Pre-Season Friendlies

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Good to see such love for our dear neighbours. Me, I hate em and always will.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

GULL 67 wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 11:41 Good to see such love for our dear neighbours. Me, I hate em and always will.
I hate them in a pantomime sort of way. There's no real feeling there but it would be nice to beat them in a game that actually matters. The 4-1 playoff defeat still rankles, of course, but that was more because it was the playoffs than because it was Exeter. I like the city itself (way more than Plymouth which for some reason I've always detested).

I guess I don't really see the point of *hating* a football team. There are team who I dislike either because of their owner(s) (most premier league teams, Yeovil), fans (Notts County), or some of their players (also Notts County), but even in those cases it's barely enough for me to look up and grumble a bit. Maybe it's because I'm getting older - I do remember having more intense feelings about it all in my early twenties - or maybe it's because I simply have other things in my life to get annoyed bout.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
DerekDawkinsJnr
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DerekDawkinsJnr »

happytorq wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 14:30 I hate them in a pantomime sort of way. There's no real feeling there but it would be nice to beat them in a game that actually matters. The 4-1 playoff defeat still rankles, of course, but that was more because it was the playoffs than because it was Exeter. I like the city itself (way more than Plymouth which for some reason I've always detested).

I guess I don't really see the point of *hating* a football team. There are team who I dislike either because of their owner(s) (most premier league teams, Yeovil), fans (Notts County), or some of their players (also Notts County), but even in those cases it's barely enough for me to look up and grumble a bit. Maybe it's because I'm getting older - I do remember having more intense feelings about it all in my early twenties - or maybe it's because I simply have other things in my life to get annoyed bout.
I couldn't agree with you more on all of the above.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

And they just lost 4-0 to Bristol City. You shouldn’t read too much into pre season but they might struggle.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

happytorq wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 14:30 I hate them in a pantomime sort of way. There's no real feeling there but it would be nice to beat them in a game that actually matters. The 4-1 playoff defeat still rankles, of course, but that was more because it was the playoffs than because it was Exeter. I like the city itself (way more than Plymouth which for some reason I've always detested).

Exactly my feelings as well !

Although I loved the result and enjoyed watching their fans leave early I have come to admire Exeter City as a correct way to run a club. Fan owned, they bring on their own players which they sell at a good price and often ensure good ad ons ..Ampadu for example. A Football League club !! What's not to like or at least admire ??

Plymouth Argyle now that's a different matter ! I have always disliked that mob far more than Exeter going back to the days of Harley Lawer in the Sunday Independent and clowns like Dick Woodacre on the TV right up to their present day media sycophants. The infamous case of administration where £18 million was virtually written off. The often bloody condescending "support " for little old Torquay. Plymouth "fans " living in Kingsteignton / Newton Abbot who sometimes travel westwards on the A38 to get their football fix rather than going to Plainmoor !!

So even though I have mellowed over the years as "hating " only raises my blood pressure I can never see a day in the future where I will not " dislike" Plymouth Argyle !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Hope so!
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Dutchgull wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 17:52 Exactly my feelings as well !

Although I loved the result and enjoyed watching their fans leave early I have come to admire Exeter City as a correct way to run a club. Fan owned, they bring on their own players which they sell at a good price and often ensure good ad ons ..Ampadu for example. A Football League club !! What's not to like or at least admire ??

Plymouth Argyle now that's a different matter ! I have always disliked that mob far more than Exeter going back to the days of Harley Lawer in the Sunday Independent and clowns like Dick Woodacre on the TV right up to their present day media sycophants. The infamous case of administration where £18 million was virtually written off. The often bloody condescending "support " for little old Torquay. Plymouth "fans " living in Kingsteignton / Newton Abbot who sometimes travel westwards on the A38 to get their football fix rather than going to Plainmoor !!

