Atieno as a winger?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Atieno as a winger?

Post by cambgull »

Now, I will admit I haven't yet seen a game this season, so do not know from experience whether this would work.

Do we think Taiwo could be used as a right winger with Bodin on the left and Howe up front? He seems to have all the attributes to do the job, much in the way that Zebro(w)ski did. This would mean we could drop Morris who seems to be far from impressive and would allow a midfield three of Manse, O'Kane and Lathrope (or Stanley if the banter board is anything to go by!).

Macklin, Stevens and Morris could then cover the wide positions.

What do we think?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

No, well, yes, but no.

Once Mackers is back, we can go 4-3-1-2 with Bodin behind the front two or Howe and Tai and a midfield of Manse, Eunan and Macklin.

Width, pace, power, class, we'll be unstoppable...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Id still rather play a 4-2-3-1. But thats just me. Ling loves his 4-4-2 or change to 4-3-3 if need be so we wont see no fancy formations.
Im starting to see why Atieno didnt play for Stevenage, hes an alright player but he just doesnt always do it for me. But then he has done some great stuff too.

Im just intrested to see what people think of him now since hes been here a while.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Now he's been here a while, it's time to comment . . .

. . . room for improvement

. . . can do better.

Must do better to gain an extension to his one year contract. :nod:

The January deadline will see a shake up of the squad, that is for sure. Consolidation is still the aim. Then there's the goal.

50pts asap will do very nicely thank you (consolidation), then push on to better our points total and finishing position of last season (the goal). :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Well summed up Trojan - why would we disrupt a winning team? Atieno is poor.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Just to be a little smug, but I got the formation right.

I still think he could work on the right, he certainly wouldn't be in the first team at the moment with Bodin and Stevens playing so well, but he could be decent when those options run out. I don't think anyone would disagree that during pre-season he did impress to some extent, I don't think there were many (if any) genuinely bad reports about him. The biggest difference between this Atieno and the one we saw pre-season is the effort levels which a good boot up the backside and a reminder of his weekly pay check being back at zero could do.

We shall see!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

cambgull wrote: I don't think anyone would disagree that during pre-season he did impress to some extent, I don't think there were many (if any) genuinely bad reports about him. The biggest difference between this Atieno and the one we saw pre-season is the effort levels which a good boot up the backside and a reminder of his weekly pay check being back at zero could do.

Atieno has pace, skill, can win the ball in the air and finish. So why is he not doing it ? He isn't a regular starter for starters.

As cambgull suggests, the effort levels need to go through the roof or Atieno will be the new "impact" player from the bench. A goal or two would do wonders for his confidence and that might be the needed kick up the arse to send his effort levels into orbit.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

He wasn't good again today. I missed the one you all saw in preseason but everytime I've seen him he has been crap.

A spell in the reserves, see how he does, hopefully scores some goals to boost his confidence. I don't think he's good enough, personally, and it's obvious why he got let go by Stevenage and Luton.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agree NickGull. Tai is truly awful. That pass today when he was under no pressure from anyone and we were on the break and he just lazily passed it into open space to noboby. He does try when he comes on and maybe he takes time getting adjusted to the pace of games but every time i have seen him he has been absolutely atrocious. I think he started the game at Bradford and his laziness was obvious for all to see. to have an impact as sub i think he needs to come on earlier but as a starter forget it. Its a shame as i want to see him do well but he is a million miles from league 2 level IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i'd only seen Tai play at Rovers, where i thought he did ok, and one fantastic run, which if he'd finished it off, would be in for goal of the season. then i saw him come on at crewe a couple of weeks ago, and he was terrible. i know he's entirely different from Rene, but Rene can control the ball, hold it up, and even run with it once he gets going. Tai offered none of that, and his first touch was shocking.

it's another "well done" to Ling, because there were some pre-season that questioned why he'd only given Tai a one-year deal. It looks now that he simply had to sign another striker, and wasn't 100% on Tai, but with limited time and resources, took a gamble and gave him a year to prove he deserves longer. if we needed to change anything in terms of wingers, i'd rather see Macklin given the nod ahead of Tai. At Crewe, LRT came on for the last 15 wide left, and maybe that's something worth looking at, but Tai ?? Nah.

would like to see us bring another striker in, on loan if need be, in January, cos if anything happens to Rene, we've got problems.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Atieno isn't a winger, that is for sure, but he's led the line well in these past few games. :nod:

While we wait until the loan market opens in February, this is the chance for Atieno/Morris, even Macklin to step up and cement a place in the first XI like Lathrope has done. :clap:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trojan 67 wrote:Atieno isn't a winger, that is for sure, but he's led the line well in these past few games. :nod:

While we wait until the loan market opens in February, this is the chance for Atieno/Morris, even Macklin to step up and cement a place in the first XI like Lathrope has done. :clap:
Blimy Troj, are you on mission tonight, going for 3000 posts or , the award for most old thread brought back to life :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:
Blimy Troj, are you on mission tonight, going for 3000 posts or , the award for most old thread brought back to life :)

:lol:

The answer is : award for most old thread brought back to life.

:lol: