Torquay v Gateshead - 26th Nov 2022 - 15:00

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 17:22 How come we can never hold onto a lead?
Because we are dreadful

Gateshead time wasted to their hearts content and at 1-0 decided to play football - what happens? - we concede

Stunned at the end that people clapped that performance

Time for Gary to go IMO
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 17:44 Because we are dreadful

Gateshead time wasted to their hearts content and at 1-0 decided to play football - what happens? - we concede

Stunned at the end that people clapped that performance

Time for Gary to go IMO
[/quote

I have tried and tried to stay positive but now I totally agree. He has no ideas and no invention and no chance of keeping us up. He just looks lost and should go with what tiny scrap of dignity he has left. Get out Gary.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

No we weren't dreadful today, we conceded because of the most blatant foul on a goalkeeper I've ever seen .
Very little difference between today and the Aldershot 6-1 win - that night the goals went in , today they didn't - there's a lot of luck on football sometimes. No complaints from me today on the effort and performance. We played very well.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

We may have had a bit more luck playing water polo today, the weather gods definetely won the day, I agree with desperado we were not dreadful but we were poor, if you have that much possession and still only score one goal there was always going to be a time when they would come at you, regardless of the keeper being fouled you have to deal with it and their goal should have just been an inconvienance as we should have had three by that stage. I also do not understand taking off Mcgavin when evans had been out on his feet for ten minutes before.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Awful conditions. Rubbish ref - again. No luck.
Again we didn't play badly but couldn't get the goals.
Jarvis did well but one up front when the opposition are sitting back isn't likely to lead to lots of goals. But who else could we have played?
The only surprise was that Gateshead didn't score a late winner once they'd realised that with the wind behind them they had at least as much chance as us of winning the match as we did.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

desperado wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 18:47 No we weren't dreadful today, we conceded because of the most blatant foul on a goalkeeper I've ever seen .
Very little difference between today and the Aldershot 6-1 win - that night the goals went in , today they didn't - there's a lot of luck on football sometimes. No complaints from me today on the effort and performance. We played very well.
And we scored a goal that looked a clear foul on their player

Very little difference between that and the Aldershot game?

Do me a favour! how about 5 more goals!!

We didn't look like scoring all afternoon, the final ball was rubbish all game

We are in a results situation now, performances don't get you points, 6pts from safety with a terrible goal difference

It's not good enough
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

The concept of luck has been mentioned......the more I practice the luckier I get.
Maybe our lack of good fortune comes back to poor planning, preparation, coaching, attitude, mindset, capability, communication.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well I was at Plainmoor today and although Adrian Quelch is far from my favourite ref his replacement was scared witless of making any major decision for either side.

We dominated the first 70 minutes and were were incredibly unlucky not to go in at HT 2 nil up at least.

We lined up 4-3-3 with DeSilva and Wearne providing the width for Jarvis in the middle.

The wind spoilt the game but be in no doubt we should have put this game to bed before HT such was our dominance.

6 points adrift of 20th spot now is getting really worrying. Does anyone have last years NL Table as at 30th November 2021? It would be interesting to see who were the bottom 4 although of course only 3 went down. Dover were bottom I guess because of their big points deduction.

Two very tough away games now at Daggers and Oldham.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

That was easily McGavins best game for us . He seemed to have more pace and energy today. Unless he took a knock or was tiring strange to replace him with Hansen.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

portugull wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 19:54 Well I was at Plainmoor today and although Adrian Quelch is far from my favourite ref his replacement was scared witless of making any major decision for either side.
That's just what I thought. I don't think he'd have given a penalty or sent anyone off whatever happened.
Both goals would probably have been disallowed by most refs but he was too chicken to intervene.
I don't understand why he refused to book the Gateshead keeper for time wasting. One booking would have stopped it and wouldn't have been controversial.
Can see why he was only fourth official. I wonder if he normally officiates at this level. Or why a linesman didn't take over which is what usually happens.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

desperado wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 20:12 That was easily McGavins best game for us . He seemed to have more pace and energy today. Unless he took a knock or was tiring strange to replace him with Hansen.
Mc Gavin guess he owes us one ok game in 21 league appearances. Still looks lazy and for a lean youngster very slow.
However his passing today was better so hopefully working his way into a Marquee category, got about 75% to go.
I guess we can expect at least 2 of these Johnson summer recruits to work....or am I dreaming ?
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

McGavin was our best player today. Id have taken Hall off for Hanson. No descent options on the bench. Fine margins.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

And we scored a goal that looked a clear foul on their player

Very little difference between that and the Aldershot game?

Do me a favour! how about 5 more goals!!

We didn't look like scoring all afternoon, the final ball was rubbish all game

We are in a results situation now, performances don't get you points, 6pts from safety with a terrible goal difference

It's not good enough
Watched our goal back in slow motion and the defender went down far too easily for that to be a foul, on the flip side Mark had the ball in his possession before their player barges him to the ground, any decent referee sees that and gives a foul.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Thought we were, on the whole, good for all three points yesterday. We had a total of 21 attempts - 7 in the first half and 14 in the second - of which 12 were on target. Gateshead had only a handful of attempts (although Halstead had to make at least two excellent saves to keep them out) and really only pressed once they went behind. The fact that they came only for a point was emphasised by the fact that they retreated back into their shell after equalising.

I think we might have scored more than the one if Goodwin had been playing - Jarvis did well but needed more support. Thought McGavin for the first time this season looked reasonable and clearly has pace when he puts his mind to it. All too often this season he has tried to stroll his way through games. Ellis will be badly missed in defence if his loan is not renewed and Moxey was his usual dependable self on the left flank.

Unfortunately results are going against us and a worrying gap is developing. We do look like relegation-fodder at the moment and the die may well be cast by the time we have finished the Christmas/New Year programme.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

somersetgull wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 01:10 They were here at 2pm Friday. Had a training session seem very relaxed and rested. Nice brekky tomorrow and lie in. Probably less to travel than most of our first team. A nice walk to the ground for them.

Anyway 0-2 And then you might open your eyes after tomorrow.
Another top-notch prediction
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468