Torquay United v Sutton United 16/11/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:29 I feel for Johnson and his limited alternatives but he cannot be immune from criticism on this display.
What should we criticise GJ on? Being 3 points off the top of the league or today's performance that cumulated with an injury list as long as your arm with two more added following todays match. You feel for GJ and acknowledge his limited alternative and yet feel he ought to come under criticism. Why?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:29Buse may run more than any other player but contributes zero.
National League player of the Month suggests otherwise. Maybe he wasn’t at his best today, but he was the only central midfielder left after Vincent went off. Was never going to be easy after that.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I realise he was player of the month and It must be for the amount of ground he covers and never stops but it is not for his creative ability, or the ability to disrupt play, as for Johnson, it was not criticism for the sake of it but he chooses the way we play and we have enough trouble with our centre backs keeping a clean sheet when we play a system we know, I think he understands that the midfield is lightweight and that is why he choose to play advanced full backs to take the pressure of them, it just didn't work and there was no plan B.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Wow I just had to look at the league table to check where we are...... Come on this is Torquay did anyone really expect us to win today??? I certainly predicted defeat in true Torquay fashion!
Mind you from all the emails you would think we were in a lot worse position..
We lose next week will be 3 defeats in a row.... Crisis......Sack the board, Osbourne must go!!! Football fans certainly are a fickle bunch!!!
Everyone have a fantastic rest of the weekend!!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

culmstockgull wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 20:33 I realise he was player of the month and It must be for the amount of ground he covers and never stops but it is not for his creative ability, or the ability to disrupt play, as for Johnson, it was not criticism for the sake of it but he chooses the way we play and we have enough trouble with our centre backs keeping a clean sheet when we play a system we know, I think he understands that the midfield is lightweight and that is why he choose to play advanced full backs to take the pressure of them, it just didn't work and there was no plan B.
Yeah look at all the midfielders on the bench for plan B and C.....
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I am just praying that Vincent and Whitfield injuries are not serious and they’re fit for next week. Else we genuinely have no hope.

It’s good to see Conor is back in 2 weeks, so that’ll be Stockport.

Reid needs to be wrapped up in cotton wall till next weekend. We cannot afford him to get injured now
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

In my view after the first goal we should have switched to 4-4-2- there was to much space in midfield thought we were a shambles today but we did have injuries and there is always next week. Either Palace,Millwall or Rovers were at todays game I know a scout who has worked for all three was at todays game could be looking at Reid there was one on each side and Suttons was best today. :-D
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Rjc70 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 20:10 National League player of the Month suggests otherwise. Maybe he wasn’t at his best today, but he was the only central midfielder left after Vincent went off. Was never going to be easy after that.
Tad harsh to say he contributes zero. He's risen from the lower ranks and has great work ethic - a player in development. He may not have been in the side had it not been for injuries. But his work rate and team sprint won him the accolade of POTM. He is only 22, a good addition to the squad and will only improve as the season goes on.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A very disappointing result but just consider who we are missing.
Asa Hall. How we miss his combative style and experience.
Connor Evans. Our best and classiest midfielder . A playmaker.
Armani Little. A human dynamo.
Liam Davis. A quality left back. I thought Medford Smith did OK on his debut.
Jake Andrews. Creative scores goals and makes them.
In the circumstances 21 points from the last 27 points in other words 7 wins from 9 games is an amazing achievement.
This is a very tough League.We are 3 points off top. There are 25 games left to play.
Have patience. We cannot win every game.
Reidy played with a bunyon on his foot. I am not making excuses for the boys I am just saying there is a very long way to go and we are in a good position with a great Manager
Keep the faith.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I like many others cannot believe we are three points off top spot considering our injuries, and some inept performances this season, I may on reflection have been a tad harsh on Buse, but no other team in this league would even consider taking a young lad with no pedigree or experience and ask him to anchor midfield against seasoned pros, I have no doubt he has potential but sometimes asking him to sink or swim could end up with him drowning I also consider our very poor goal difference will come back to haunt us, we just leak goals and that has nothing to do with injuries, its the same back four if you accept that smith is a clone of davis.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I am afraid there is nothing positive to take out of today's match. From a keeper who let two shots fired straight at him go under his body for the goals, to a five man defence which could not cope with their lone centre forward and looked nervous whenever the ball came near them, to a midfield which was overrun and a front two who barely had a sniff.

Wynter was deservedly given MOTM as the only player to stand out once Vincent went off. No one else deserves a personal mention.

Looks like two more midfielders will be out for a while - the squad is looking paper thin now.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Some other thoughts - their second goal was a definite foul (on Cundy I think). And the 'penalty' was not a penalty - the contact was outside the box.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
JSP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JSP »

Not to keen on the 3 at the back. Personally I wouldn’t have played niate and today proved it for me. I think we should’ve brung on subs a bit earlier, you could see we were in trouble way before we made changes so not sure why changes weren’t made earlier. Johnson got it wrong today , luckily it doesn’t happen often.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its clearly ridiculous to criticize anybody with the decimated team we have at present.

We must have a whole team of injured players at the moment, and if Whitfield/Vincent are out for any length of time its probably fair to say that we may well be up shit creek.

I've been out today and have only just realized that Jake Andrews was missing as well today. People need to get a grip.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Yes, some of our best players are out (CLE, Andrews, Edwards, Little etc) however I don’t think the injury list can be used as an excuse as aside from Buse and Medford-Smith (who has only just joined), everyone else on the team sheet yesterday is a first XI player. We were playing Sutton who had a terrible form record coming into the game and in a very lowly position - you would expect title contenders to win the game.

GJ and the players have to take responsibility for the defeat, they didn’t get it right and we suffered a 2nd poor loss in a row.

The team need to dust down and step up in the next game.