Torquay United v St. Albans - 03rd February 2024.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
RodneyJacksRightFoot
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RodneyJacksRightFoot »

Someone still got Leroy Rosenior's number? At least if there is a family connection, its with a club going places with Hull.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

knightmaregull wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 20:52 Ash is proven as capable at this level. He, like most of these players, should be top players in this league but have just been poorly managed.

Sadly too many players have passed through GJ's hands and been prematurely written off as useless for it to be a coincidence, look at Waters, Umerah and Street as immediate examples.

Instead we continue to play the loanee roulette waiting for the 1 in 20 player whose natural ability shines without the need for coaching.

I would not disagree with your poorly managed remark.
However some players just cannot handle this Big Club expectation and Ash is a perfect example of this.
I have no doubt there is a player there, but as an expected goal scorer for us his season has been a huge disappointment.
No doubt he will move on and come back to haunt us as they do.

I bet Ash, along probably with the new lad announced today, wish they could join the loanees fighting for the exit doors back to their parent club's youth teams.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

ClevedonRoger wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:51 Hi All,

Bristol City supporter here who is a big fan of GJ (hence following you guys).

I'm an outsider but, from what I can see, you can't blame the manager for the current predicament. Injuries have been an issue. And, as much as I hate to say it, the squad isn't up to the challenge. Yes, Torquay deserves more but changing the manager isn't always the answer (Bristol City sacked Nigel P and the results have got worse).

Would like to see you challenging for a play off place but you can only work with what you've got ..... Bristol City being a prime example.
I was at Wembley for the 1-0 defeat to Hull in 2008 and I can assure you that this is a different GJ.

Long gone are the days of “bounce around the ground”. He is a broken man, barely able to describe the match he has just witnessed without getting confused between the scorers and the order of events.

If you have followed Torquay closely you will have noticed that some of our biggest and most expensive players have barely featured this season and the loan signings are erratic and rarely add value to the squad.

I feel for the guy. He came to Torquay with great fanfare and initially did very well but as has been the case with virtually each club in his career, he seems unable to bounce back from a disappointing end to a season and it has been a rapid decline ever since.

Very hard to draw parallels with BCFC who have a billionaire owner, a large fan base, good geographical links into London and Birmingham and fantastic youth and scouting setups. BCFC are perennial underachievers given the resources available. Torquay have much more fundamental issues.
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Clevedon, fair enough.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

I'm an outsider but, from what I can see, you can't blame the manager for the current predicament. Injuries have been an issue. And, as much as I hate to say it, the squad isn't up to the challenge. Yes, Torquay deserves more but changing the manager isn't always the answer (Bristol City sacked Nigel P and the results have got worse).

Would like to see you challenging for a play off place but you can only work with what you've got ..... Bristol City being a prime example.
Not going to take the opinion of someone who hasn't watched any games

There is no direction/ tactics / fight, he is done and should have gone months ago

Not interested in hearing the nonsense of injuries, his players & training methods - The buck stops for the onfield matters at GJ
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You cant blame anybody else but the manager.

Terrible recruitment. Gaping holes in the squad due to him offering big contracts to injury prone players who are past their sell by date. Thought he would walk this league without doing any work and has been found out big time for the fraud he is.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

If we'd seen the assembly of a balanced squad as much as possible with in the confines of an NLS club, if we'd not seen injury crisis, after injury crisis for 5 straight seasons, if we'd not seen 3 seasons of constant regression, cumulating in what was one of the most avoidable relegations I'd witnessed anywhere last season, if this season had brought about an injury crisis through pure horrendous bad luck, then there would be a great degree of sympathy.

But it's not the case, far too many hamstrings and muscle breakdowns, and when we lose players, it gets to the point where we tie a yellow ribbon to the old oak tree, in the hope we'll see these players again, it seems to take an age get anyone fit.

The whole thing has gone stale here for many reasons, we've been in need of new energy, new direction since November 2022, if things are left unchecked we'll regress further and further, GJ has been a great servant to football, but his continued employment here is just becoming embarrassing for all concerned.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 16:51 You cant blame anybody else but the manager.

Terrible recruitment. Gaping holes in the squad due to him offering big contracts to injury prone players who are past their sell by date. Thought he would walk this league without doing any work and has been found out big time for the fraud he is.
The ownership is to blame.

We have been relegated twice to this level under their tenure.

They choose the manager. The give him the budget. They decide whether to stick or twist with him. They have let this situation fester for two years and done nothing. They let the issue of a fictitious stadium distract them from what matters to supporters.

It’s madness really. If they did something to make things go well on the pitch, they could be doing all their plotting in the background unseen, but when things are as bad as they are, it draws attention to their real motives.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I presume as the performance was SO POOR that is why there is no MOM thread? ;-)

If there was the crossbar would be a nomination from me as that saved us from a 0 - 7 thrashing !!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Hector, I appreciate it is all about personal opinion but Brucie has the right of it, if you run a company, you delegate to a manager and let them get on with it, if they do not come up to scratch you sit them down and say improve or else, in one respect you are right ,the owner has not been seen to be effective and continues to reward failure, however, this is johnsons budget, Johnsons players, johnsons style of play even as far as johnsons style of training which seems to bring with it an unusually high attrition rate in terms of injury. I just do not see how it is anyone else's fault that we are in this position, yes ,the new stadium talk, lack of effective communication are all background noise, they effect the supporters more than the manager or the players.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Johnson is not going yet I suspect!
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Brucie/culmstock gull,

I would’ve agreed with you about a year ago that this was Johnson‘s fault, I respectfully cannot agree with you now.

It’s Mr. Edwards was doing his job. He would’ve told Mr. Osborne (someone who openly admits he knows nothing about football, nor cares) “this guys got to go.”

Mr. Edwards didn’t do his job or if he did, he wasn’t listened to. At that point
and from there after moving forward the responsibility rests ENTIRELY on them. Please don’t let them off the hook. They are the problem.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Osborne won't sack Johnson, they are too pally though
hopefully can persuade him to retire if the pay offs not too big.
Surely Edwards has suggested it , he didn't take long to sack Owers once it was clear we weren't progressing under him. He can't still be under the illusion that Johnson is the best manager in the league !
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Robert Kraft is still “pals” with Bill Belichick, a guy who led the Patriots to 6 Super Bowls. Arguably consider the GOAT OF ALL NFL coaches
He still fired him
He said he hated doing it but he had to think about what’s best for the Patriots.
Nobody is immune from this in sports unless there is something else going on