Doug Clarke

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Doug Clarke

Post by torregull »

Doug has sadly passed away,aged 85. One of our best ever wingers,Doug played 131 games for us; scoring 22 goals .Signed by Frank O'Farrell in 1965 from Hull City he was a key member of the team that won promotion and enjoyed an unprecedented run of success.
One of my favourite ever TUFC players and I was privileged to sit next to him and Stubbsy at last years Legends event as they reminisced about various matches they played together in.
His son Stuart also played for us in the late 1970's.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, torregull is right. I saw Doug Clarke play frequently for United in the glory days. He was an integral member of the promotion side and of the team that went on to such success the next season, laying the foundations for the wonderful days that followed.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

How time flys! Cracking player in a fantastic squad. i.e. Jimmy Dunne, Eric Burgess, John Benson, Andy Donnelly, Jimmy Baxter, Ken Brown, Doug Clarke, Ron Barnes, John Smith, Robin Stubbs, John Bond, Tony Scott.

Will be hard for many to know how good this team was - but if you compare last seasons glory and the feeling supporters had, then think the same but glory then was in the third tier of the football league. These players were the reason why attendances more than doubled, with up to 10,000 supporters regulary attending matches
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Always enjoyed watching Doug , strong powerful right winger with a ferocious shot. Scored many from distance with the sort of power only matched since by players such as Bruce Rioch and Donal Murphy
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

It is with sadness we speak of the loss of Dougie Clarke, one of our very special TUFC team of legends, who attended our TUST social last autumn.
He was signed by, and part of, Frank O' Farrell's dream team after a distinguished career. This included being voted by Hull City supporters as one of the best footballers to ever have played for them.

Personally, knowing Dougie as an old family friend to be a kind and friendly family man, who always had the time of day for anyone who wished to stop for a chat. His knowledge of football was astute, and his many interesting anecdotes relating to his long career were well worth listening to.

We send our condolences to Dougie's family and hope that their happy memories of him will help them through this difficult time.
With sadness,
Michel Thomas
on behalf of TUST
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Remember him well and saw him play many times, a regular in O`Farrell`s "golden era". Anyone interested Google images Torquay United 1967 and there`s a photo of that phenomenal team wearing blue/gold. Great side, happy days.
higgi1p
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by higgi1p »

Yes Mellow Yellow, was a great team and time. Think you mean Bobby Baxter though.👍
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

MellowYellow I well remember all the players you mention John Benson, John Bond and Doug Clarke and of course Robin Stubbs being particular favourites of mine.Doug was an outstanding player.
My favourite era watching United was from 1954 to 1967 when I moved to Taunton.
We had some terrific players and Frank O'Farrell was an exceptional Manager and a lovely man.
I believe he is in his 90's now and still lives in Torquay.

Football today is very different but the Gary Johnson's team plays some of the best football we have seen in many a year.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Aah what a good time that was. No squad numbers, just 1 to 11 for the starting line up, no names on shirts. Doug No 7 outside right Scotty No11 outside left, inside right and left, right and left half etc no resemblance to formations today.
Slightly off topic but 16 March 1968 suddenly springs to my mind, league 3 top of the table clash in front of MOTD cameras
Gulls vs BURY. We think we`re having a tough time.