Bromley v Torquay United 10/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Bromley v Torquay United 10/8/19

Post by lucy6lucy »

I’m sure the players are embarrassed by their display at Solihull, losing their day off to face a seething Gary Johnson in control of the remote control will highlight how poor they where. So hopefully we will get a reaction on Saturday, however Bromley are a good organised side so I somehow fear the worst. But we have to be positive, we can create chances and pass the ball, we just have to stop trying to think too hard, last night we got bullied and pressurised too easily when there was no need. I would be surprised if McDonald starts Saturday as he needs a wake up call, his body language at half time was very evident.
I would take a draw, but I’m going 3-2 Bromley.
Lucy
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I hope Keating and Andrews are left at home, Buse and Touray on the bench. I’d even go as far as starting Buse Left back!
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 20:17 I hope Keating and Andrews are left at home, Buse and Touray on the bench. I’d even go as far as starting Buse Left back!
Andrews? A little harsh to single Jake out, Asa Hall, Little & Lemonheigh Evans all had poorer games last night.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Andrews is shit, lazy too slow. I liked him last season. This season during pre season he’s been so lazy.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

You can’t change a bad game, poor play, or shaky performance. The Solihull game is in the past. What Torquay can control is how the respond and how they improve for the next match. I am prepared to give the benefit of doubt and still intend to travel to the Bromley match on Sat.

As GJ says, the inept performance is not down to the players talent or fitness, it all in their 'Heads'. So if GJ can instil in the players the right mindset, they can maintain a high level of confidence and quickly bounce back from one (and only one) bad performance. This is a young side and the expectations following on from last seasons success can feel overwhelming on such young players and can weigh heavy on their confidence. GJ is well aware of this and I am sure he will wave his magic wand and control the controllables, so these young lads will be in the right frame of mind to take the game to Bromley on Sat.

The way I see it is I’d rather play in a high league and have some bad games than play consistently good games in the regional south league. Bad days build better days, so I won't be surprised if Torquay rebound on Sat with a sizzling performance and the sweet taste of victory.
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

GJ has kept the players he knows are good enough for this league and some the one above if they learn and improve. To label Jake as "shit" is plain ridiculous. A top player who had an off day, it happens. Too many players having an off day and we get tonked 3-0 in the first half. These lads have earned our patience and respect for their professionalism. Let GJ and the lads do their job.

A word on Jamie Reid. I would love to see him get more clinical in front of goal. He has scored some worldies but missed some tap ins or finishes, that with more composure, would have won us the Solihull game or at least changed the outcome. If he can master the lack of composure infront of goal, he would be prolific at this level. He gets in the right positions and has the chances, he has to take them. If he can get that side of his game right he would be a million quid striker. Come on Jamie, there is no doubting your work rate or commitment, now show us your finishing skills.

A tough game at Bromley. The lads will be fired up and motivated. A hard fought 1-2 win to the good guys with Reidy getting both.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 20:17 I hope Keating and Andrews are left at home, Buse and Touray on the bench. I’d even go as far as starting Buse Left back!
I think you may change your mind about Buse at Left Back if you saw the how it went in pre season when he played at RB
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 23:39 Andrews is shit, lazy too slow. I liked him last season. This season during pre season he’s been so lazy.
Totally disagree with your first comment, however he does need to improve his work rate and defensive responsibilities.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I really think the comments on Andrews are just plain wrong, like many, he had an off night at Solihull and many of the team have to improve their defending not just the back four, as Johnson has said we knew they were coming down our throats with the way they play and we trained for it, what more can a coach do for a team than give them the opposition game plan. As for Reid I agree if his composure was better he would be in the championship, I looked at his stats for last year working on the Hypothesis that he may not travel well like some horses, but that doesn't appear to be the case , he seems to score as many goals away from home. On Saturday both the Borehamwood centre half's were knocking lumps of him and he seemed far more up for the game when he gets riled. I have watched Buse in most of the pre seasons, while he is industrious he is a little bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights at the moment, not saying he will not get there but it would be counter productive to let him loose at fullback and watch him destroyed over ninety minutes, much like Vincent was against Borehamwood. Either way for the numerous reasons given by other contributors I think we will come away with something at Bromley.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

SBP wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:46 I think you may change your mind about Buse at Left Back if you saw the how it went in pre season when he played at RB
Wherever he played, get him in and in LB.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Buse and the new striker need to get a chance Saturday. Do who do you guys think we’ll drop from the match day squad? Keating and Andrews for me. Nothing against Andrews personally but if he has not started last 2 games he’d be the one he’d drop? I may be wrong though
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Buse has been brought in as a utility squad player, i can't see him getting near the bench let alone starting, and he was absolutely torn apart at full back by Swansea's winger. One of his tackles on their player was a sending off offense, and possibly even gbh.

Jake Andrews bled for the cause last season, and GJ will make sure that he does so again. He's not quick, but if he can get his eye in then he'll bag a good few assists as he did last year.

It's far too early in the season for knee jerk reactions, this is the group of players we have for the season, they're the youngest 11 in the league, and they'll certainly need some coaching, but there's no better manager in the league to do it
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

First TQ game of the season for me and junior and looking forward to visiting Hayes Lane again. Since our last visit they have added a brand spanking new stand behind the far goal - unfortunately, we won't be able to use it as we'll be stuck in he (very) open away terrace... and, yep, the weather forecast isn't great, so don't forget your kagools.

Two games in, won one, lost one.... played good, played bad... we all knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park this season despite us finishing on a high last time out, but I'm expecting a decent performance tomorrow from a team we all know can perform much better than they did on Tuesday against highly-fancied Solihull.

With competition for places, I'm confident that GJ will get the best out of our young squad... it might take a few more games, but we witnessed a remarkable turnround when he took over from the incompetent Owers and it's now time for those that pull on the yellow (blue, white) shirt to show what they're made of against tougher opposition.

My prediction (for what it's worth).... Ravens 1 Gulls 2 (Reid double)
Attendance: 1,200 (300+ Gulls)

COYY
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Blimey we lost to the team that finished 2nd in the league above us last season. Plus we had our chances. No need to panic at all yet. Calling players shit is out of order. Remember how Reid’y got hammered a year ago? He went on to have a pretty good season.
Calm down a bit and give the lads some support, they responded well to it last season!!!
Anyone that thought we would walk this league clearly knows very little about football or is about 12.
COYY. 2-1 to us.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 23:39 Andrews is shit, lazy too slow. I liked him last season. This season during pre season he’s been so lazy.
Moron.