TUFC 2019/20 Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trucker49
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

TUFC 2019/20 Squad

Post by Trucker49 »

Time to start look ahead to next season and what positions we have to fill.

GK – McDonald
RB – Wynter
CB – Cameron
CB – Niate
CB – Sendles-White
LB – Davis
RM – Keating
CM – Hall
CM – Dickson
RM – Kalala
CF – Reid
CF – Koszela

Some may not agree but I am not convinced that Reid has the ability to perform at a higher level. He has done well this season to hit 32 goals but he has missed so many sitters, also he should never be allowed to take a penalty ever again. I think he will get goals but we will be lucky if he gets into double figures. We obviously will be targeting another striker anyway but I think we will need two in order to cover for Reid.

Also not convinced that Niate or Sendles-White are solid enough. Think we can do better. There is definitely space for another CB in the squad, especially if Dickson covers at LB and we have someone like Edwards on the right.

I can see Edwards coming back next season and he would provide good competition/cover at both RM and RB. Could do with the same on the left. Don’t think Evans, Andrews or Janneh will be back again so will need to replace them.

McDonald has shown himself well this season but we will need a proper back up.

Probably looking at needing a starter or cover for GK, CB, RB, CM, RM, LM, CF, CF. Obviously some players will be able to cover more than one position so won’t need eight players but probably another six.
Yellow isn't a colour, it's a state of mind
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I thought Sendles-White is yet to sign on for next season? Think GJ said he's had a few injuries this season and will review whether to offer him a contract towards the end of the season

Edit: Just seen his tweet wishing the club all the best in the future so assume he wasn't offered a new/wanted to play somewhere else.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Sendels-White has just confirmed on twitter he is leaving and looking forward to a new challenge.

Personally would have liked him go stay but the writing was on the wall when he left the celebrations 30 mins earlier than the rest of the team last Saturday.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I agree with your comments Trucker. Reid has improved an exceptional amount this season and I hope he carries this forward into next season. Aside from Cameron at CB I think we are going to need to strengthen up in there as weaknesses have been masked by our goal scoring prowess.

Is everyone listed (aside from JSW) under contract for 2019/20?

Are the players out on loan Essuman, Nabi, Banton and Pittman still under contract? I wonder if any of them will get the opportunity to push for a position in the squad at all?
Uptongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Uptongull »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 20:52 I agree with your comments Trucker. Reid has improved an exceptional amount this season and I hope he carries this forward into next season. Aside from Cameron at CB I think we are going to need to strengthen up in there as weaknesses have been masked by our goal scoring prowess.

Is everyone listed (aside from JSW) under contract for 2019/20?

Are the players out on loan Essuman, Nabi, Banton and Pittman still under contract? I wonder if any of them will get the opportunity to push for a position in the squad at all?
Pittman's contract definitely runs out this summer so he will be gone. I cant imagine Essuman, Nabi and Banton having more than one year contracts handed to them last summer because why would GJ have renegotiated the contracts of other players in January 2019. They must have all been on one-year deals?

Essuman seemed a nice lad doing the TUFC radio commentaries. Cant remember him being too bad? Seems a lifetime ago that he was with us! GJ must not have rated him though.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

GJ has already stated he wants a squad of around 22 for next season, so there will be an influx of players coming in, on past evidence you would trust the Johnson brothers to get their recruitment right.

You never count of loan players returning. Judging by the internet this morning both Sendles-White and Vicent will not be retuning next season. At the half way point of the seasons, my personal concerns were, McDonald, Wynter and Naite, nothing personal against any of them, it must be said.

Out of the three, Wynter for me is the most improved player, and looks to be the one who can make the step, MacDonald, must congratulate him, and the sterling work done By Phil Osbourne, compared to the keeper we saw at the start of the season, massively improved, however must be remembered, we're going a level, there's a lot of forwards in the NLP with football league pedigrees, may need something with more all around ability, sadly because a like MacDonald, just me being honest.

