Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I posted some views recently that we haven't got enough goals in the squad,I still believe it's the case,Jarvis and Goodwin,who I feel for,are having to carry the can,I really don't see goals from midfield happening,all GJ summer midfield signings aren't weighing in.GJ cannot be candid and tell it like it is because this would be so detrimental to the team and morale, but to have SO many loanees tells us ALL we need to know,the recruits/squad players sadly aren't good enough,hence the bulk of the starting XI are loan players.We need to close down better, constantly backing off,or allowing opposition players to run off us,it's so clearly evident.Having said all that,a big part of me thinks we'll stay up!!,I just think IF he can get a settled first XI,get another decent striker in,keep Ellis on,maybe,just maybe,the recruits will come good??,it's a huge task,my worry is that it'll paper over everything,players will leave in the summer,loans will go back,and Hall and Moxey are getting on,but for now we need to concentrate on trying to stay in this league.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

With Johnson at the helm we are gone.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Sadly it has become an absolute joke......the comedians Johnson has signed are not fit for purpose in this League...simple.
We all know that, we have seen it since the opening game of the season v Oldham. What they do meaning Johnson and Downes in training
I really don't know....it needs overseeing from an experienced coach, what is happening here.
To say we are unlucky every game.....referee, foul on the keeper which it was time added ect...has become laughable.
Reality is 3 wins and nearly halfway through the season...........it is pathetic, and this club should not be bottom of the league.
Anywhere else a Managent change would have happened months ago. It needs to happen now with fresh ideas, a younger manager given the chance
Fresh ideas and not stubborn and stuck in his ways.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I see we have conceded in each of our last 23 League and Cup games. Also we must have set a new record , have we ever gone from the start of the season to the New Year without winning a home game on a Saturday?
Unless those things change obviously we will go down, I remember under Nicholson we were 10 points adrift at the beginning of February when we won at Boreham Wood to start the recovery so not time to give up yet but let's start closing the gap now !
JA7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JA7 »

No, that Gateshead game was the turning point for me without a doubt the worst team to come to Plainmoor this season so far and we can only draw with them... Doesn't look good on paper does it?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For those that hold the opinion that it's far too early, to predict relegation, of course they're right in one sense, we all know the picture can change very quickly in football, But the league table doesn't tell any lies after 21 games played, if your bottom of the league, you're not there on bad luck, you're not because of bad refereeing decisions, you're bottom on merit, you're bottom of the league because that's where you deserve to be.

I think some of our fans are in full denial mode, others have brought a ticket to belligerence central, what I find comical, is, anyone who posts anything remotely negative on social media or TU related message boards, are met with where you at the game? Personally, I've been to 10 league and 2 cup games, this season has been a weapon's grade shit show.

So, stop telling me, we're putting the right effort in, we've played well for 25 minutes, we got some shots on target, only if we'd scored one of them, the facts are, 1 win at home all season, not won away since September the 3rd, 1 win in our last 14 league games, absolutely horrendous when you look at it.

Our current PPG stands at 0.7 we need to double that from Saturday onwards to 1.4 PPG to stay in this division, so if we keep doing what we're doing, then wake up, we're going down, we need to change it, and quickly.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

forevertufc wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 15:39 For those that hold the opinion that it's far too early, to predict relegation, of course they're right in one sense, we all know the picture can change very quickly in football, But the league table doesn't tell any lies after 21 games played, if your bottom of the league, you're not there on bad luck, you're not because of bad refereeing decisions, you're bottom on merit, you're bottom of the league because that's where you deserve to be.

I think some of our fans are in full denial mode, others have brought a ticket to belligerence central, what I find comical, is, anyone who posts anything remotely negative on social media or TU related message boards, are met with where you at the game? Personally, I've been to 10 league and 2 cup games, this season has been a weapon's grade shit show.

So, stop telling me, we're putting the right effort in, we've played well for 25 minutes, we got some shots on target, only if we'd scored one of them, the facts are, 1 win at home all season, not won away since September the 3rd, 1 win in our last 14 league games, absolutely horrendous when you look at it.

Our current PPG stands at 0.7 we need to double that from Saturday onwards to 1.4 PPG to stay in this division, so if we keep doing what we're doing, then wake up, we're going down, we need to change it, and quickly.
Exactly this.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

forevertufc wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 15:39 For those that hold the opinion that it's far too early, to predict relegation, of course they're right in one sense, we all know the picture can change very quickly in football, But the league table doesn't tell any lies after 21 games played, if your bottom of the league, you're not there on bad luck, you're not because of bad refereeing decisions, you're bottom on merit, you're bottom of the league because that's where you deserve to be.

Bang on
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

A huge result today.
8 points from our last 6 games now. That form is generally enough to stay up.
And we were unfortunate not to pick up more points in the two previous games.
We didn't look like a relegation side today.

Sitting in the cafe before the game I listened to Dagenham fans saying how poor Torquay are and how many they'd win by.
After the game I overheard one saying that we looked like the side pushing for promotion.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Well after todays results the situation looks a bit more promising. Scunthorpe, Oldham, Maidstone and Gateshead all losing.

Our next 3 league games, Oldham and then the double header against Yeovil may well decide our season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

thebigp1 wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 19:56 Well after todays results the situation looks a bit more promising. Scunthorpe, Oldham, Maidstone and Gateshead all losing.

Our next 3 league games, Oldham and then the double header against Yeovil may well decide our season.
Don't think it will decide it tbh, but it would go a long way to getting us up the table, 7 points from 9 would fit the bill nicely.
A pity we have thr Trophy game in the middle. Could really do without that,
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

I think some teams who look like they're not in the mix for relegation could easily be dragged in. E.g Altrincham, York, Dorking, Aldershot (shame they've won a couple on the bounce!). I think the teams that well and truly know they are in the battle can often be better equipped mentally than those who are seemingly not in trouble.

I'm encouraged that we look to be in games a lot more lately and could have gotten more points with a little bit of fortune. Still lots of work to do and as already mentioned the next 3 games are very important given the league positions of Oldham and Yeovil. 5, 7 or 9 points would be brilliant.

1 game a week I think suits us a lot better as well.

If we can sign Ellis permanently that could free up a new loan slot which would be good. Also, how far away are some of the injured lads does anyone know? Martin and Wyatt have been out for a while! Then Jarvis, Hanson, Lapslie, McGavin also missed yesterday. Can we get them all fit?
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Always aim high so 7 or 9 points is the target I would set. Oldham away and the Yeovil games are Massive for sure.
Mark Ellis is without doubt the key , I also would like to see Dillon De Silva tied up for longer , so tricky and definitely whats needed.
Martin will walk back into the side once fit, but that will not be for a while.

Build on yesterday with 7 minimum points and the Torquay world will be a better place....did our season start yesterday ?
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

What a difference a win makes, Sunday feels so much better.

There is no getting away from the challenge the club faces, we need to fight for every point. As others have pointed out the Oldham and Yeovil games are huge. A couple of signings could be the key to staying up, but all clubs around us are saying the same thing. The FA Trophy game could be just what we need to get Andrews up the speed, game time into other, but a win to help with confidence would be a tonic.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 11:16

....did our season start yesterday ?
Well, you had us already relegated in November so possibly in your house ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com