Torquay v Barnet - Sat 18th February - 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Great result but also a good performance

Been asking for a couple of weeks to go back to back 4 as 5 wasn't working and it made us much more positive going forward

Had plenty of fight and desire across the pitch

Only frustrating thing was allowing that freekick, bit of naivity from DDS to stick a leg in, (i'm not sure why he ever needs to come back and defend i'd rather he stay far up for a counter)made that last 15mins very hard to enjoy watching!

Momentum is key and Tuesday comes hopefully at the right time for us, having Collins back will be handy just to have a forward change off the bench

Best ref we've had in weeks too

Im sure Kanu had a good afternoon :rofl:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 17:37 Great result but also a good performance

Been asking for a couple of weeks to go back to back 4 as 5 wasn't working and it made us much more positive going forward

Had plenty of fight and desire across the pitch

Only frustrating thing was allowing that freekick, bit of naivity from DDS to stick a leg in, (i'm not sure why he ever needs to come back and defend i'd rather he stay far up for a counter)made that last 15mins very hard to enjoy watching!

Momentum is key and Tuesday comes hopefully at the right time for us, having Collins back will be handy just to have a forward change off the bench

Best ref we've had in weeks too

Im sure Kanu had a good afternoon :rofl:
Made I larf. :lol:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Fantastic result and all round performance and deserved.
Lapslie as always busy. It could have easily been more with a bit more composure. Now need to build on this with a win at Dorking and really put some pressure on the others.
Great to see us doing a bit of time wasting and sh1t housers along the way…..we are learning at last 👏👏
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

A very disappointing result for some of the people who post on this site.......they and we know who they are. The silence is deafening.

A super result and let the momentum build. COYY
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

First game at Plainmoor for 4 years today. Living in the USA has made it difficult to attend games, especially through the COVID lockdowns. Ironically my last game was the 1-1 draw away at Barnet in 2019.

Great game. If we play like that for the rest of the season we should survive. Lapslie was MOTM without question. Huge game on Tuesday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

A great three points and well deserved although last ten minutes had squeaky bottom moments, will Johnson accept we play far more confidently with four at the back. I was proud of Mcgavin for a change , although he got beaten up the first fifteen minutes after that he seemed to grew a pair and was impressive thereafter. Lapslie, how many miles does that bloke run in 90 minutes, hope Halstead was time wasting at the end or he is out for a few weeks and what was all that about at the end. Was lapslie winding them up I think he may have been. I will be at dorking tuesday, see you there.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Massive win, Tuesday is a don’t lose scenario, we’re right back in it now.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

We played so well in the first half and we actually dominated the Barnet team which was great to see.

A great run and pass from Evans to Jarvis to set up the all important first goal on 18 minutes.

MOTM was Tom Lapslie who was just everywhere and was the creator of our second goal with a lovely pass to Keiron Evans who set up Tope to score.

I felt we were suited to 4-4- 2 and quite honestly Barnet were made to look ordinary because we kept snapping at their heels with 1 and sometimes 2 players. Barnet created very little.

Evans is slowly getting used to this level because he is very slight in build but clearly has talent and he will learn so much from his time at Plainmoor.

Nico Lawrence was excellent again and I really did not think we had a poor performance from anyone in Yellow.

Now for Dorking who have lost 7 of their last 10 games in the NL. COYY.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

First half especially was just about the best we have played this season. Agree the players look happier in a 4-4-2 with 4 big defenders, Donnellan looks ok at right back and Marshall who has taken some stick played very well today.
Lapslie always runs his socks off but today showed a lot of ability with his passing, vision and runs, probably the best game I've seen him play, thought he was superb
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Personally speaking I always had faith that GJ would come up trumps with a re jig of personnel. Long way to go but there are signs we're improving and the best bit is today's results pulls in almost everyone from Aldershot down (games played for them).

Hopefully now fans will get behind him and roar us over the finishing line.

Internet problems in East Devon and Somerset......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by DevonBee »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 20:55 Personally speaking I always had faith that GJ would come up trumps with a re jig of personnel. Long way to go but there are signs we're improving and the best bit is today's results pulls in almost everyone from Aldershot down (games played for them).

Certainly not out of it yet by far.
Hope like myself u are on the Dorking terraces showing your support........an easier journey from Southampton, are u attending the game ?
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 20:55 Personally speaking I always had faith that GJ would come up trumps with a re jig of personnel. Long way to go but there are signs we're improving and the best bit is today's results pulls in almost everyone from Aldershot down (games played for them).

Great result and really do hope we can get out of this mess but not convinced Johnson is the man to do it for us.
Interesting that south coast internet problems vanish on the few occasions that we win.
Dorking are there for the taking. Can we do it?. I hope we can.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 18:34 A very disappointing result for some of the people who post on this site.......they and we know who they are. The silence is deafening.

A super result and let the momentum build. COYY
100% agree, can always tell if we've won based on how many pages a match thread has.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Gull in black »

What a great day to be at Plainmoor.
When the team was announced my fear of a Groundhog Day defeat were made worse when I heard Ross Marshall in the starting line-up.
Our four man defence coped well with the Barnet attack with good performances from all four and probably the best we’ve seen of Ross Marshall.
Lawrence and Lapslie both outstanding.
Another strong game from Aaron Jarvis and great for Tope to get tuck away a strikers goal.
I know we won but … one of the best refs we’ve seen. He sorted out the off the ball blocking of Tope early on and didn’t allow Gilbert to get in this ear after every decision.
A great all round performance from the team - bring on Dorking.