Wingers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Wingers

Post by stevegull »

Was being discussed elsewhere so i'd thought i'd make a topic for it.

In my opinion, we have a relatively poor standard of wingers at the club (O'kane aside should you wish to play him wide) but perhaps the younger players will flourish under this pressure.

Someone (sorry, forgot who!) said that this season will be make or break for the likes of Halpin and Macklin, while both have appeared for us last season niether managed to offer anything in paricular or even appear from the bench on a regular basis. I would say that perhaps a relaistic target for the pair this season is to make regular 30min+ bench appearances and perhaps earn some starts in the side as the season wears on.

I still think the club could do with 1 (ideally 2 if it weren't for financial constrictions) quality winger who could deal with the cut and thrust of league 2 from the outset. Signing a decent winger could have been plausible if it weren;t for the inexplicable 2 year contract given to Stevens who must surely now have to show he can start games before we give him the heave ho out the door!

Will be interesting to see who occupies those wide births come the start of the season....
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It'll be interesting to see who occupies the wing positions in pre season. Halpin and Macklin both have the raw ability. Time for both to step up and fulfil the potential. As for Stevens, should he not perform from the start, then he'll be out on his ear :clap: probable a season long loan to a South Devon League team, if any will have him. :clap: :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trucker49
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Trucker49 »

I was as surprised as anyone when Stevens was handed another contract, especially two years.

Danny is clearly talented but my problem with him is his positioning. More often than not he will sit right in front of nicho looking towards the opposition winger rather than moving beyond the winger giving nicho the space and then allowing himself a free run at the full back when he does have the ball. This reduces the space that he and nicho have and creates difficulties going forwards. I was surprised that the previous coaching staff were never able to help danny improve this area of his game. Hopefully ML and his team can change that.

Both Macklin and Halpin have huge potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing them make progress in the first team this year. Having said that we definitely still need another winger. Isn't David Beckham out of contract in November?
Yellow isn't a colour, it's a state of mind
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

i would disagree - "Relatively poor" - I would be leaving the "relatively" out of that description.