Our New Players for Season 2022/23

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Our New Players for Season 2022/23

Post by portugull »

Now we are 3 games into the New Season I have just had a look at the experience of the Players Gary has brought in including the loan signings.

Ben Wyatt 196 Games and 9 goals.Ben is 26 and our most experienced recruit.

Shaun Donnellan 148 games and 9 goals. Shaun is 25 and looks like a good signing.

Aaron Jarvis 131 games and 8 Goals in his last 63 games.I excluded his games at Basingstoke when he was only 17. Aaron is 24 and if he is to make it in the Pro game this is a very big opportunity for him.

Corie Andrews 65 games and 17 goals. Corie is 24. Like Jarvis he needs to do well this season, big chance for him.

Ross Marshall 57 games and 1 goal.

Brett McGavin 54 games and 4 goals. He could well be the best signing only time will tell.

Ryan Hanson 36 games for Dover and 2 goals.

Will Goodwin 18 games and 2 goals. Looks to have a lot of potetial age 20.

Kieron Evans 6 games for Cardiff in the Championship that's it. Age20.'

Rhys Lovett. Goalkeeper 76 games age 25.

Ollie Tomlinson 11 games no goals age 20.

Dylan Crowe 1 game age 21. Will learn a lot at Plainmoor.

The two lads in on loan Nelson Iseguan and Tommy Hughes have played just 6 games between them aged 19 and 21.

My view is that Gary has recruited to a budget and bar 3 players the lads have very little experience and will be on a mighty big learning curve in the National League. They deserve our support.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Does anyone know what the Ipswich link is this season?

Did the club get a free trial to a scouting software with the ability to view one club 😂
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Gary's recruitments and they are letting him down, they are simply not up to the physical challenge of this league sadly.
my feelings from seeing all pre-season and all Home games so far is on the new bunch.

Wyatt....impressed in his cameo to earn a contract.....however is slow, probably a left back...not a wing back as he rarely gets forward.

Donnellan.....not sure if he is a midfielder or centr back.....time will tell.

Jarvis.......injured.....but look at his goal ratio ? embarrassing......maybe will hold the ball up is the best we can hope for when he is fit !

Andrews....as said is this the guy whose highlights on youtube looked a good finisher....he has been utterly woeful, spends more time on the deck, he has been outmuscled, outfought and outthought in every game. the one on one yesterday shows that he has no confidence whatsoever.
I hope he comes good for Gary's sake.

Marshall....Took his goal well yesterday....however a booking / sending off waiting to happen every game...slow, and his positioning at times questionable forcing shirt tugging which was evident even in pre-season.

McGavin....best of the bunch, high hopes from what I have seen.

Hanson....not sure what his position is tbh

Goodwin....20 year old who never stops running, shows some fight and is at least on his feet (unlike Andrews) does not complain at the physicallity
and just gets on with it....will prove to be an assett if he can keep his head in a struggling side.

Evans.....young boy again in the wrong place at the wrong time....should imagine he is hoping Cardiff come and rescue him from his nightmare.

Lovett....a good number 2 to Halstead, but still learning his trade.

Tomlinson....needs a loan...would be fatal to put him in should Omar get injured.

Crowe...was really impressed pre-season with him, the way he bombed forward and had high hopes.....however that part of the game has vanished
and his defending is a concern. This is what you get I guess in a team with no confidence.

I appreciate these are youngsters learning their trade in a tough League, but already 6 games in....I do not have to wait for 10, and have watched plenty of football over the years to realise many of these guys are not up for it.

The injuries are horrendous, and you have to question why ?

Be interesting to hear other views......I am seriously concerned, without doubt we are missing the tenacity of Laps and a fit Hall (not sure if that will ever happen again )

I live in Hope....COYY
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

DevonBee, a fair assessment of our players , just had another listen to Johnsons post match in which he states " I am going to work hard to get us a team that can compete in this league, it may take a few weeks but thats what we will do". Several ways to interpret that statement, does he have more faith than us that the ill, injured and weak of heart will have recovered to put in 90 minutes and for more than one game in any given month or more likely an acceptance that we have recruited poorly for the second season in a row and now he is going to get some seasoned footballers into the club. I think based on what we have seen so far the latter suggestion carries more weight.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

Agree culmstockgull recruitment poor and hopeful likewise we can somehow get 1 or 2 seasoned guys in to help even if on loan.
My concern is Gary is totally demoralised in his recent interviews...we need his spark back, to get this lot believing they have a career in the game
for sure.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Before these players were recruited they were described as 'marquee signings'.

