European Super League

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

European Super League

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well, its all kicked-off over this hasn't it? :)
Fans revolting, manager getting fired, burning of shirts and 98% of people hating the idea.
I put an "article" on the Yellow Army FB page about TUFC, Halifax et al joining a "European Super Non-League" and several bit..... :} :rofl:
Anyway, could it be a good thing for us?
Those six clubs kicked out of the PL, so six spaces in every division........
Chances are we'd get promoted to L2......
Bring it on I say!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

I’d relegate the six teams to League 2 and shuffle the rest around and then we could all sit back and laugh as they struggle to make their way back up the pyramid. Would also ban them from FA Cup and ban England international appearances - just think how the lower leagues would benefit from increased attendance money!
grockle
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by grockle »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 09:16 Well, its all kicked-off over this hasn't it? :)
Fans revolting, manager getting fired, burning of shirts and 98% of people hating the idea.
I put an "article" on the Yellow Army FB page about TUFC, Halifax et al joining a "European Super Non-League" and several bit..... :} :rofl:
Anyway, could it be a good thing for us?
Those six clubs kicked out of the PL, so six spaces in every division........
Chances are we'd get promoted to L2......
Bring it on I say!
I am sure there are 6 "bigger" non league clubs than us, in the eyes of the authorities. The FL would probably want Notts County, Stockport, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Wrexham, York, Chester ahead of us. Even Yeovil have gone higher up the pyramid than us.
Be careful what you wish for. :scarf:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

grockle wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 12:10 I am sure there are 6 "bigger" non league clubs than us, in the eyes of the authorities. The FL would probably want Notts County, Stockport, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Wrexham, York, Chester ahead of us. Even Yeovil have gone higher up the pyramid than us.
Be careful what you wish for. :scarf:
Really?
I was - as per the "article" referring to teams that are currently in the NL top 6 positions - which would mean those teams would be promoted to L2......
And do you honestly think that Chester are seen as bigger club than us???
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

So basically you're saying we are incapable of gaining promotion through sporting and meritorious means and need to clutch at any straws available.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well this is a big story but there is one question that I would like the answer to and it concerns Manchester United.

Man U are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and last summer was valued at 2.4 billion US dollars.

So the Club is owned by its Shareholders. Although the Club have entered into a Legal Contract with the New Super League did they have the Legal Authority to do so without a Shareholder vote?

So far nobody in the press seems to have mentioned this aspect. There seems to be almost 100% disapproval of the proposal and Boris is even talking about Legislation.

This is all about the USA Money Men and all of Football, and that includes us, has got to oppose the idea.

One photo sums the idea up because of its caption." The beautiful game created by the poor and stolen by the rich"

I really hope and pray that this is one idea that will simply not be steam rollered through because if the fans boycott the games there will be no money and no ratings for TV. The fans not the money men have the ultimate power.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I think one of the inevitable conclusions if this comes to pass is that there will be a lot less money cascading down the pyramids, I cannot see much be achieved by the FA besides posturing and threatening to send a letter home to their mums. There will be very protracted legal action on all sides not least from the players who will not be chosen for their countries.If they are kicked out of the league which I seriously doubt I do not see Sky or BT paying the money they have up to now to televise Rochdale v Burton Albion. Supposedly it is a mid week league they are playing, that means weakened teams in the premier for Saturdays games. It is a monumental mess and has been brewing since the premier came into being.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:33 So basically you're saying we are incapable of gaining promotion through sporting and meritorious means and need to clutch at any straws available.
Did I say that?
Lighten up FFS it's a bit of fun amongst all the madness....... :}

TUST Member 468

wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

I gather that the board are just about to announce that we will not be joining the European Super League as one of the additional 3.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Real Madrid president saying that football "needs saving"

who do these people think they are?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Its falling apart!

any club involved who signed up should still be punished
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Now this ridiculous idea has been shelved is it a ‘warning’ to all football fans. Support your local team in numbers so that should anything happen that threatens your club you are able to show strength in support.
We probably all support/follow a club from the premiership but I know I would still rather stand (when we are able to!) watching Torquay on a cold Tuesday night in winter than watch the champions league on television. That is through good and bad times.
Get behind your team!!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Spurs have announced that the DVD from their 48 hour spell in the ESL will be available in the club shop from Friday.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

exilegull wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 11:04 Spurs have announced that the DVD from their 48 hour spell in the ESL will be available in the club shop from Friday.
Just think, Jose Mourinho can lay claim to being the only manager sacked by a ESL club.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by United62 »

DWB wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:55 Now this ridiculous idea has been shelved is it a ‘warning’ to all football fans. Support your local team in numbers so that should anything happen that threatens your club you are able to show strength in support.
We probably all support/follow a club from the premiership but I know I would still rather stand (when we are able to!) watching Torquay on a cold Tuesday night in winter than watch the champions league on television. That is through good and bad times.
Get behind your team!!
Definitely not! ... I used to be an avid watcher of MoTD but the football is now so sterile and tippy-tappy. Like you say, give me a cold wet winters night stood on the Popside any day (oh, for those days again!)
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''