TUFC Latest Links

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Roman Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Roman Gull »

Morning guys, something a bit different today as Steve Harris blogs about ex-Gull Les Lievesley on the site now..

https://wp.me/p8hUrT-3sB

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Dom
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

Good picture of GJ being mobbed at St. Albans in the Sun on Sunday today, (bit late I know). Gets more than a mention in the story about Bristol City and his son Lee.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Rjc70 wrote: 05 May 2019, 02:12 If I must, Dave. It’ll attract predictable responses after a season of success on the pitch at this lowest of all TUFC levels we were at, though.

Reading routinely saw crowds above National League South and National League up until the year before it was killed off there. Their penultimate season saw them within one race of winning the equivalent of the Premier League in that sport live on Sky before Osborne’s promises, bulldozers, club death and the sprouting up nearby of commercial units and housing. BT Sport cover the sport since 2016 after Sky showing it for more than a decade before that. The Grand Prix events sell out across the world and attract big TV revenue to this day.

The crowd at Swindon v Poole when I went the other week was more than an Owers Torquay and approaching the average of a Johnson Torquay. It was, however, noticeable the nearest house to the noisy ‘pits’ was about 20 yards away tops. Still no new stadium there despite a second decade having commenced since an Osborne/Stadia UK/GI promise. Just housing.

You don’t like the sport Lucy. I rarely go myself since my club was killed off. But it still pulls in crowds and was the second most attended spectator sport for many years in the UK. Possibly on a par with Rugby now, but also quite possibly still ahead. I don’t know the stats as my interest waned when I lost my club.

If football is the only currency permitted when discussing Osborne, then I’m sure most know Bristol Rovers old ground became an IKEA under Osborne’s watch, forcing them to have a decade playing in Bath. They could survive it. I doubt a much smaller club with the debt it now has to Osborne could. Could it?

Enjoy the promotion as we all are. We have had so much shit in recent years that being Champions at whatever level we had bottomed out at was something we all deserve to enjoy like never before. And even shed a tear over. But why would anyone consider an owner the Messiah for getting us promoted back from the lowest level we’ve ever been at since election to the Football League in 1927 having been relegated under his watch and with the accumulation of a debt in excess of £1.4m to him? Does that cost include the cost of a presentation nicked from a proposed building in India that also never happened and other planning and consultancy services?

He did well getting a good Manager in who had become available. Everyone will agree on that. And when Johnson took some wages off and turned our squad around he performed a minor miracle in the Club management sense. But for me, it’s very much a case of enjoying it while it lasts because I am yet to be made aware of anywhere where stadium project talk with Osborne has led to anything other than tough times for those hoping for it to transpire. I’d be delighted to be corrected and reassured on any of that or the above by anyone who knows any different.

Thank you, Gary Johnson. I hope you get us back to the Football League and increase our attractiveness for new investors at some point in the near future and that Osborne, at that point, sells us on.
:goodpost:

Great Britain also has the current World Speedway Champion - Tai Woffinden, who has now won the title three times. Not that most sports fans would know given that the BBC never gives any publicity to Speedway, preferring to concentrate increasingly on the Premier League and Woman's sport.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

THE TT BLOG

After a busy week reviewing 2018-19, Dom is back in mid-week blogging mode - talking 'TUFC World Cup Squad', Player Gradings, TULFC and more on the site now...

https://torquaytalk.com/2019/05/07/the- ... th-may-19/

COYY
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Wasn't Mark Loram once speedway world champion? 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 07 May 2019, 18:37 Wasn't Mark Loram once speedway world champion? 😀
Indeed. 2000 World Champion, while playing for Elmore/Brixham Villa. ;-)
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Rjc70 wrote: 07 May 2019, 20:08 Indeed. 2000 World Champion, while playing for Elmore/Brixham Villa. ;-)
And former Tranmere and Rotherham legend Ronnie Moore was speedway world champion in the 1950s.
Roman Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Roman Gull »

