National League - Halifax v Torquay United - Sat. 21/11/20 - 3.00pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
james37
Trialist
Trialist

Post by james37 »

Brilliant result.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Modgull wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 17:13
Great result - looking forward to hearing the story behind the win!

Hall's opener, Warren's slip, Wright's off target penalty, Evan's late goal (thank Evan's).
Teams who get promoted make their own luck. ;-)
How's that for a short summary?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Iv'e just listened to the managers post match interview on BBC Radio Plymouth and you would think that we had just lost 5-0 and not won and currently sit 5 points clear at the top of the league !!!! That was a fantastic result against a fairly good team. what doe's he expect ? In football you need luck and to have the ability to grind out results, just like today. Come on Gary, we are not going to score 4 or 5 goals every week.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I thought the commentary and stream was very good except for a short period second half, if there was ever a win ugly then this was it especially after wright uncharistically launched the penalty so high its still in orbit, Other than that small error, wright , hall and cameron were outstanding, we were comfortable but certainly nothing more than competant against a team with only one win this season., nemane and waters coasted around the park and were robbed far too easily in possession, their goal was purely down to warren not having any pace but he played solidly with cameron having to play right back.If we play like we did today against a top six team we will be roasted. My son made the comment that he cannot wait for the January transfer window and at the end I could say nothing but agree.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 17:34 Iv'e just listened to the managers post match interview on BBC Radio Plymouth and you would think that we had just lost 5-0 and not won and currently sit 5 points clear at the top of the league !!!! That was a fantastic result against a fairly good team. what doe's he expect ? In football you need luck and to have the ability to grind out results, just like today. Come on Gary, we are not going to score 4 or 5 goals every week.
Absolutely nothing wrong with expecting more from your team, GJ has a plan & the boys didn't execute it the way he wanted, however, we ground out the win but GJ expects better because he knows they can be better.
If you're going to win this league then grinding out results is a must & GJ is entitled to his opinion on his team
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thought we played very well on the whole,
on top for most of the match, overplayed a bit at times, thought Warren slipped not done for pace - roasted against a top six side ? I don't think so . January transfer window ? What does that mean
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 17:34 Iv'e just listened to the managers post match interview on BBC Radio Plymouth and you would think that we had just lost 5-0
Yes, if you listened to the 'Radio Plymouth' interview you wouldn't be surprised by the manager's comments as they did indeed let in five today!!!!

We won 2-1 and were by far the better team over the 90 minutes, we're genuine contenders for the 'marathon not a sprint'.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 17:36 I thought the commentary and stream was very good except for a short period second half, if there was ever a win ugly then this was it especially after wright uncharistically launched the penalty so high its still in orbit, Other than that small error, wright , hall and cameron were outstanding, we were comfortable but certainly nothing more than competant against a team with only one win this season., nemane and waters coasted around the park and were robbed far too easily in possession, their goal was purely down to warren not having any pace but he played solidly with cameron having to play right back.If we play like we did today against a top six team we will be roasted. My son made the comment that he cannot wait for the January transfer window and at the end I could say nothing but agree.
Not quite sure what you are expecting, an away win against a team that had the likes of Luke Summerfield and Jake Hyde in their side in my books is a good result and could, and maybe should, have been by a more comfortable margin.
Really don’t think we need to strengthen in January, unless injuries come back and haunt us, as I think you run the risk of upsetting a settled group of players, who in my books are capable of getting out of this league.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

gatemam49. It was Gary Johnson who was being interviewed, not the Plymouth manager.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Any team that does not look to strengthen in the window especially if we are still top come christmas and rightly having ambitions of promotion then we are undoubtedly heading for trouble, our midfield is held together with string and brown paper and can break completely at any time, if our wingers get injured which logically at some time they will, we have absolutely no replacements,we are reasonably strong at the back but they are the players that invariably accumulate the bookings. I am not talking about whole scale changes but players of class will always fit in quickly.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Just watching Wealdstone v Sutton
A lot of effort , running , physicality, workrate - but we have more quality than these two sides - if we match that commitment we will be ok . I don't think we will be 'roasted' by either of these two
slay1373
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by slay1373 »

The Wealdstone and Sutton draw is a great result for us.
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

culmstockgull wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 18:53 Any team that does not look to strengthen in the window especially if we are still top come christmas and rightly having ambitions of promotion then we are undoubtedly heading for trouble, our midfield is held together with string and brown paper and can break completely at any time, if our wingers get injured which logically at some time they will, we have absolutely no replacements,we are reasonably strong at the back but they are the players that invariably accumulate the bookings. I am not talking about whole scale changes but players of class will always fit in quickly.
Did not think there is a "window" in this league, or is that something new this season?
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 17:57 gatemam49. It was Gary Johnson who was being interviewed, not the Plymouth manager.
Well, that went straight over your head then!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

How can anyone say anything other than brilliant. Our 1-2 victory over Halifax see's. Gary 'Magic; Johnson clock up double figures for the Yellow Army. after our first 9 games of the season to maintain our top of the league spot. Obviously, a huge part of Torquays surge up the table has been the win rate we've enjoyed under Johnson this season. Victorious in 7 of his 9 league games in charge this season – that 80 per cent win rate is Championship material. Early days? - maybe, but for all our near misses and struggles at the back today, Torquay are still grinding out results, hence our ascent up the table. Whilst the Gulls are nowhere near perfect, that much is obvious from todays display, we are, however, certainly taking steps in the right direction.