An idea

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

An idea

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not for the forum, but general. I was thinking about this earlier on at work and the more I thought about it, the better it sounded (in my head - I expect their to be a flaw that means it isn't possible)..BUT..

What do you guys reckon to a charity game sometime in pre-season, where our current squad play against TUFC stars of the last decade or so? Kinda like the ones they do now, but against players who were 'legends' for us in the last 10 years or so..

I'm talking Russell, Woods, Taylor, Rosenior (as manager), Hill, Bedeau (lol), Hargreaves, Sills, McGlinchey. Obviously some of them have retired but for a charity game that I think would attract a good crowd, it would be a good thing to watch. Also the ex-players who have retired obviously won't have to play the full game.

I may just be talking nonsense and I'm waiting for one of you to tell me why it won't work, but yeah, what do you reckon?
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

sounds a damn sight better than having the cast of friggin' hollyoaks or similar such nobodies. doesn't even have to be a TUFC legends - i'm sure Lingy would know enough names from his playing days to assemble a decent team. anything to generate a decent gate and some bunce for a worthy cause.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Love the idea Nick and would be 100% behind this. I really enjoyed the dotnet vs exeweb charity game we did a few years back.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Obviously it'd take a bit of work but for a local charity it'd be worthwhile. I'll post it on the main board later on, just wanted to see what you guys thought first. For the ex-Gulls it could be something like;

Dearden
Rb ( liam rosenior perhaps, played apart in our 2004 success)
Woods
C Taylor/branston
Mcglinchey
Rm (Rodney jack?!??!) or bedeau
Hargreaves
Russell/fowler
Hill
Graham
Gritton?

Leroy as manager. If that happened of happily pay £20/£25.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bump. Moved this into the main board to see what everyone else thinks. :)
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Great idea, would definitely be up for seeing a game like this. I'm sure there would be some older names who would be up for joining in, not just the 03/04 side.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Great idea! Hopefully, as cambgull said above, some older names could be involved.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

With recent events with Stan, and also closer to home with Chris Todd , it would perhaps carry more weight if this was done with a view to supporting Leukemia Research. I think this would help motivate some of those who have retired to pop their boots on.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeh, or even a local charity Mav. It could be a 'pay what you want' sort of thing, instead of a set price. Just wanted to gauge peoples opinions first.
Tq2Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Derek Dawkins

Post by Tq2Yellow »

Would love to see this become reality
:keepie: :goal: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

To the people who said older players, who else did you have in mind? Maybe Jason Roberts?!!? I tried to think of TUFC legends of the last 10 years or so.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Paul Gibbs, Andy Guerney, Andy McFarlane, Alex Watson, Steve McCall, Neville Southall, Rodney Jack would be a few I'd love to see play at Plainmoor again.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Chris Waddle? ;-)
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

This is a great idea and I hope Andy Candy sees this as I think this is just the sort of match that we should have had to open the new stand. it should have been the standard to fill the stadium. with a charity to benifit like Cancer or a childrens cause. (or dare I say it. Buy a pint for Dave charity. oh maybe not so popular lol).
Why not put it to the club. Just because Stoke is coming down doesn't mean that match has to be the opener. It would be a pre season match for sure but The legends match would be a better draw.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yeh Gloster I hope Andy sees this as a good idea too. If it's a possibility we could just compile a list of who we may want to see and the club can try and arrange something? Has to be Leroy as manager though...