Torquay United v Chesterfield Sat12 Nov KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I would so love to be the fly on the wall when Gary reviews the footage with the players from Saturday.
There were some positives.De Silva for a start with 3 goals in the last 2 games. We did create some good chances but again Wearne failed to convert from very close range at 1-1, Asa Hall was inches from scoring and their keeper made a very good save from McGavin.
However when you look closely at the 5 goals Chesterfield scored it is a horror show.
Goal 1. We have 9 players in the Penalty Box and 6 of them in the 6 yard box. How on earth did we let their Centre Back head home from 5 yards?

Goal 2. Short corner and Wearne is sold a dummy. Oldaker has no marker within 5 yards and scores a lovely goal but watch Donnellan turn his back on the shot.

Goal 3. Donnellan is way out of position near the half way line, jogs back and Chesterfield have time and space to score.

Goal 4. Again woeful marking and Chesterfield score because we are not organised, not concentrating and all over the shop.

Goal 5. Sorry but Lucas Ness is at fault with a poor pass intercepted and Tshimanga is away with the inevitable result.

It all comes back to the training ground. We are not organised it is glaringly obvious. Donnellan jogs about but cannot run. He is very often out of position which happens every game. He cannot and must not play Right back again it invites disaster.

I cannot see us beating Derby so why not make some changes to get a better shape defensively. I do not understand why two very experienced men like Johnson and Downes cannot work out how to stop us shipping so many goals.

We have to do the basics right and if we do not we are going down.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

portugull wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 17:42 I would so love to be the fly on the wall when Gary reviews the footage with the players from Saturday.
There were some positives.De Silva for a start with 3 goals in the last 2 games. We did create some good chances but again Wearne failed to convert from very close range at 1-1, Asa Hall was inches from scoring and their keeper made a very good save from McGavin.
However when you look closely at the 5 goals Chesterfield scored it is a horror show.
Goal 1. We have 9 players in the Penalty Box and 6 of them in the 6 yard box. How on earth did we let their Centre Back head home from 5 yards?

Goal 2. Short corner and Wearne is sold a dummy. Oldaker has no marker within 5 yards and scores a lovely goal but watch Donnellan turn his back on the shot.

Goal 3. Donnellan is way out of position near the half way line, jogs back and Chesterfield have time and space to score.

Goal 4. Again woeful marking and Chesterfield score because we are not organised, not concentrating and all over the shop.

Goal 5. Sorry but Lucas Ness is at fault with a poor pass intercepted and Tshimanga is away with the inevitable result.

It all comes back to the training ground. We are not organised it is glaringly obvious. Donnellan jogs about but cannot run. He is very often out of position which happens every game. He cannot and must not play Right back again it invites disaster.

I cannot see us beating Derby so why not make some changes to get a better shape defensively. I do not understand why two very experienced men like Johnson and Downes cannot work out how to stop us shipping so many goals.

We have to do the basics right and if we do not we are going down.
Yup.

Injuries aren’t helping with the back 4, though you could equally easily identify the flawed shape in the middle in the build up to the goals.

Our attacking play continues to look promising, we’ve just get more organised as GJs trusted “just score goals” approach isn’t working
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Didn't Ian Atkins once say when he was our manager,"give me XI Brazilians and I'll give you a team that plays like Brazil" you can kinda use this analogy now for the current team,we al want carpet football,one touch,easy on the eye,but even Johnson has worked out they simply cannot play that way,it's beyond them,so thats why it's a long ball,go long approach,I don't really blame him to be honest with you,The next 5 league games are gigantic,esp Gateshead,
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

The first priority is to stop shipping goals!
25 goals conceded in 10 home league games ! Ellis was the first step but he can't do it on his own, I am assuming more defenders are to follow.
Also I hadn't realised that we have only scored 4 goals in 9 away games and none in the last four.
I don't care about Derby , though hoping we don't get stuffed for our confidence,
just desperate for another league win.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Absolute horror show when you watch it again
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Still waiting for the 'marquee signings'!!!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

It's true, you have to play in a way that your team can deliver. I was chatting with my bro at the match the other day and feel that we are not a chess playing side, we are more like bingo! Sling the ball in the box, do it again, and again. It's a numbers game. Not strictly long ball, but at least an approach. A few close tactics to vary it up, and I feel attacking wise that we are fine. Its fun to watch.

Defensively it's a bit more of a struggle. But if we can tighten up at the back, then our attacking style may well be enough.

Ruddy exciting season and that's why we watch. Always entertaining. I'm loving it. Ok, if we go down, hey ho, we'll come back up. Better than mid table obscurity in my view.

Up the gulls. Keep going GJ!