Again I like Naite , he got a great character, but he has one huge problem, which was highlighted a few to many times yesterday, he is too slow, the pace a physicality of many forwards in the NLP he will sadly be found wanting, it's a no from me.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I suspect of our champions, who have proved to be a likeable bunch, that only Cameron, Wynter, Davis and Kalala will be regulars. Of those four, I am confident in the first two. However, have very slight doubts about the latter. Davis doesn't apply his experience and leadership enough as a senior player but his pace is an asset. Kalala may be the one who catches wider attention or he possibly may just drift away, suspect he has reached a tipping point. Of the others, Reid and Keating have to answer the question about whether the undoubted progress they have made will cut it in the National League. I agree with Forever about the others. I think the blip in form we have had brings a more realistic appraisal of next season, which is positive
TUST number 080
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

What blip in form ? Losing 2 games, one which was a complete farce on a pitch almost unplayable , almost grounds for a postponement
and the other , a freak result after we had 80 per cent of the play and created and missed at least a dozen chances
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I wasn't being critical, just noting it brought everyone down to earth a little bit and allowed a more realistic appraisal of the team. We can all get carried away sometimes.

I remember during Nicholson's Great Escape 1, some people favorably comparing the team to Leroy's promotion side.
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Lloyder5 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 08:11 I suspect of our champions, who have proved to be a likeable bunch, that only Cameron, Wynter, Davis and Kalala will be regulars.
So not Asa Hall, then??? Reid has proved that with a good strike partner, he can score goals although they will be harder to come by in National League. He was played out wide by both Nicholson and Owers whereas Gary Johnson has shown that his true position is as a striker.

When it comes to central defenders, I was impressed with Dartford's Ronnie Vint. But I understand league clubs have been watching him and if he has a lucrative 'second job', he may prefer to stay part time. I'm sure Gary Johnson and brother will be looking to strengthen the side with players who will complement the players at the club. No prima donnas like Brett Williams.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

If we were in the conference and our manager signed the top goal scorer in the league below us (and player of the year for the league) we would be over the moon and he would be the first player on the team sheet.

We need to ignore the last time we were in the conference and give him the respect he's earned. Being a striker is about confidence and having a manager who builds around your game, he has both now plus a more experience. People also seem to forget last time he was at this level he was pushed out wide all the time.

Reid has proved alot of us wrong and I dont doubt he will continue to do so next season now he has the right support.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I've got to say that I'd be disappointed if we started recruiting from the league we've just steamrolled ( in 30 games ).
It's a case of horses for courses once again & GJ knows already who's in his sights, & as another very knowledgeable fellow has stated on his BTPIR site, I'd also be surprised if a lot of this season's squad is still here this time next season of even Christmas in my book.
We're in the game to reclaim our spot in the football league, you won't get that with sentimental molly coddling of players, just ask JSW !
If any of them aren't up to scratch by season start I'm sure GJ will dispense if their services forth with.
It doesn't matter whether your Asa, Reidy, Cameron or who ever, if you ain't up to it your out, GJ has told them so already.
Items ruthless business & being pally with players doesn't win you titles.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

Game of opinions I guess, I personally would love it if we picked up the best player in the league below us that has a hunger to prove himself at a higher level rather than a group of journeyman who want one more pay day down by the coast. Reid fits that profile perfectly... but we already have him on our books!

Dont get me wrong, experience is vital but that must come with determination and in recent years we have recruited badly when it comes to that type of player and have had big wages sacrificed for players that just dont care but were once half decent. A blend of experience with the right mindset coupled with the best of the league we have just come from would be perfect imo.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

tomogull wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 15:14 So not Asa Hall, then??? Reid has proved that with a good strike partner, he can score goals although they will be harder to come by in National League.
m
I very much hope both have a very successful season. Asa's leadership has been central this season. I just have a nagging feeling he might struggle with the step up in pace, much like Chris Hargreaves did after promotion. I really hope I am wrong. Reid will get fewer chances, which is my source of doubt but 32 goals, 14 assists and the league's player of the season, should give him bags of confidence.
TUST number 080
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Lloyder5 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 16:34 m
I very much hope both have a very successful season. Asa's leadership has been central this season. I just have a nagging feeling he might struggle with the step up in pace, much like Chris Hargreaves did after promotion. I really hope I am wrong. Reid will get fewer chances, which is my source of doubt but 32 goals, 14 assists and the league's player of the season, should give him bags of confidence.
It's quite simple,
GJ has told them to come back & prove to him that he can't leave them out !
Commitment & desire has been shown in bucket loads since Gary has been here, more of the same plus a bit more quality needed.
Simple.