proboards.com/thr ... y?page=113