I bet he didn't have the impressive mullet though :)
dawlishmatt wrote: 07 May 2019, 18:37 Wasn't Mark Loram once speedway world champion? 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
Swatcat
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by Swatcat »

I see our favourite Ben Gerring and Ryan Clarke joined Asa Hall, Kyle Cameron and JAMIE REID in the NLS 'Team of the Season' :keepie:

(On the QT, I understand that BG was enjoined on the merit of his good manners, maturity and diplomatic potential) :@ :@

''Vice captain Kyle Cameron joins Joe Kizzi (Billericay Town), Anthony Straker (Bath City), and former Gulls Ben Gerring (Woking) & goalkeeper Ryan Clarke in defence. Asa Hall joins Chris Whelpdale (Chelmsford City), Nassim L’Ghoul (Welling United), and Jordan Parkes (Hemel Hempstead Town) in midfield. Jamie Reid is paired with Kabongo Tshimanga (Oxford City) up front.''

https://www.torquayunited.com/cameron-h ... he-season/
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by jono_Gull209 »

PROGRAMMES No.1

In a new TT series for the summer, Andy Charles takes a nostalgic look back at TUFC programmes from years gone by, starting with Huddersfield Town in 1955 when a record crowd turned up at Plainmoor.

https://torquaytalk.com/2019/05/13/tufc ... -1955/amp/
Roman Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Roman Gull »

No surprise to see Gerring in the team, gets there because of profile rather than quality I'd suggest but Woking did do the business in the end! Liam Davis is robbed for me, surely no better left back in the NLS this season than him, I'd also take Shaun Mac over Clarke any day...
Swatcat wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:06 I see our favourite Ben Gerring and Ryan Clarke joined Asa Hall, Kyle Cameron and JAMIE REID in the NLS 'Team of the Season' :keepie:

(On the QT, I understand that BG was enjoined on the merit of his good manners, maturity and diplomatic potential) :@ :@

''Vice captain Kyle Cameron joins Joe Kizzi (Billericay Town), Anthony Straker (Bath City), and former Gulls Ben Gerring (Woking) & goalkeeper Ryan Clarke in defence. Asa Hall joins Chris Whelpdale (Chelmsford City), Nassim L’Ghoul (Welling United), and Jordan Parkes (Hemel Hempstead Town) in midfield. Jamie Reid is paired with Kabongo Tshimanga (Oxford City) up front.''

https://www.torquayunited.com/cameron-h ... he-season/
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by jono_Gull209 »

TT BLOG - Dom's mid-week Blog takes a look at the current TUFC squad and assesses what gaps need filling by Gary Johnson, as we await the first incoming(s) of the summer at Plainmoor.

torquaytalk.com/2019/05/15/the-tt-blog-15th-may-19/
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by jono_Gull209 »

jono_Gull209 wrote: 15 May 2019, 13:49 TT BLOG - Dom's mid-week Blog takes a look at the current TUFC squad and assesses what gaps need filling by Gary Johnson, as we await the first incoming(s) of the summer at Plainmoor.

torquaytalk.com/2019/05/15/the-tt-blog-15th-may-19/
Updated link:

https://torquaytalk.com/2019/05/15/the- ... th-may-19/
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

PROGRAMMES No 1

Torquay United v Huddersfield Town 29th Jan 1955.

I was at this Match Andy aged 11.The noise was incredible and I can remember the Christian names of all the Torquay players bar one. Our Goalkeeper.

People were hanging from trees to get a view.Huddersfield were a famous team in those far off days.

The one thing I cannot remember is who I went with.Surely aged 11 I did not go on my own!

It was my second Match. Eric Webber never smiled. He ruled with a rod of iron. A very stern man but a long serving Manager in a very different world compared to today.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by jono_Gull209 »

TT Transfer Talk: Marcus Arscott looks at 6 potential signings that could partner Reidy upfront next season.

https://torquaytalk.com/2019/05/18/tran ... ssion=true