So even though I have mellowed over the years as "hating " only raises my blood pressure I can never see a day in the future where I will not " dislike" Plymouth Argyle !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same with me. Always despised the Green Slime especially during the 70s when they would turn up at our Saturday evening kick offs to cause aggro even attacking Torquay fans.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Dick Woodacre, so so biased. Pretty much all coverage of Argyle and always first up, even if they had lost, and they would have of course been so unlucky to do so. Five seconds of us if we'd won, but saying how lucky we were etc.

In the 90s when we last played them both regularly, I certainly felt anger and close to hatred toward them both. Bad experiences with both sets of fans and yes because they were rivals, that awful 4-3 defeat when we were 3-2 up at Argyle sticks in the mind. But again I was in my twenties and the blood boils fairly easily at that age.

Now I smile when they lose, but I don't really care much beyond that. If we were in the same league, it'd be like Yeovil, I'd want us to win and would hate to lose to them. But within a few days I'd be over it, unlike in my younger years where It would fester all season!

The way Argyle see is is of course a little patronising, but when your in the big leagues with 15,000 plus crowds and paying a million for a player, why wouldn't they. They don't see us as rivals, however in a season they could be playing City again.

For now, Yeovil, Weston are our rivals. Maybe in a few seasons Exeter will be again.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

Remember Argyle fans causing trouble in 1984 in a milk cup tie, they think they're this colossal sleeping giant, but let's face it, they aren't, some decent history, but not that much, I did like Dave Smith and he did of course manage Gulls and was a great character, was sad he died not that long ago.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

" The way Argyle see is is of course a little patronising, but when your in the big leagues with 15,000 plus crowds and paying a million for a player, why wouldn't they. They don't see us as rivals, however in a season they could be playing City again. "

I am just waiting for those 15 000 gates to drop back to their normal 5000 which has always happened in the past once they start losing a few games, which hopefully wont be long ! The most fickle fans in the country !
DevonBee
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie
Watches from: Pop side

Post by DevonBee »

Argyle the arse end of the country and the first stop from Cornwall hence the support they get. What else is there for them ? Think they will find their comeuppance this season 🤞
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

Not sure about that sadly. We managed and owned at rhe moment. This won’t last of course. Pleased to read some sensible comments from,posters about Exeter for a change.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Dutchgull wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 12:47 " The way Argyle see is is of course a little patronising, but when your in the big leagues with 15,000 plus crowds and paying a million for a player, why wouldn't they. They don't see us as rivals, however in a season they could be playing City again. "

I am just waiting for those 15 000 gates to drop back to their normal 5000 which has always happened in the past once they start losing a few games, which hopefully wont be long ! The most fickle fans in the country !
When was the last time Argyle had regular home attendances below 5000?
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

The last season was 2000- 2001 4944 !! OK 5000 may be a bit of an exaggeration but you surely can understand my point ? For a city with a population as at mid 2021 of 264,727 with Cornwall and other parts of Devon to call on it should be at least 15000 and not just when they have a bit of success !! Using the same stats Torquay had a population in 2021 of 52037 so our average last year of 2641 compares very favourably considering what a shit non league season it was !! Add to the fact that I think its fair to say that Torquay has a higher percentage of elderly people and retirees from outside the area who have no loyalty to Torquay United then its not too bad and very loyal !!

See all of of their attendances here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... C._seasons
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Dutchgull wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 13:07 The last season was 2000- 2001 4944 !! OK 5000 may be a bit of an exaggeration but you surely can understand my point ? For a city with a population as at mid 2021 of 264,727 with Cornwall and other parts of Devon to call on it should be at least 15000 and not just when they have a bit of success !! Using the same stats Torquay had a population in 2021 of 52037 so our average last year of 2641 compares very favourably considering what a shit non league season it was !! Add to the fact that I think its fair to say that Torquay has a higher percentage of elderly people and retirees from outside the area who have no loyalty to Torquay United then its not too bad and very loyal !!

See all of of their attendances here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... C._seasons
Yes, I get your point. I was surprised the level of dislike for Argyle compared to Exeter. We've had some decent players and loanees from Plymouth. I dont think there's been much trouble in the local derbies with them. Exeter on the other hand have always been the arrogant bunch up the road.