Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

dawlishmatt wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 19:46 Mrs Dawlish and i have a conspiracy theory as to why the hell Gary Johnson is still our manager when he should have been sacked over 12 months ago.
As we are well aware, Uncle Clarke has put near 5 million quid into the club with nothing to show for his money. We are now in year 7 of his 5 year plan which has failed for numerous reasons. We are well aware that Osbourne has no interest in Torquay United football club and he is using the club for other interests outside of football, namely building a multi purpose stadium in Torbay. Obviously Uncle Clarke isn't interested in which league the club are in and therefore relegation to the National League south could be beneficial to Osbourne. Just think that if we are indeed relegated, unlike last time the club could go part time like most teams in the National Leagues North and South. This will probably half the wage bill and therefore dramatically reduce the money it is costing him each season.
Maybe this theory is believable........stranger things have materialised in football Mr and Mrs D. :(
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

MellowYellow wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 20:13 Just wondering your thoughts on who would replace him with the same breath of knowledge and skill-set. Maybe one of the eight managers who teams are only 1 to 3 points ahead of us? Or does your conspiracy theory extend that all these managers ought to be sacked and put out to pasture.
Pochettino got to the CL final in May and was sacked in November. It doesn’t matter what your skill set is, if you’re underperforming as a manager (in this case, that’s putting it lightly) then you deserve to be shown the door. We are bottom of the National League ffs!
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Admiral wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 20:41 Pochettino got to the CL final in May and was sacked in November. It doesn’t matter what your skill set is, if you’re underperforming as a manager (in this case, that’s putting it lightly) then you deserve to be shown the door. We are bottom of the National League ffs!
Absolutely spot on Admiral :bow:
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

MellowYellow wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 20:13 Just wondering your thoughts on who would replace him with the same breath of knowledge and skill-set. Maybe one of the eight managers who teams are only 1 to 3 points ahead of us? Or does your conspiracy theory extend that all these managers ought to be sacked and put out to pasture.
Hi MellowYellow, I wonder what happened to the " knowledge and skill-set" now? The league table doesn't lie.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 19:44 Just watched the post match interview with Gary Johnson....feels like there's a bit of fire in the belly missing. I'm sure difficult to respond so quickly after a defeat but I'd welcome him to come out and say its frankly unacceptable, the players are clear on their (under) performance vs expectation, i need to bring in better and quickly and in terms of a day off tomorrow the players are coming in to discuss what needs to improve and how following 1 point from 6 in what could have given 6 points, should have given 4 points and 1 point is well off whats acceptable. The post match interviews just sounds like the same old same old. Something needs to change and fast. The season is going too quick too turn a Millets tent into a Marquee. I'd also say they need to get on the phone to PAFC and ECFC to see who's available in key positions
⬆️ exactly this
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Admiral wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 20:41 Pochettino got to the CL final in May and was sacked in November. It doesn’t matter what your skill set is, if you’re underperforming as a manager (in this case, that’s putting it lightly) then you deserve to be shown the door. We are bottom of the National League ffs!
Although, I do not belong to the 'change the manager' brigade, I've not a problem with fans opinion on the manager being replaced I would just like them to provide a few named alternative replacements who are championing at the bit to manage Torquay and also have the ability to rise us up to the top of the league. All the talk is we cant get a quality player to come here, let alone a manager. I guess its just easier to shout for a fire-fighter appointment to manage a lop-sided team rather than show patience in a philosophy to build a team around a manager’s ideas. So please be my guest, name some alternative appointments.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

I would like to see a player manager, someone around 34 years old who has played hundreds of games in the football league. Keith Curle, Gareth Ainsworth, the guy who just left Exeter and many other players went on to achieve success as managers after starting their managerial careers as player managers.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Well done for naming some alternatives, but did we not go down that route with Hargreaves and Nicolson.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

How much would it realistically cost to sack Johnson? Downes would have to go to, and a new manager would probably demand funds for new additions. Is GJ on a two year deal?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

And there lays the hub of the question: "Funding demands". Ain't going to happen or Johnson would have already added additions. New manager will have to work with the current lop-sided squad and get us to the top of the league. And that ain't going to happen either. Now what?
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

MellowYellow wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 23:23 And there lays the hub of the question: "Funding demands". Ain't going to happen or Johnson would have already added additions. New manager will have to work with the current lop-sided squad and get us to the top of the league. And that ain't going to happen either. Now what?

We Go down, because something needs to change, Gary and Aron are not providing that something, we could be relegated before Christmas at this current rate. So a young manager with a young squad May just bring out a fresh lease of live. Because it ain’t working at the moment and it broke last season something ain’t right.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

And also if Gary and Aron Go, Do we really need an assistance manager, that could be money saved. Yes
Chrisjb66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Chrisjb66 »

Yeah…great. No ‘assistance’ manager and the manager can drive the Transit to away games. Easy.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

And so it goes on. Another defeat and were now getting cut adrift at the bottom. What are the club waiting for, surely we need a change.
Last edited by thebigp1 on 08 Oct 2022, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

No longer “go Gary” it is now Gary go!