What is required

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Although we are all clutching at straws with Woking we do have a chance of ‘bettering’ their goal difference. With the scenario of us having to win our remaining three games that is a minimum of plus 3 goals whereas Woking loose their 2 games that is a minimum of minus 2 giving a ‘swing’ of at least 5! We are only 6 worse off than them at present??!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

With a lot of respect to you Paignton boy, I admire your straw clutching immensely, the harsh truth of it though is we havent scored enough all season, that's why we're where we are, cows arses & banjo's spring to mind on this one, on well, I'm off to feed my herd of camels.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Paignton boy wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 14:32 Although we are all clutching at straws with Woking we do have a chance of ‘bettering’ their goal difference. With the scenario of us having to win our remaining three games that is a minimum of plus 3 goals whereas Woking loose their 2 games that is a minimum of minus 2 giving a ‘swing’ of at least 5! We are only 6 worse off than them at present??!
Goal difference v Woking will only come in to it if they get a draw and a win from their last two games and we win our three. Then we'd both have 49 points. In that case the swing would be one lower than you say so as they've scored more we'd need to make up an extra 3 goals over single goal wins / defeats. If we win at Hartlepool and Woking win or draw at Guiseley then we should target a good winning margin v Guiseley.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Woking two games left not won since Feb 10th No chance of winning last Two
Barrow won something like 2 in the last 10 3 of there 4 games are away.
Torquay won 3 of last 5.... We are the form team. Win our last 3 games we are staying up......
We two of last 3 goes right to the death..
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

I admire your optimism but it’s too late. I expect Barrow and Woking to get three points against Guiseley; especially, as somebody pointed out, Guiseley are playing 3 times this week with Woking being the third of those games. As with Halifax this week I doubt the Guiseley players will have much left in their legs!! We are relying on the others too much and it will take a near miracle to avoid the drop this time!!
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

SatNav wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 21:22 I admire your optimism but it’s too late. I expect Barrow and Woking to get three points against Guiseley; especially, as somebody pointed out, Guiseley are playing 3 times this week with Woking being the third of those games. As with Halifax this week I doubt the Guiseley players will have much left in their legs!! We are relying on the others too much and it will take a near miracle to avoid the drop this time!!
It's not optimism. It's very much a long shot but still worth looking at the scenarios.
It might still be OK if Woking beat Guiseley as they may well lose to Dover on the last day.
However we really need Guiseley to beat Barrow (or at least draw) otherwise even if Barrow don't win either of their two other more difficult away games they will be out of reach if they beat Chester at home on the last day which has to be very likely.
Of course us winning three games is going to be far from easy especially if Ebbsfleet need to win to make the play offs which is quite likely.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

I honestly believe if we win all 3 games we will stay up. After such a shocking season I cannot believe we are still in with a chance of avoiding the drop.
Even if Woking beat Guisley they might still need to get something from Dover(they have not won since Feb 10th)
The question is have we got the guts/balls to win all 3 games. That is what I am having issues with.
And lets not forget we play Guisley week on Tues so it will work in our favour regarding the games played by the time they get to Plainmoor they should be done for..
We need to get the result at Hartlepool. A scrappy 1-0 will do...
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

To stay up requires all of the following to occur:

1. We win all three games
2. Woking take no more than 3 points from their last two games. (or 4 if we make up goal difference)
3. Barrow take no more than 3 points from their last three games (including Chester home).

So last night's result makes it even more improbable.

Even if we win at Hartlepool we will be relegated on Saturday if either Barrow or Woking win (and Woking are at Guiseley).

If we beat Hartlepool & Guiseley, Woking lose to Guiseley & Barrow don't win at either Aldershot or Bromley then it will go to the last game. But we will be replying on Woking & Barrow to drop points (and what chance is there of Barrow failing to win at home to already relegated Chester?)
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

standupsitdown wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 08:39 To stay up requires all of the following to occur:

1. We win all three games
2. Woking take no more than 3 points from their last two games. (or 4 if we make up goal difference)
3. Barrow take no more than 3 points from their last three games (including Chester home).

So last night's result makes it even more improbable.

Even if we win at Hartlepool we will be relegated on Saturday if either Barrow or Woking win (and Woking are at Guiseley).

If we beat Hartlepool & Guiseley, Woking lose to Guiseley & Barrow don't win at either Aldershot or Bromley then it will go to the last game. But we will be replying on Woking & Barrow to drop points (and what chance is there of Barrow failing to win at home to already relegated Chester?)
In reality, Barrow only need TWO points from their remaining three games - due to their vastly superior goal difference (-11) over us (-27). So, even if we were to WIN all THREE of our remaining games - our only hope is if Barrow get TWO points or less from those three remaining games - Aldershot (a); Bromley (a) and Chester (h) and as for Woking their superior goal difference (and goals scored) means that we need them to get THREE points or less from their remaining two games - Guiseley (a) and Dover (h).

So it is still possible .... but highly, highly unlikely!
Last edited by CP Gull on 18 Apr 2018, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

With our GD we need Barrow to just get 1 point from the last three games. If they get to 49 points we are down. Unless we start scoring for fun and Barrow start leaking at the back.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

All you can say is that we still have a sliver of hope. The likelihood is that Barrow will pick up three more points and that we won’t win all our games. I think we could overhaul Woking, I can’t see them picking up more than one point from their last two. Still, it would be great if it went to the last game.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 09:27 In reality, Barrow only need TWO points from their remaining three games - due to their vastly superior goal difference (-11) over us (-27). So, even if we were to WIN all THREE of our remaining games - our only hope is if Barrow get ONE point or less from those three remaining games - Aldershot (a); Bromley (a) and Chester (h) and as for Woking their superior goal difference (and goals scored) means that we need them to get THREE points or less from their remaining two games - Guiseley (a) and Dover (h).

So it is still possible .... but highly, highly unlikely!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

What is required? To finish fourth from bottom would be the best to hope for in the slimmest of slim chances (ala Blackadder) that somebody else above has off the field problems and goes into administration!
Now where did I put my pillow? zzzzz
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

nickbrod wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 11:14 What is required? To finish fourth from bottom would be the best to hope for in the slimmest of slim chances (ala Blackadder) that somebody else above has off the field problems and goes into administration!
Now where did I put my pillow? zzzzz
Just seen today's London Evening Standard who are reporting Dagenham & Redbridge are in danger of going into liquidation this summer. No new investor has come forward and Saturday's match could be their last ever home game as they struggle to pay their players after next month.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

''I was born under the Mini Stand....''