FACR1 Replay - Derby County Torquay Utd Mon 14/11/22

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Admiral wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 09:56 Goodwin had a quiet game. I’d be tempted to go 433 on Saturday, bring Smith into the midfield.
This! We look good going forward, but it's pointless if we are completely exposed when we lose the ball. I think a 3 man midfield is needed to firm it up. Plus full backs not always bombing on for the same reason!

I still think we've got enough quality going forward to cause problems with one less body up there. We need to be hard to beat - grind out some one-nils , or just pick up a point if we can't win it.
The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

Last night, as on Saturday, we were shown that if you shoot from the edge of the penalty area, or thereabouts, you score. Trouble is we don't seem to have anyone who can shoot, and more importantly, keep the ball DOWN.
Also, as on Saturday, our defence is caught square so often. We need to keep our defenders aware, when we're attacking, that we need to get well behind the ball in case of a breakaway by the opposition.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Thought Torquay played reasonably well last night, however the difference between the two sides was that Derby had players throughout their team who weren't afraid the have a go. Torquay seem to think they have to play the ball between themselves and more times loose possession with a poor pass. The final ball just isn't there, like a lot of the games this season.
Still undecided about Jarvis ..he's certainly no Danny Wright!!
Just an interesting point, did anyone notice Warne's socks when he was being treated for the nose injury . I know the club is strapped for cash but his socks were full of holes quite large ones at that. Wonder if they are available in the Club Shop.
Still big game to come on Saturday and an even bigger one the week after COYY
PS. Great support from the Yellow Army.. were only outnumbered by Derby supporters by about 6 to 1 ..that's what being a Torquay supporter is all about !!
Griff1n
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Danis Salman

Post by Griff1n »

Many players cut holes in their socks to ease pressure on their calf muscles and prevent cramping up.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

desperado is that a fact that Evans is now fit and available for Barnet on Saturday?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Only quoting Dave Thomas in The Torbay Weekly who said Evans was back in full training but because of the 5 loans rule wouldn't be on the bench v Derby and may have to wait for his recall.
I would hope he is on the bench Saturday but who do you leave out of Ellis, Ness, Wearne, De Silva and Goodwin ? We've got ourselves in a bit of a pickle with all these loans 7 is it ? including Smith, it'd poor that we've had to resort to that many.
I assume we have extended De Silvas loan for another month as he joined on October 8th not that anything has been forthcoming from the club has it ? Though that's not surprising if the case as they don't keep us updated.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Griff1n wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 16:05 Many players cut holes in their socks to ease pressure on their calf muscles and prevent cramping up.
Decades ago we just use to play with our socks rolled down, although I note that Jack Grealish still plays with rolled down socks.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:05 Only quoting Dave Thomas in The Torbay Weekly who said Evans was back in full training but because of the 5 loans rule wouldn't be on the bench v Derby and may have to wait for his recall.
I would hope he is on the bench Saturday but who do you leave out of Ellis, Ness, Wearne, De Silva and Goodwin ? We've got ourselves in a bit of a pickle with all these loans 7 is it ? including Smith, it'd poor that we've had to resort to that many.
I assume we have extended De Silvas loan for another month as he joined on October 8th not that anything has been forthcoming from the club has it ? Though that's not surprising if the case as they don't keep us updated.
Says a lot about our squad when you would like to play all 7 loanees in the first team
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Thanks desperado. Goodwin may not be fit for Barnet and De Silva also got a knock last night.

If De Silva is fit I wonder if Wearne did enough to keep his place?
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Thanks Griff1n didn't realise that was the reason.I have noticed a lot have their socks over their knees
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 17:14 Says a lot about our squad when you would like to play all 7 loanees in the first team
Yes, it does a bit! wasn't that long ago we were decrying our injury crisis; Andrews, Marshall, Crowe, Evans, Martin, Jarvis, Halstead, Hanson, etc.

Most of those have come back now - I shudder to think where we'd be without Jarvis and Halstead, for example. I don't think we really have that many fully 'injured' any more - just Dan Martin, who would presumably be a starter - the others are all back in training although it's anybody's guess how fit they actually are.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

I think that if Goodwin is injured a 433 on Saturday is our best option. We could then bring in Smith to play in a midfield 3, or Evans back to come on as a LW or RW. We really can’t be relying on McGavin and Hanson together as starters. If Moxey is fit we could rest Ellis, but I can’t see that happening given his influence (besides last night’s own goal)
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

aggrey_25 wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 10:41 Smith? is he even at the club? he hasn't been on the bench assume he's gone back?
We can only name FIVE loaners in our matchday squad, so someone misses out. Smith needs to play on Saturday, to give one of the others a rest.
CammyVazzaFC
Trialist
Trialist

Post by CammyVazzaFC »

If people were wondering about Smith. He's still at the club. He came over and clapped the fans last night at Derby. It's just the 5 loanee rule that's preventing him otherwise he's still here
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest