Torquay United v Solihull Moors FC Tues 13th Sept 19.45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

Like everyone else is I’m disappointed, from the very first game against Oldham it looked like this team wasn’t going to be pushing play offs, however I didn’t think it’d be relegation worrying but here we are.

Recruitment absolutely has to be addressed as that’s 2 seasons in a row now where it’s not good enough, part of the blame is with Gary & his brother of course.

Overall though for everything he’s done for us & the fact I don’t think there’s anybody better out there, we should stick with Gary. If it comes to Xmas & the tactics still aren’t working then I’d reassess then as maybe just a fresh face with new ideas could be needed.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have delayed posting my thoughts on Tuesday night at Plainmoor to give ample time to reflect on the game.

Firstly Solihull are a very good side and very quick to counter attack which they did all night. With better finishing it could easily have been 1-7.

The big difference is that Solihull retained all their best players, bar Hudlin, while we lost all our best players in the close season.

They have pace and every time they had the ball 2 or 3 players got into space to receive a pass. In contrast when we had the ball so often the players were ball watching but not getting into space to receive the ball. Having said that we did play some lovely football every 20 minutes but that is not good enough in this League.

We are light years off being competitive at present and Gary and Aaron know this very well.

Our principal problem is scoring goals. 5 goals in 8 games says it all. Will Goodwin is doing very well with very little support. Corie Andrews is a frustrating player and that is being kind. Goes to ground at the slightest touch, no pace, seems like a moaner. Corie you need to get fitter and stronger.

We are the lowest scoring side bar none after 8 games.

Midfield to be good you have to boss the game. We are not doing it and are therefore not giving the strikers any service.

Gary is a master at improving players but he must know when we reach 10 games, Wealdstone & Wrexham away next, that he has to find a couple of players with experience to help this team which is struggling big time. We can only hope but surely a couple of loans with real quality could make a ton of difference. COYY.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I suspect the discussion about Johnsons future on the basis that there may be no one better clouds the issue,it is obvious based on the second season of very average signings that he is not being financially backed by the club, whether he ever believed what he said that about marque signings or just a PR stunt for ticket sales we will never know , the truth is they are untried and untested and under researched youngsters who cannot come to terms with this league. The mistakes are his and his alone and with the possible outcome of seeing his career end on a relegation low will he wish to hang around.
Will the club allow it to continue very much longer purely in financial terms of losing the best part of 1000 fans every home game while we bump along the bottom.The thought of giving it until christmas in the hope of a turn round is deferring a diificult decision and reduces the chances of any new incumbent turning things around.
People overly laud Johnsons success at the club, but dispassionately what is that legacy, he took us out of the south when we had the biggest budget and the ony full time team,we had a losing play off final against the odds and belief of many, we havent had a FA cup run since goodness knows when.
I beleive everything rests on the belief of the fans in the credibility of their manager, we are in the entertainment business he is fond of telling us, but when the only people getting entertained are the opposition fans that that statement just becomes another publicity statement, sounds good but means nothing.
In my mind his biggest failing as a manager is his singular belief that his way of playing is the only way when it is now blindingly obvious even to his most ardent supporters that we lack the quality of players to achieve that aim, that is not experience, that is a denial of reality.
Steve_TUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve_TUFC »

It didn’t affect the outcome, but surely a penalty and a second yellow card for their keeper….
554445E0-7462-45BE-96E5-D63AD808BC6A.jpeg
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Watched the highlights - from what I saw I would say that our biggest problem is our defence. All four goals were a disaster. I actually though twe didnt do too badly in attack and created a few chances.

Hard to see from the highlights but if theirs was a penalty then its hard to see how ours wasnt. I wouldnt necessarily agree that these decisons dont affect the outcome though. At 3-2 its a completely different game however bad we might be.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

infruiating to be at that game and seeing our players waiting for the ball to come to them rather than be proactive, it certainly would have stopped the 2nd and 4th and the 1st and 3rd were preventable by putting a challenge in earlier

their no. 11 was given the freedom of the pitch to do what he wanted, despite being physically taller across the pitch we appear weak on it
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

How the referee did not see that the keeper played the man and not the ball is beyond me.Definite penalty in my book.As brucie says at 2-3 it is a very different game.

Their first goal McGavin failed to get any sort of tackle in and just ball watched. Just not good enough. He did not see the danger.In this league if you are not sharp you will be punished. McGavin seemed at fault for the second in not clearing more effectively.

Wyatt clearly played the ball and their pen was outrageous. At the time we all thought Wyatt did not need to tackle but he played the ball. How can the ref not see that?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

The penalty Solihull weren’t given in the first half was a stone waller
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Definitely a penalty and a sending off for their keeper. Think he may of already been booked for time wasting. We thought it was an obvious pen from our place around the half way line.
Would it of affected the outcome? Probably not but who knows.
Johnson is shopping in the bargain basement, of course some are not going to work out, or not in the time they'll have. He'll find the ones to fill their places as the season progresses. We need to tie our best players to longer contracts, if we're offering one year deals it's no wonder most leave if offered something better. We're not going to sign the Armstrongs of this world. We have to find the gems amongst the dross and they have to learn in games.
Yes, for at least two goals our players backed off, that was infuriating. But I thought we at least looked like being able to create chances of our own
The attendance wasn't great, but certainly not 1000 down as has been mooted. Would of hoped for 2000 on a Tuesday night. Not being able to pay on the gate (regardless of being able to pop into the office before) has made a difference to our attendances.

Johnson isnt going to shoulder the blame, he'll look weak to us, the board and more importantly the players. Is he struggling, yes of course he is and it is showing a bit. Will he be able to produce a good side for us, yes of course he can if we have patience. Not even 10 games in yet.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I agree with a lot of what you say Taelee concerning the bargain basement, as Johnson said this week we have found some great experienced players who didnt or wouldnt come for whatever reason,in plain english that equates to we were not offering enough money.
He also said our options are mainly in youngsters,not ready made players, if true we have to accept that we are a devolopment squad no longer able to compete at the top end of the league, which for any supporter is disappointing and a little depressing.
Common sense dictates that the acquisitions of these youngsters must cover more than watching a few videos, you cannot go bulk shopping in the hope that a couple actually make the grade. I do not believe that Johnson brother knows where Ipswich is let alone having paid the place a visit. I have more faith in asking QPR to send us a handful of their development squad for the season than any recommendations that our scout offers, at least you know they have been coached in the right way and would come with a full brief of what this league is and what is expected of them.