If we get promoted.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

If we get promoted.....

Post by diamondgirl »

Do you think we will survive (at worst) in league 1, without any additions to our squad? :keepie:

Just been reading Graham Westley's comments, on the BBC, about Robbo & Andy Procter. He said "Its been tough for lads like "Robbo" and Andy Procter. With respect league 2 isn't league 1 and Torquay and Accrington Stanley aren't Preston North End" It's a little worrying that someone like Robbo might be stuggling. He was so assured for TUFC.

My thoughts are that we would need, at least, another proven goal scorer. What do you guys think?

COYY :scarf:
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Im sure if/when we go up we will add!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

Ling has the best contacts for getting League 1 level players..... although it may mean losing some existing crowd favourites in TUFC.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think the vast majority of the team is fine, its the wings I'm most worried about. We need much more pace and clinical finishing.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

cambgull wrote:I think the vast majority of the team is fine, its the wings I'm most worried about. We need much more pace and clinical finishing.
I can see Danny being sold in the summer.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Look at Stevenage, one of the worst sides I saw last season, could yet make the playoffs.

There is very little between the leagues, I'm not convinced we're a particularly great side, there is loads of room for improvement in certain positions that in my opinion we'd need to do for League 1 but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. We're a solid League 2 side, with a good defense for this level but that would be more severely tested in a higher league.

With our current squad No we wouldn't survive in my opinion but we wouldn't go with our current side anyway, like every other club there will be some out some in regardless of which league we are in.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

diamondgirl wrote:Do you think we will survive (at worst) in league 1, without any additions to our squad? :keepie:

Just been reading Graham Westley's comments, on the BBC, about Robbo & Andy Procter. He said "Its been tough for lads like "Robbo" and Andy Procter. With respect league 2 isn't league 1 and Torquay and Accrington Stanley aren't Preston North End" It's a little worrying that someone like Robbo might be stuggling. He was so assured for TUFC.

My thoughts are that we would need, at least, another proven goal scorer. What do you guys think?

COYY :scarf:
You could also say Robertson struggled when he first came to Torquay during the relegation season. Playing in a struggling side is the most likely cause of this rather than Robertson struggling at this level.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Lets also be honest, Robbo was ok, a good player for this level and Conference level but he was never a real stand out performer that you would say definitely should be at a higher level. I'm not surprised that he's maybe not been outstanding for them. We've not missed him at all, there is nothign between him, Ellis and Saah. In fact I actually probably prefer the latter 2, especially Saah and i can't believe i'm writing that now, such has been his turnaround. Saah just breeds confidence, is better on the ball and less prone to diving in stupidly or giving away fouls.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

We would need better quality in the bench witg perhaps Macklin type players leaving.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

think we will be ok, stevenage managed it without adding to many players, dont see danny leaving, think eunan and mark ellis will be gone to championship clubs, i have faith in martin ling, he did it at orient on a tight budget
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

It is though, Westley, isn't it, you clown!

League 2 and League one are all much of a muchness these days. If you didn't know, and they jumbled up all the L1 and L2 games on the FLS and you had to guess, on the basis of the football you'd seem, which teams were in which division, you'd get it hopelessly wrong. Exeter City have failed to score in 20 odd games this season, and they're still not bottom, how is that a step up from L2?

Yes, the extreme top of L1 is much better than here. But then, really Charlton and the Sheffield clubs are in completely the wrong division. Good L2 sides are more than a match for the bottom 3/8 of L1.

With the exact squad we have today, yeah, I'm sure we'd do quite well enough to stay in the division. With a deeper squad and the same starting XI (perhaps Danny and Morris replaced with Jarvis and someone), absolutely no real reason why, with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work, we couldn't finish, say, 13th.
As someone else has said, look at Stevenage, a bloody horrible, ugly side, if they can do it, how hard can it really be?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

Make no mistake about it there's a huge gap in class for the top 3/4 of L1. Yes Stevenage have done excellent but you also just need to look at Wycombe & Chesterfield almost certain for the drop and Bury in 15th to see it's not as easy as made it.

Unfortunately players like Rene have proven they're not upto the standard so a significant investment would be needed to stay up. If anyone thinks otherwise you'll be in for a huge shock next season.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

blueboy wrote:Unfortunately players like Rene have proven they're not upto the standard
Seems a little unfair? Whether it's been his own fault or otherwise, Rene has had trouble settling at any given club in his career so far*, but surely we have all seen glimpses of a pretty good centre forward.

With those final few excess pounds shed, and his wonky knee looked at, he could be superb.

*http://www.soccerbase.com/players/home. ... =Rene+Howe
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

blueboy wrote: Unfortunately players like Rene have proven they're not upto the standard
Seems a tad unfair? Whether through his own fault or otherwise, Rene has failed to settle anywhere in his career so far:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/home. ... =rene+howe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surely once the final few excess pounds have been shed, and the wonky knee looked at, there are grounds for optimism? I think he could be a terrific centre forward - he's not been half bad this year!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Grrrrr. Just typed a big long reply. When I went to post it, my browser had stopped working. As I am supposed to be working (unlike my browser) not got the time to do it all again. Sooooooo annoying. :@
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."