Torquay United v Wealdstone - 11th March

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Taelee73 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 18:56 Somerset Gull, you are quite tiresome. Gotta dislike a 'I told you so character', someone who needs to prove they're right no matter the cost or time they need to wait to say it.
Corrie Andrews was overweight and unfit, he fell over numerous times a game and just didn't fit into the Johnson mould. There's undoubtably a good footballer in there, but wrong time and wrong manager in charge for us.
You're right in saying he's tiresome....I'd imagine he is planning his open top bus parade around Torquay when/if we get relegated to celebrate being right.

He'll be lifting the "Open Your Eyes" Cup
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

Taelee73 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 18:58 Yep a red card for me, a stupid and reckless challenge on a slippery surface. He has to get in right every time and today he didn't.
Studs weren't showing, standard 50/50 and no more than a yellow, their players have fully conned the ref here
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Not sure of the lapslie challenge , like to see it again but from someone who is committed as he is it would not surprise me if it was a red, regardless we did not play that badly especially with ten and from what I saw Jarvis was knackered by 70 minutes, no need to go over the game kick by kick, we lost and by my reckoning we are 8 points adrift and even Johnson said at his post match we are relying on other results now.
Strangest thing about a very weird game today was considering we were down to ten and everyone was having to run until they were empty why did we not use our full compliment of subs, last ten, Mensah or Hanson could have done a job protecting the back four.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by thebigp1 »

Just watched the Lapslie challenge back. Hard to tell exactly but it doesn’t look good. Nowhere near the ball. The ref is close to the challenge and had no doubt.
thebigp1
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by thebigp1 »

Bristol_Gull wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 19:07 “Lean and quick” speaks volumes about the management of our club. It was evident he had ability, has with other strikers who have left us and gone on to score goals.

What exactly is going on at this club?!
I think this is a really important point. Corrie Andrews was clearly overweight and unfit when he was with us. What on earth is going on at a professional club if we can’t even get players in shape. It’s embarrassing and sums up why we are in the mess we are in.
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Big plus today for me was Dawson, a born leader full of encouragement for others. He has an eye for a pass and can tackle. Clearly far better than the likes of Hanson and McGavin. Pity we could not have got him in January.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Forget the ten man factor, we were yet again beaten by a better team, who passed the ball better, were sharper, more alert to the second balls, made runs, knew what they were doing. We are clueless at working an opening, tip tap it around, pass it back and lump it forward for Jarvis and the useless Fadahunsi to battle for. I never miss a home match but seriously thinking of giving the last 4 a miss, we are down, anyone thinking otherwise is a screw loose.
I have really had enough.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I couldn't get to the game due to family commitments, but seeing the highlights and listening to Hamish Marshall on the radio, just like Desperado states, we looked inferior pretty much in all dept's today, Tom getting a red didn't help, but knowing bits about opposition teams, Wealdstone 100% get it down and pass/move and create chances, we still lump it, at the end with the double line clearance we got unlucky, but overall, Wealdstone looked miles ahead of us, I'm wondering if 45/46 points may nick safety?, It's looking very bleak, From the highlights Lawrence looked very out of sorts, but I maybe wrong.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

DevonBee wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 19:50 Big plus today for me was Dawson, a born leader full of encouragement for others. He has an eye for a pass and can tackle. Clearly far better than the likes of Hanson and McGavin. Pity we could not have got him in January.
:goodpost:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Would really like to see Dawson in our midfield next season, would boost our chances of returning to the National League
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well obviously playing with 10 men for nigh on all the game decided the outcome.

Its a red card all day long unfortunately - the reaction from their player affected the refs decision no doubt but Lapslie gave him the opportunity to do that - ridicuylous challenge in the circumstances.
GullsUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by GullsUnited »

We seem to have a lot of refs in this thread, he hooks the player with minimal contact, I've seen worse challenges not given a free kick let alone a card, you can say that Tom puts the ref in that position but the ref still has a job to make the right call
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

I agree it was a red card decision given the way he went in and the prevailing conditions. But the team battled well today - unlike some recent performances - and nearly pulled off a result which looked unlikely as soon as they went ahead. Thought Dawson was the best of our midfielders but agreed that Halstead was a worthy MOTM for keeping us in the game with a series of 1 on 1 saves.

Can't understand why we didn't play more on the deck in those conditions - it was a nightmare for defenders made to turn - and why we didn't make their keeper play more. We had only three attempts in the first half and two in the second before they scored their second goal. We had another four, all on target, in the final couple of minutes after the goal which goes to show what we could have done with a different mindset earlier.

I think that was the final nail in our coffin - we are too far adrift now - and I am resigned to relegation. Its just a question of when it becomes a mathematical certainty - probably sooner rather than later.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

How anyone can say we were out of our depth today, without seeing the match is baffling.

Watching the match, I have to say that the effort from the lads was amazing. The opposition goal lived a charmed life at the end. I was proud of the performance. We were far from out of our depth.

Dawson is definitely a quality signing. We have to cut out the stupidity.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest