Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

They have had some players off us for peanuts as well, off the top of my head Paul Gibbs and Donal Murphy. I hate some of their supporters arrogant and patronising attitude towards us. One of my main gripes is I admit something they cant do much about and that is of course their bloody media coverage. All Westcountry TV showed of the recent friendly was their goal and mentioned he cost a million but couldn't be arsed to even show our goal ! Radio Argyle. sorry Devon lost Gordon Sparkes and have replaced him with someone even louder and more excitable which I didn't think was humanly possible !!

It always pisses me of when they are referred to as just Argyle usually when they win and then revert back to Plymouth Argyle when they lose ! If Exeter and ourselves were referred to City and United then it would not be so bad !

At my age and the length of time that I have "disliked ! them I don't think I will ever change !!

I hate saying it but I admire the way Exeter City is run, If only we were like them !!
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Dutchgull wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 19:39 They have had some players off us for peanuts as well, off the top of my head Paul Gibbs and Donal Murphy. I hate some of their supporters arrogant and patronising attitude towards us. One of my main gripes is I admit something they cant do much about and that is of course their bloody media coverage. All Westcountry TV showed of the recent friendly was their goal and mentioned he cost a million but couldn't be arsed to even show our goal ! Radio Argyle. sorry Devon lost Gordon Sparkes and have replaced him with someone even louder and more excitable which I didn't think was humanly possible !!

It always pisses me of when they are referred to as just Argyle usually when they win and then revert back to Plymouth Argyle when they lose ! If Exeter and ourselves were referred to City and United then it would not be so bad !

At my age and the length of time that I have "disliked ! them I don't think I will ever change !!

I hate saying it but I admire the way Exeter City is run, If only we were like them !!
https://torquaytalk.com/2021/08/01/ex-g ... ve-harris/

From a couple of years ago......all the players to have played for both clubs at that time. Good article
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks, a great article. A few names there that bought back memories ...good and bad !!
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Didn’t Barry Vassalo play for both teams in the mid 1970s?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Yes he did ! Maybe my imagination and I was 15 /16 at the time but I always seem to remember him shooting from distance rarely scoring but often hitting various parts of the woodwork,. If only YouTube was available then !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Scored a cracker in the 3-4 home defeat by Watford in ?1975/76.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

it was a bit later 77/78 and lost 2-3 !

https://www.11v11.com/teams/torquay-uni ... n/Watford/

Sorry I am such a saddo !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a site !!

https://www.11v11.com/teams/torquay-united/
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Well spotted - got the time and score wrong even though I was there! Ooooops!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Remember Elton John being there for that game. Dave Tomlin and Peter Coffill on the wings , they used to run teams ragged when they were on song.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Indeed - Dave Tomlinson on his day was almost unplayable. I recall there was some controversy after the game about Elton John not talking to the Press?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Dutchgull mentioning Donal Murphy got me thinking about our players with the hardest shots , he was definitely one along with Bruce Rioch of course. Gerry Fell too, going back a bit
further - Doug Clarke.
Murphy was highly talented , like Mark Loram
could have played so much higher if he had wanted to and put the work in but think he preferred hanging around The Hideaway with Roy Davies !
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 16:08 Dutchgull mentioning Donal Murphy got me thinking about our players with the hardest shots , he was definitely one along with Bruce Rioch of course. Gerry Fell too, going back a bit
further - Doug Clarke.
Murphy was highly talented , like Mark Loram
could have played so much higher if he had wanted to and put the work in but think he preferred hanging around The Hideaway with Roy Davies !
Hardest shot? have to go back a way - John 'Muffin the Mule' Bond - due to his ability to kick like a mule.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Doug Clarke was just before my time but I remember the rest. Gerry Fell great penalty taker...if my memory is working correctly !!

I was gutted when Donal Murphy went down the road !
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Any goals today as yet???
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

HT: TUFC - Southampton B 0-2

Brad Ash had a goal disallowed for offside and Southampton went straight into attack and scored 0-1. A few minutes later they extended the lead. Should also made it 0-3 just before HT.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/