30 years ago today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

30 years ago today

Post by westyorkshiregull »

30 years ago today. Remember it well on the train the smell of cigar smoke and possibley my ever time in London.

Never forget being at the home leg v wolves and dad promising me to go Wembley if we made it through after away leg. I don't think he expected it nor anyone else.

Memories

milber
New Signing
New Signing

Post by milber »

Thanks for reminding me WYG.
Time has passed but it's still very emotional.
Listened to the Wolves away leg on Clubcall.
Probably one of my all time top moments would be looking up at the Wembley scoreboard and seeing Bolton 0 Torquay 1.
It was truly Dreamland, way before the watering down of Wembley. Back then it was massive that little Torquay were playing at Wembley.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

milber wrote: 28 May 2019, 10:05 Thanks for reminding me WYG.
Time has passed but it's still very emotional.
Listened to the Wolves away leg on Clubcall.
Probably one of my all time top moments would be looking up at the Wembley scoreboard and seeing Bolton 0 Torquay 1.
It was truly Dreamland, way before the watering down of Wembley. Back then it was massive that little Torquay were playing at Wembley.
Quite, it was indeed

We had some friends over our house who were football mad ....I remember very well the tension coming out of molinux from the radio. Everyone was pacing about
DartShitehawk1969
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by DartShitehawk1969 »

Great memories of my first visit to Wembley.
Can't believe it was 30 years ago. God I'm old.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

They've done quite a good piece on the Sherpa Van final over the last few episodes of the Devon Live podcast.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Wow club call
0898 12 16 41 if I remember rightly, got an absolute rollicking from the old man when the phone bills came in !
Thank God for the internet & free wi fi today
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there. I drove down from Wiveliscombe to Teignmouth in order to get a copy of the Herald Express the day after the victory at Wolves; great excitement!
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

I was fortunate to see the victories at Bristol Rovers, Brentford . Remember that night John Bartlett got thrown out for ringing his bell.. I was also lucky to be at Wolves. They had local paper advertising Wembley specials with various bits .there fans giving us stick in the ground too. Wasted journey etc. Once we scored first we sensed we could win it. When the second went in everyone went absolutely ballistic. Even Lee Sharpe was there cheering and singing. Everyone seemed to go to the final as at that time probably only time we would get there
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Thank you westyorkshiregull for the memory

I was at Wembley that day my second visit to Wembley. Amazing to see my team at Wembley.

My first visit 30th July 1966 England 4 West Germany 2!!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

portugull wrote: 28 May 2019, 18:05 Thank you westyorkshiregull for the memory

I was at Wembley that day my second visit to Wembley. Amazing to see my team at Wembley.

My first visit 30th July 1966 England 4 West Germany 2!!

Wow that's amazing RE 1966 !!!!@
. As we older ones know , getting to Wembley back 30 years ago was very special and I belive we were first Devon team to do that. Playing at Wembley has such little magic to it , if I'm honest if we got to a play off final or cup final I'd be more excited if it was villa park or the like.
Was magical back then and watching that YouTube video back the mark loram had a massive hand in getting us there. His special skill was all over the goals we scored

North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 28 May 2019, 12:30 Quite, it was indeed

We had some friends over our house who were football mad ....I remember very well the tension coming out of molinux from the radio. Everyone was pacing about
Atmosphere inside the ground was electric
The first match played in this country after the Hillsborough diasater....and only two sides of the ground open but around 25000 in attendance.

We had to win by two goals and Wolves had not lost at home for almost two years. The best game I have ever seen - unlikely to be beaten.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

What a day that was at Wembley.

I went to the quarter final at Brentford. An unexpected win and a great night.

I didn't go to Wolves but my brother did although hadn't realised it was all ticket. He couldn't get into the ground but managed to get a view of half the pitch by sneaking into the board room of the overlooking university building. He knew we'd scored when he saw Kenny Allen run to the centre circle to celebrate.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Was wonderful. Because of penalties and the late finish the rail journey home was not easy!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Wolborough wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 18:51 Was wonderful. Because of penalties and the late finish the rail journey home was not easy!
What match was this?? Penalties??
TerryTorq
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Northcott

Post by TerryTorq »

Probably the 1991 Friday night Play Off Final against Blackpool.

My brother had a wedding blessing the following day when I turned up sounding like Burnley manager Sean Dyche.