The present squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

The present squad

Post by dawlishmatt »

It is becoming ever clearer to me that our squad is simply not good enough to challenge for promotion. The starting 11 when everyone is fit is in my opinion good enough to win this league at a canter. Unfortunately when we have suspensions or injuries, we are relying on players playing out of position or other players in the squad being picked. Today against Chesham we were very poor and were outplayed for most of the second half. Last Tuesday against Dagenham, again we struggled especially in the first half and were lucky not to be 3-0 down at the interval. Last week against King's Lynn we were poor and came away with a 0-0 draw.
It is inevitable that during the rest of the season we are going to pick up several injuries and suspensions and i feel that this may cost us promotion.
I do hope that in January that uncle Clarke provides funds to allow the manager to strengthen the squad because we are in a fantastic position to reach the promised land.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I mentioned on this forum just over a month ago that I believed our squad was paper thin in certain positions, privately I believe we are going to have a really tough time come the new year, and I so desperately wish to be proved wrong. Our midfield is basically the only part of the team that is operating to an expected level that mirrors our position,the forward line is dysfunctional but with their experience may yet sort themselves out, and the back line through little fault of their own and mostly down to injuries now base their defence purely on trying to read an attack because they realise they cannot catch pacey forwards. If Sherring and Randell, arguably two of our best players return to their clubs in the new year then we will have an even bigger issue.Not one player from the fringe or non starting first eleven has made a name for themselves worthy of every week inclusion which more than anything reflects a weak squad.. Consider our position and division two, most would agree the difference is small, mainly fitness,concentration and a little more skill, and then ask yourselves honestly who would you give a contract to for next season if we are promoted.I came up with five.Four midfielders and one defender.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can't agree the forwards are dysfunctional! Wright 7 Whitfield 5 how many do you want? Top scorers in the league 27 goals ! Defence is third best in the league with 11 conceded in 14 games.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Can any club at this level really expect to have the necessary strength in depth - I'd think all clubs essentially have 15 first teamers and an assortment of supporting squad players. A large part of any promotion campaign is always going to be reliant on not missing key players for too long. Johnson has proved wiley in the loan market and I'd expect that to continue and higher level teams will like their youngsters coming to play under Johnson with home games on a decent plainmoor pitch.

Also worth remembering we have played more games than anyone else - other teams are going to have more crowded fixtures lists and run into the same problems of thin squads.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Maybe we will get a Sunderland striker on loan in the New Year.
I guess Randell is returning mid Jan as indicated, the way Argyle are doing although they won yesterday, they will want him and the loan won't be extended.
Little will presumably come back in the team then with Hall in central midfield.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with most of your comments exilegull and did think when I posted I am going to be shot down big time, being hopeful on injuries is not something you can ever associate with Torquay. Sending's off cannot be factored for but Cameron was lucky to only get a yellow yesterday, the same ref that sent off Hall would have definitely furnished a red. A nucleus of 15 is manageable when those 15 can turn out week in week out to do a job equal to those that they have replaced,our subs do not fulfill that description. Out of the starting eleven we have three in wright, hall and moxey who have to be managed and cannot play 90 minutes or two games a week on regular basis. I do not expect to see davis or nelson this season, Randall will undoubtedly be recalled and if we keep sherring we will be extremely lucky. Kerr can fill in but only in central defence, Andrews has done well in several positions after a shaky early season and one of the very few subs to come out with any credit, so that leaves Buse , he cannot ever be allowed to play at fullback like last weeks debacle and I noticed yesterday that even when he was in space we were very reluctant to pass to him, he runs and runs but has very little end product. So paper thin is justifiable, three proven loans of the quality like sherring and randell need to be added soon as.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I think Randall’s loan will be extended. Works well for both parties
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 13:03 I think Randall’s loan will be extended. Works well for both parties
I hope so I think he is a class player, seems to have so much time on the ball and usually uses it well.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 20:13 It is becoming ever clearer to me that our squad is simply not good enough to challenge for promotion...
Your brutal opening sentence epitomizes your distortion and misrepresentation of facts, data and evidence that has absolutely nothing to do with the truth. Why do you use this open forum as a license to write Fables that self-proclaim your own moral to the story viz. ' Im here on earth to fart around'

That said readers on this forum will always want news of the worst scenario because they don't want such bad outcomes to happen; So keep up the bad work :)
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mellow yellow, I think that the facts and data for the last 3 games speak for themselves. A fortunate 0-0 draw against a poor King's Lynn side, a 1-0 home defeat to Dagenham ( we were lucky to not be 3-0. down at half time) and probably the worst performance of the season so far against Chesham on Saturday, where we were outplayed for most of the second half.
You talk about evidence and data, I reckon you have been watching to many drowning street press conferences where the word data is used dozens of times.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What a ludicrous posting. In what world (apart from yours of course) would you have expected much else form Saturdays meaningless game, in which we gave a load of players some much needed gametime.

We weren't outplayed at all - predictably we were in first gear all the game and won easily. As we have three full backs currently injured what else can we do apart from play players out of postion? As for the Dagenham game - should have been 3-0 down at half time? we hit the bar just before they scored. We could and should have won that game easily in the end.

As for Kings Lynn - yes not a brilliant performance but the pitch was a quagmire and levelled things up, the ridiculous sending off didn't help and you didn't factor in that Kings Lynn didn't play on the previous Saturday which made a difference as it was our third game in seven days.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

dawlishmatt wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 09:46 Mellow yellow, I think that the facts and data for the last 3 games speak for themselves.
Exactly my point, your database is only the last three game to which you conclude :
dawlishmatt wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 20:13 It is becoming ever clearer to me that our squad is simply not good enough to challenge for promotion...
This does not take into account all the games played to-date that leaves us top of the league with no team able to overhaul us, even those with games in hand. Your opening statement does not promote transparency and clarity needed to make it clear that you are just superforecasting, trying to predict the future using statistical analysis of just three games and totally disregarding the full figures of our season to date.

You do appear to have a different way of “storytelling”, and the ability to “look through a different lens” when it comes to Torquays great achievements this season, but I am cool with that - keep up the bad work! ;-)
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

MellowYellow wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 15:08
This does not take into account all the games played to-date that leaves us top of the league with no team able to overhaul us, even those with games in hand.
While I agree with your sentiments you aren't quite accurate as Eastleigh could overtake us by winning all five games in hand and scoring enough to better our own g.d. Unlikely but possible.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Mellow yellow , If you read my full post properly you will see that in my opinion our best 11 will probably win the league easily. My post was made now because of our recent form and that we are about to enter the January transfer window. last season proves my point when we went from a play off position to almost being sucked into a relegation because of an appalling injury crisis. The players that Gary Johnson brought in were simply not good enough, hence i think we lost 7 or 8 games in a row. It will be a great shame if we throw away our fantastic start to the season because we don't have cover to allow for injuries and suspensions.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

brucie, long time no hear. Your comments about my post, well may i suggest a visit to specsavers. If you listen to the manager's post match interviews, well he says exactly what i mentioned in my comments.