January transfer window . . .

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

January transfer window . . .

Post by Trojan 67 »

. . . is open (4 days in) and so far, all is quiet on the Plainmoor front.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Martin Ling did say in his interview after the Argyle game that he is going to wait and see if he can get Billy back, then he'll decide if he needs to go into the transfer market to replace him. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 331369.stm
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
harpenden gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: E O'Kane

Post by harpenden gull »

I dont think its the possible ins that worry its the very possible outs!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

There is now a man called Ling.
Who knows when to do the right thing.
As he looks to the skies with his fingers in pies,
Good players in he will bring.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

harpenden gull wrote:I dont think its the possible ins that worry its the very possible outs!

Yes, the most important thing in this transfer window is to keep all our players, especially Eunan. If we are able to keep Eunan in this January window, then it's a successful month of the pitch IMO. Obviously we need to wait to see if Bodin will be coming back to play in a Torquay shirt and if he doesn't then Ling will be looking to replace him. But IMO I think that making sure Eunan is still a TUFC player by the end of January is priority.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

What is surprising is the fact that Bodin has now gone back to Swindon and there is debate about him coming back. As both Ling and Di Canio knew the window was coming and it appears that no prior arrangement has been made then i would assume that he is staying at Swindon. Why would he go back to Swindon only to come back again? This deal could have been extended with mutual agreement long before the opening of the window and the fact it has not leads me to believe that Billy ain't returning. In Martin we trust but it would be nice to be linked with someone because if nobody comes in we are going to struggle in the striking department. I have faith in Martin!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Makes sense to me to send him back. We don't play till the 14th - Swindon have two games in that time where Billy may play....keep him match fit, then send him back down in time for the 14th.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

austrianandygull wrote:What is surprising is the fact that Bodin has now gone back to Swindon and there is debate about him coming back. As both Ling and Di Canio knew the window was coming and it appears that no prior arrangement has been made then i would assume that he is staying at Swindon. Why would he go back to Swindon only to come back again? This deal could have been extended with mutual agreement long before the opening of the window and the fact it has not leads me to believe that Billy ain't returning. In Martin we trust but it would be nice to be linked with someone because if nobody comes in we are going to struggle in the striking department. I have faith in Martin!
Lingy isn't stupid, I'd imagine he wanted to make sure Bodin was the right one for the team. If that means leaving it fairly late to sort the deal then so be it. I'd also imagine Di Canio is being a pain in the rear end because we beat them and a simple conclusion which could have been sorted, is now dragged out because of him.

Whatever happens, I just hope we can get a deal before the end of the transfer window where the ability to loan someone to the "end of the season" is over. After that, we end up with the 93 day thing which meant Stanley couldn't play in the play-offs last season.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

austrianandygull wrote:What is surprising is the fact that Bodin has now gone back to Swindon and there is debate about him coming back. As both Ling and Di Canio knew the window was coming and it appears that no prior arrangement has been made then i would assume that he is staying at Swindon. Why would he go back to Swindon only to come back again? This deal could have been extended with mutual agreement long before the opening of the window and the fact it has not leads me to believe that Billy ain't returning. In Martin we trust but it would be nice to be linked with someone because if nobody comes in we are going to struggle in the striking department. I have faith in Martin!
Andy, we were trying to bring him back in but Di Canio wanted to bring him back to Swindon to take a look at him for a couple of weeks before making a decision on whether to let him go again.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Exilegull is spot on, Martin Ling said some weeks ago he had been in contact with Swindon regards keeping Billy Bodin, i am also going to back Di Canio and Swidon here, they have loaned a young player to a league 2 rival, Bodin has performed well and scored goals, it is only right that Swindon make sure that Bodin cant add something to there own squad before sending him back to us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry forgot to add, our current league position i think only comlicate's matter's here, at the moment Torquay can only be considered a current play/off/promotion rival of Swindon, i doubt that Swindon will make the same mistake Shrewsbury did with Jakey Robinson.

Not saying this is going to happen, however what happens if Swindon send Bodin back , he score's 15 goals in the second half of the season and we pip Swindon to a play/off place or even promotion, thats bound to be in the mindset at Swindon and could be the very reason why they dont send him back, the only way i can see Bodin coming back is if Swindon decide to sell him permenantly.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Fair points everyone, i just have a feeling we have seen the last of Billy but i hope i'm wrong.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

There's no rush but I would like to see us add another attacking player, and that's with Bodin at the club - if we can't get him back then we really need someone else to replace him (as he was Kee's replacement anayway).

At the moment we'll be lining up for Macclesfield with Atieno, Stevens and Morris as the front three, and McPhee on the bench. Add in Howe and we still only have 5 players to play those 3 positions, so at best 3 starting and two on the bench. The reality is that with injuries and suspensions more often than not, we're down to one attack minded player on the bench to bring on if we need a goal - and that's McPhee. If Howe get's another red this season then he'll get an automatic 5 game ban, were that to happen in April with the deadline gone and us in the play-off mix then it would kill any lingering hopes of promotion.

Huge credit should go to Danny Stevens for forcing himself into a regular first team slot and showing some consistent form, without him on form we'd be severly lacking in options going forward. Howe and Atieno, Stevens and Bodin (or Bodin replacement) and then a new signing to challenge those two for a starting place, with McPhee on the bench, and I think we'd be a good looking side and dark horses for 7th.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Just to clarify that. If you break our squad down positionally, then i think we have a very good starting eleven, as well as cover for all the defensive positions. Where we lack depth is the two forward wide men - when on form Stevens and Bodin are fine, but if either has a bad game (or Bodin is away with Wales), we're down to just McPhee to cover, and I don't think he's good enough in all honesty for a regular first team place. At the moment Bodin is gone from the picture (and Howe suspended for one more game), which removes all elements of choice and leaves us with an extremely weak bench, just like the one we had on Monday.

Olejnik (Rice)

Nico (LRT)
Oastler (Leadbitter + Robertson option)

Ellis, Robertson (Saah)

Lathrope, Mansell, O'Kane (Morris)

Stevens, Bodin (McPhee)

Howe (Atieno)

On top of this we do also have Halpin, Yeoman, Spear, Palmer & Macklin, but they all don't look likely to be in the first team any time soon based on the first half of the season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Anyone else see this hilarious twitter rumour today from an account called @soccersauce (never heard of it myself)?

"Free agent Jason Koumas could be in line to sign for League 2 Torquay. Koumas would replace the now departed Billy Bodin #TUFC"

Considering he was playing Championship football last season on loan from Wigan at Cardiff, and that he's reportedly training at Leeds, if Lingy pulled this one off it'd be up there with turning water into wine.