I commented at the time that, based on Peter Johnson's recruitment record, 'boy scout tent' signings was a more appropriate description.

Based on reports on this site I think that I was being overly optimistic. A more apt description would be 'polystyrene sheet' recruitment.

I recognise that Torquay is hamstrung by budgetary restaints, but the recruitment over the past two close seasons has been worse than pathetic.

Peter Johnson is evidently not fit for purpose. Until he is replaced Torquay's long-term future is in the nether regions of non league football.
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

What a stupid statement. The team is improving. They’ll get there. Demanding Johnson leaves is so short sighted it’s scary
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Four points from the opening two games and none from the next four.

If this is improvement then God help Torquay United if it sees a deterioration in form!!

Everyone knows that if Peter Johnson wasn't Gary's brother he would have been given his P45 a long time ago.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Mo Gull wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 20:26 What a stupid statement. The team is improving. They’ll get there. Demanding Johnson leaves is so short sighted it’s scary
Whilst we’re on the subject of stupid statements perhaps you could enlighten us on how, exactly, ‘ the team is improving’
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Teams rarely alter the way they play, they may tinker, substitute one for another but nothing ever too dramatic, thats why our opposition, even this early in the season through watching videos have discovered the inherent weakness in Crowe and the lack of pace in Wyatt and that Andrews spends more time sucking on a dummy than playing football. Johnson is the preverbial closed book when it comes to releasing any info on the team, in fact any info, listen in the bar after the game to what the playing staff say, you can find out more in twenty minutes than Johnson gives away in a season, due to his persistence what we can say with some certainty is that 3-5-2 is his preferred play book, fair enough, he is the manager, so perhaps without giving anything earth shatering away he can tell us all why his recruits do not match that game plan.
There is only one player in the whole squad with a modicum of pace and that is Iseguan and he only gets a few minutes per game and usually only when things have gone pair shaped. So for those who think we are going forward or inproving , on what basis do you make that asseertion, games won, poiints accrued.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by DevonBee »

A pity that only 7 of us want to comment on 'Our New Players for 2022/23 season.....it is only being honest and an opinion on the new guys.
I believe the Gaffer is the one to turn it around, he has been in the game long enough with his experience. He took Yeovil to the Championship 2013/2014. I sincerely hope he turns this round. As I said earlier Gj has lost his spark in his interviews and hardly suprising after 4 defeats.
I am fully behind the Gaffer, but this current bunch of newbies really need to grow some starting at Southend saturday.
COYY
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Let’s be honest our recruitment again looks to have been poor but questions have to be asked of GJ. We have now played 6 leagues (although the warning signs were there in pre-season) where we have persisted with the same formation and style of play which just isn’t working. I get the impression GJ fees as though the players are letting him down but these are his players, his tactics, his formation and it is the job of the management to set the overall culture in the dressing room.

Good managers have to change and adapt. For whatever reason the players have not adapted to the system GJ wants. Whether that is because they are not good enough or because they don’t want to play in that system I don’t know but I would rather see us try something different in the next few games as if the performances carry on we are in a relegation battle.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

Just read Johnsons midweek chat in which he states that only one player will be unavialble on saturday that being Lapslie, so with a full squad of his own choosing ready to do battle let us see what we can come up with.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

So Halstead has thrown away his crutches? Is he 100% fit, I doubt it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 01 Sep 2022, 11:07 A pity that only 7 of us want to comment on 'Our New Players for 2022/23 season.....it is only being honest and an opinion on the new guys.
I believe the Gaffer is the one to turn it around, he has been in the game long enough with his experience. He took Yeovil to the Championship 2013/2014. I sincerely hope he turns this round. As I said earlier Gj has lost his spark in his interviews and hardly suprising after 4 defeats.
I am fully behind the Gaffer, but this current bunch of newbies really need to grow some starting at Southend saturday.
COYY
I've not managed to see a game yet and would never comment based on radio coverage alone so I just put my faith in our very experienced manager, he will turn things around once he's had enough time to assess the players properly.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com