Will we stay up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yesterday's fantastic and vital win changes our current PPG 0.8 and lowers the required PPG to 1.3, to have any chance of staying up, and of course if the team keep bringing 8 points from every 6-game run, they will reach the 50-point mark.

But we need yesterday's win to be the turning point in our season, just like a year ago, when an away win at Weymouth proved to be the catalyst for much better things to come, for this win to be a good result it can't turn into a false dawn, the team must avoid defeat at Oldham next week, and win 1 of the Yeovil games, otherwise it's back to square one, with the games running out.

Fans aren't angry because we're not pushing for promotion, we know, TUFC is not the EFL club it once was, we know, TUFC can't compete £1 for £1 with Wrexham etc, but this whole budget constraints, is bollox, or to put it more politely smoke and mirrors, our club has the resources to be sat comfortably in top half of this league, we're angry because despite yesterday, we still face a lot of hard work to get out this mess.

A mess that the owner, so called local board all two of them and the first team manager have got us into by doing collectively an appalling job, so let's hope yesterday turns out to be the opportunity, to draw the line in the sand, and we can push on together from here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

forevertufc wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 13:57 Yesterday's fantastic and vital win changes our current PPG 0.8 and lowers the required PPG to 1.3, to have any chance of staying up, and of course if the team keep bringing 8 points from every 6-game run, they will reach the 50-point mark.

But we need yesterday's win to be the turning point in our season, just like a year ago, when an away win at Weymouth proved to be the catalyst for much better things to come, for this win to be a good result it can't turn into a false dawn, the team must avoid defeat at Oldham next week, and win 1 of the Yeovil games, otherwise it's back to square one, with the games running out.

Fans aren't angry because we're not pushing for promotion, we know, TUFC is not the EFL club it once was, we know, TUFC can't compete £1 for £1 with Wrexham etc, but this whole budget constraints, is bollox, or to put it more politely smoke and mirrors, our club has the resources to be sat comfortably in top half of this league, we're angry because despite yesterday, we still face a lot of hard work to get out this mess.

A mess that the owner, so called local board all two of them and the first team manager have got us into by doing collectively an appalling job, so let's hope yesterday turns out to be the opportunity, to draw the line in the sand, and we can push on together from here.
:goodpost: :goodpost:
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

:goodpost:
forevertufc wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 13:57 Yesterday's fantastic and vital win changes our current PPG 0.8 and lowers the required PPG to 1.3, to have any chance of staying up, and of course if the team keep bringing 8 points from every 6-game run, they will reach the 50-point mark.

:goodpost: summed up to perfection
JA7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by JA7 »

All I am seeing is teams around us and above us in the league making strong statement signings that will undoubtedly make them a stronger unit in the process.

We don't seem to be getting anybody in to help boost our chances of staying up in the National League.

Could this become a key factor in us staying up not getting fresh faces and ideas into the club?
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

I think we should try and get CLE back for a month. Get him some game time, give us a boost....
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

toastkid wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 16:44 I think we should try and get CLE back for a month. Get him some game time, give us a boost....
Which of the other loanees would you sacrifice?

Ellis, Goodwin, Kieron Evans, Da Silva, Wearne

One of them will have to make way to bring CLE in.

Dont disagree in that CLE would probably be decent for us, but with only 5 loans allowed in the match day squad, you'd have to lose one.

probably why Scott Smith went back to Wigan; he didn't do anything wrong, we just didn't have room (i wonder if Wigan saw that he wasn't playing and decided to recall him)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by Midlandgull »

Should we be looking at any possible free transfers to help improve us? Tricky as they'll probably not be fully fit! Below are some players who last played in a certain league currently without a club, according to transfermarkt.

Premier League
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... ier League

Championship
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... ampionship

League 1
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... l]League 1

League 2
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... l]League 2

National League
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... nal League
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I loved CLE during his time with us but I'm not sure how he would fit in with the struggling side we have now.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

CLE...not for me, he pretty much gave up in the last 4 months of his time here.
Not getting much gametime at Stockport, could not even get on the pitch from the subs bench in the FA Cup game this week and they used 5 subs
County manager Challinor obviously does not rate him either.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Good results for us in the games played today.
Dorking are slipping down the table and may well be joining the relegation battle.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I just think it's going to be incredibly difficult to stay up. I don't see Oldham going, they seem to be turning it around ,
so we have 5 points to make up on Yeovil who have a game in hand and 7 on Maidenhead and Aldershot.
We need to win one of these away games coming up at BW and Woking, can anyone see that happening ? Then an absolutely crucial 6 pointer v Maidstone which must be won , we haven't managed to win a 6 pointer yet. Then Notts County. It's an absolutely mammoth task, I'd be over the moon if we could have a chance on the last game - only Wrexham - imagine , we need to win to stay up , they need to win for the title, good pay day for the club that one - if /when we go down unless we can find another Jamie Reid coming straight back up would be extremely difficult.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

The jury's out for me, it's on the brink, could go either way, the next 7 to 8 games are huge, and on paper, it looks a massive ask, Maidstone is colossal, just very hard to throw in newbies, and hope it'll pay off, we need to keep Jarvis, I hold my hands up, been harsh on him, but I believe he could be key to our hopes, aswell as all the experienced senior players, what we don't want is to be cut adrift after these next 8 games, if the gap goes to 10 points or more, it'll be goodnight Vienna for me.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

I would still say it’s much more likely we go down then stay up. I think we are going to need at least around the 50 point mark to give ourselves a chance which means around 30 points from the last 20 games. What we haven’t been able to do is put a run of games together this season. Yes the Maidstone game is a must win but it isn’t enough. We also have Boreham Wood, Woking, Notts C and Chesterfield 3 away from home in the next 5 matches. Where are our wins going to come from?

Also worth noting we’ve already played Scunthorpe, Gateshead, Oldham, Yeovil, Maidenhead, Aldershot and Dorking all at home with the Maidstone game being the only home game left against one of our relegation rivals.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

thebigp1 wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 21:00 I would still say it’s much more likely we go down then stay up. I think we are going to need at least around the 50 point mark to give ourselves a chance which means around 30 points from the last 20 games. What we haven’t been able to do is put a run of games together this season. Yes the Maidstone game is a must win but it isn’t enough. We also have Boreham Wood, Woking, Notts C and Chesterfield 3 away from home in the next 5 matches. Where are our wins going to come from?

Also worth noting we’ve already played Scunthorpe, Gateshead, Oldham, Yeovil, Maidenhead, Aldershot and Dorking all at home with the Maidstone game being the only home game left against one of our relegation rivals.
Other than Aldershot, they have ALL been draws....... Not good enough, we have to improve. We will stay up by beating Wrexham in the last game at home.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

In terms of points required:

Looking at the last 8 seasons the average number of points per game required to finish one above relegation is 1.00 - 46 points from a 46 game season.

Based on this season’s points per game to date we would need 47 points to finish one above relegation (above Oldham).

Taking the higher of these, as we are currently on 22 points we’d need another 25 from 20 games. That is 1.25 points per game, which over a season would give a mid-table position (currently about 15th).

So despite what some have been saying, we’re not certain to go down, needing a miracle etc- we just need to pick up to mid-table form and that should b e enough to pull ahead d of two teams including taking account of the games in hand that some of our rivals have.

Of course it’s easy to say that but we still need to get the points – maybe 7 wins, 4 draws & 9 defeats from our remaining 20 games.